“Hotel staff and the shuttle service made our stay successful!”

Executive Inn & Suites
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
LA
“Hotel staff and the shuttle service made our stay successful!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at the Executive Inn for 4 nights, as it was recommended by our friend who was hosting a number of events over an extended weekend. There was a mix-up (or a misstep) upon our arrival - the room we booked was not available even though I had booked it way in advance, given a deposit, reconfirmed the night before, and alerted them that we'd be arriving from the airport late. There was no indication that we wouldn't be getting the Deluxe King Waterview room. In any case, the staff remained professional and did everything they could to get us to the correct room the next day. (The other King room they gave us for the first night was still water view but it was smaller and didn't have a solid wall between the bedroom and bathroom vanity area - not ideal.)

After that minor glitch, our stay went very well. All the staff, including manager Miguel T and various other employees, were welcoming, very accommodating and gracious. (By the way, when we called down to the front desk to get the internet code that first night, personnel who answered the phone seemed to know about our situation and apologized again, assuring us that things would be taken care of first thing when the manager arrived. Nice touch.) I'd read TA reviews about the staff and I was very glad that those glowing reviews were true!

We used the hotel shuttle several times (e.g., Jack London Square, Chinatown, BART station), which was great and I have to say, one of the reasons we'd chosen this hotel because we didn't have a car for the weekend. The free hotel shuttle is definitely a wonderful service - a great value and an opportunity to see parts of Oakland that we typically overlook.

Since the property is in the middle of renovations, I do hope they consider upgrading their so-called gym. It was a very small room with a treadmill, I think a bike, and multi-purpose machine. I couldn't imagine trying to work out with another person in the room - it was just too small with limited equipment and would get stuffy quickly.

Otherwise, the hotel was a good choice due to its courteous staff, fine breakfast, great shuttle service, free internet, and pretty water view. I would stay here again when I'm next in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank cosmotron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
ca
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised by the hotel and staff. Staying in Oakland because our granddaughter is in the children's hospital. First stay was at another hotel but it was very poorly kept up. Moved to this hotel after the recommendation of hospital staff. Very clean rooms, nice breakfast in the mornings. Very nice staff. Walking along the water with a nice view. Definitely would stay again hopefully for a fun situation.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank dbkeybrd
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Depending on why you are staying at this hotel makes the difference. If you need to be in the city, they have a shuttle to the local BART and it can be quite easy to get into the city. Unfortunately, there is nothing very close to this hotel worth noting. You need to either taxi or get a shuttle. If you work in this particular area of Oakland then this may be OK

There are two sides to this property and a sister property. We stayed on the non-renovated side as we didn't know any better. The renovated side is a world of difference from the old tired side we stayed at but I understand they are beginning to renovate this side too.

The water view is very nice in the evening although they charged extra for it. It should've been comped based on the poor shape of the rooms.

The lounge staff were quite good each and every evening. They also have a Steak and a Salmon BBQ dinner evening that is excellent.

I'm sure the reviews next year will be better for those staying after they finish the upgrades.

Room Tip: Ask for water view
1 Thank ageller7
usa
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Besides the large clean rooms, excellent staff at the front desk namely Basihir, Enrique and Cameron this was an awesome stay. The hotel offers a free shuttle to Jack London Square and within 3 mile radius. Continental breakfast with nice strong coffee and eggs and sausage etc. We had a family gathering and this made the trip perfect. There is nice walkway along the water that you can ride a bike into nearby town Alameda or in the opposite direction to Jack London Square.
The view from our room was of the Oakland Inner waterway. Just perfect. I'll be back next time if there are any room available now that the secret is out.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view. We never used the AC as it cools down at night and we slept with the slider op...
Green Features: We saw recycling barrels everywhere. The grounds had beautiful flowers with butterflies and humming birds. Pool was heated with a wind guard for added warmth.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah B
Davie, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I've stayed here a few times as I visit Oakland for work. Rooms are good, staff is friendly, always clean and you really dont get the noise from the freeway as you would expect. Everytime I go, you can see that they are always making ways to improve the place. Shuttle is great too! Its nice to go to a place that have a nice breakfast spread! And this one is on the house!! Do it yourself waffles, eggs, cereal, muffins, fruit... really can't beat it!!

Room Tip: If you can choose a room facing the water! Very tranquile!
1 Thank Melinda128
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is my third time staying with Executive Inn and Suites within the past two months. It was originally recommended by a colleague but the convenient of the shuttle service from the time I get picked up at the airport to the time i get dropped off to my office downtown keeps me coming back to this hotel. The facility, although a bit dated, is clean and currently going through a renovation. The staff are friendly and very helpful.

One staff that truly shined throughout my stay is Dorris. Her friendly and warm personality is very comforting and she always greet customers with a smile. She operated the shuttle majority of the time during my stay and she truly practice safe driving all the time.

Overall, this hotel is a great value for the money. The location is fairly quiet and safe. There's a German beer house that serves food about 1/2 mile and there's also a starbucks within walking distance.

3 Thank John T
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Spent a week here and wanted to let the readers know that this is a very nice place. I have passed up this hotel for a number of reasons. Freeway noise (never heard any) Bad location (couldn't tell) not near anything (not true either). As it turns out, this place has its own little dinner thing going on. A small bar. Food right down the street or near by at the very least. Had everything. Nice big TV, leg room comfy bed, I was pleased and it was calm and relaxing. and I wasn't on the bay side either, I had a freeway view. The place was just what I needed after working all day in the area. I'm scheduled to stay here again next week. Pool, spa, walking bay front... this place has everything, proving once again you can't judge a book by its cover. Or a hotel by looks alone. By the way... the staff was very helpful and friendly.

4 Thank SlammyLBC