“Great Downtown Hotel”

Oakland Marriott City Center
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I've stayed at this hotel many times for business and I have always been very happy with the hotel. The only problem I had is one time I was in a room next to the elevator and it was extremely loud. At 11pm I had to call the front desk and request to be moved to another room. They were wonderful and switched me to another room without any sort of hassle.

This trip there were some interesting issues with the temperature in the meeting rooms (too hot), but it was only one session on one day. The key at any downtown hotel is room location. I have been on both sides of the hotel and I love the view of the Tribune tower on the even numbered side of the hotel, but it can be loud (street noise). I strongly recommend getting on a high floor if you have an even numbered room. The odd numbered rooms face San Francisco (in the distance) and are much quieter. The only rooms I would AVOID are rooms ending in x17, x19, x20, x22.... (for example 317, 319, 320, 322 or 417, 419, 420, 422 etc.) these are the rooms near the elevator x20 and x22 are across front he elevator which is not terrible, but rooms x17 and x19 are backed-up to the elevator and it is REALLY hard to sleep in those rooms. Even after having a beer at Pacific Brewing Company I still could not sleep! I will NEVER stay in one of those rooms again!

The people who work at this hotel are awesome!

If you like my room tips, click like for my review.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Irvine-Robbie

Reviewed 1 February 2014

I stayed here last week for a business trip. I have not stayed in at a Marriott in a long time. I have been loyal to the Starwood brands but, I had a conference here and really had no choice.

I checked in the day before using the mobile app. The morning of my stay, I was alerted on my phone that my room was ready for me. Upon arrival I walked up to the mobile check in desk and my key was waiting after showing my ID. This feature was really great and I will use this again.

I got to my room it was nice and clean. I will say the sun does blare into the rooms which was a bit much when first walking in, during the afternoon. I stayed there for four nights. Used room service a couple time, everything was good.

The only problem I had with the hotel was the location. It was in a rough part of town. You really could not walk to far from the hotel at night. I used to live in the Bay Area and I will would not walk to Jack London Square from the hotel in the evening.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ledieff
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed here Jan 24th-26th. I stayed on the 9th floor. The entire floor smelled like Weed but my room did not smell like weed. We could not find the safe in our room, if there was one. The beds were okay and the tv was okay. There wasn't anything wrong with the hotel but there wasn't anything great about it. I visited the bar on one of the nights and the drinks were good just very expensive (as per all of CAL). My only complaint is it has been 4 business days since checking out of the hotel and the hotel has still not released the $50 hold from my bank account.

Room Tip: - You have to pay for parking so plan ahead - The blow dryer is hidden on the bottom shelf in the b...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fran T
Sue H, Guest Relations Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Good evening,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are a non-smoking hotel; ensuring this is maintained is paramount to us, and I am disappointed to hear about the odor on your guest room floor. Regarding the safes, we do provide safety deposit boxes at the front desk for our hotel guests. Next time you're in the area I hope we can have the opportunity to exceed your expectations and make your next stay positively memorable. Please feel free to contact me directly if there is anything I can do.

Regards,
Suzanne Hansen
(510) 451-4000

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Stayed here for a trade show, 3 nights. The room rate was reasonable, rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable.
Parking was fair with the convention discount, but getting up the ramp in a full size pickup was dicey. 700 ml bottles of water are available in the room for 4.25 each. Walk across the street to smart and final and buy a case of water for under 4 bucks instead.
I ate in the restaurant the night before the trade show started. The service was the worst I've encountered in many many years. When I arrived there was 1 server, 9 tables active and 3 with dirty dishes on them I waited 15 minutes to place my order and another 30 to get served. By the time my food arrived there were 6 active tables, and 6 with dirty dishes on them, and 3 servers working the table. Apparently there was no bus staff working and the wait people don't bus tables at all. I ordered the special of the evening, which included salad, steak, vegetables and dessert. the main course arrived and I asked where the salad was. The server told me I hadn't ordered salad. I showed her the menus and the salad came after the main course was done. I was asked if I wanted to order dessert, and just asked for the check.
Do yourself a favor and go outside the hotel to eat, there's a brew pub across the street that's much better for half the money.

Room Tip: rooms ending with 17 are next to the ice machine, there will ber some noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank lkm55
Sue H, Guest Relations Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Good evening,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Oakland Marriott City Center. Although I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the comfort of your guest room, I am deeply concerned to learn that we fell short of expectations regarding the service you received during your stay. Our collective goal is always to provide our guests with service excellence from beginning to end. We were not able to do this for you, and again, it is most disappointing. I assure you that your concerns have been brought to the attention of our Food and Beverage team. Should you consider returning to the Oakland Marriott City Center, please contact me directly so I may personally oversee your reservation.

Regards,
Suzanne Hansen
(510) 451-4000

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Booked the room in the last minute with the help of Marriott reservation agent so price is at the higher end. Check in was easy and without any hassels. Got the room with the view towards san fran bay area. Hotel and Convetion centre is located at the same place so most of the time the hotel is Busy. They have Valet Parking and Self parking (Shared with convention centre parking with in out previleges).

Hotel is next to BART station so easy access to San Fran bay area if you prefer to go by public transport. Restaurant is good with many options. While we are there they have changed the Flat screen TV to HDTV. The TV has an option where we can setup the volume heard in Bathroom as well which I really liked. Overall little hight price option for better quality.

Disclaimer: The opinions stated here are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Hotel is what you'd expect from Marriott. Good service, great rooms. Interesting location with easy access to SF downtown by BART and some very nice food options in the area. Not much else to say. It's fine if you have to stay in Oakland.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Stayed in hotel for New Year's Eve, easy access by Bart to San Francisco. Easy access to Berkeley. Enjoyed the restaurant brunch. The thing that stood out was the excellent service. Ever staff member we ran across was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Sue H, Guest Relations Manager at Oakland Marriott City Center, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Thank you bringing in 2014 with us, and for your great review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your all around great experience from the location and restaurant experience to the excellent service you received. Making sure our guests are satisfied is extremely important to us, and I am so happy to hear each and every associate provided genuine care service! I hope we can welcome you back again soon!

Sue Hansen