“Didn't order this type of room”

Hilton Oakland Airport
Ranked #12 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
Los Alamitos, United States
“Didn't order this type of room”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Booked a non smoking room. Upon arrival all they had were smoking rooms. Was told by front desk they "air out" the rooms. Since the window only opened around 4 inches, don't know how they could "air out" the room. The room reaked of smoke. If it wasn't so late I would have gone elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2014

We were picked this hotel last minute due to a flight change from SFO to Oakland. I have to admit I was extremely nervous based on some of the reviews and the very low cost of the room. I will admit I was wrong. This isn't the nicest place but not near what I was expecting. This is a good selection if you just need a bed for the night prior to flying out.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Olathe, Kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I arrived to the airport at 10:45 pm on a Saturday night. After securing all of our luggage, we called the hotel for a pickup at 11:00 pm. There were quite a few people standing outside in the designated area waiting for their hotel shuttles to pick up, and all of them were gone before we were. We did not get picked up until 11:25 pm, which I thought was a tad long for a pickup for a hotel with such close proximity to the airport. When we arrived at the hotel, I was really expecting to get checked in pretty quickly, this was not the case. The lobby counter was staffed by a single person who was completely overwhelmed. There were 2 people in line in front of us, and one person behind us. She was only able to help people at the front desk between phone calls from customers and phone calls to employees relaying customer requests. This was a pretty bad system. It took about 30 minutes to get checked in. Also when I booked my room, I booked a package that was supposed to come with free breakfast buffet for 2. I asked about this and was told my reservation did not. I inquired about my rate, because it was $195, and was told that was the standard rate without breakfast for 2. I of course knew this was not the case because I had booked this only a few hours before, and knew the base rate was $179, and $195 with breakfast. I asked again, and again was told my rate did not come with breakfast. I asked a third time and said I could show a confirmation with this information in it, and at that point the included breakfast was miraculously found. I do not know whether this was intentional or not, but it seems a little strange.

Upon roaming through the hotel and getting to the rooms, you get the feeling that this hotel is severely in need of a makeover. I do not stay at many Hiltons and instead choose Marriott, and if this is how most Hiltons are I am rather happy with my decision. The hotel just felt really old. The rooms were old, the paint was old, everything was just out of date.

After 11:30 pm, there also is nothing open in the hotel to get food, so if you're going to be hungry bring some money for the candy machine because that is all that is available.

This is not a terrible place to stay if you are in need of staying close to the Oakland Airport, however there are better choices at better prices, including the Holiday Inn Express I had stayed at 2 weeks before. If I was flying through Oakland and all other options were booked, I would pick this hotel. It definitely is not my first choice, however.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Oakland hotels

Honolulu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

As many know, Oakland can less than paradise. The Hilton Oakland Airport Hotel is however a wonderful refuge and a joy to stay at. I recommend for both business travelers and vacationers that need a place near the airport for an early flight. Aloha

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have stayed here twice with my son in college at Berkeley. The access to the Oakland airport and campus is easy. I'd highly recommend flying in and out of Oakland for that campus. Oakland airport is great. Beware there is NO free breakfast here and they charge you to park.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank patricial659
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

It's an older Hilton. It's clean and spacious. Breakfast a little pricey at $15 for buffet. Elevator in building very slow and there is only one. All 5 wings are separate so, for safety you might want a second floor or higher. There hallways are interior and you need to use your room key card to get into the building so feel better. Had a noises upper stairs neighbor that was doing Zumba after 10pm but other then that, it was quiet.

Stayed May 2014
Dulles, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

rooms have musty odor and couldn't tell if it was from air conditioner or carpet/curtains. noise heard clearly from next door and above; parking fee and parking far from rooms, always full; parking exit/enter didn't work due to miscode of room key. Toilet wobbly. Maybe a 2 1/2 star facility.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business