“Happy family travler”

Ranked #31 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
St. Augustine, Florida
“Happy family travler”
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I picked this hotel because it was located next to the coliseum and me and my family was going to be watching the game the next day. I thought the staff was professtional and friendly.The breakfast was perfect and the beds were so very comfortable.The Hotel was clean and very quiet I was pleasantly surpised and look forward to visiting them in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank southern t

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed 10 September 2011

This was an absolute nightmare. We booked our room from 8/11/11 - 8/18/11. My fiancee and I just moved out to San Francisco so I could attend SFSU this year and Hastings Law Fall '12; we stayed here because we were considering the Oakland Hills at first to live in. My parents were paying for this initially with their credit card until I got a new one in the mail, we have same last name. When checking in, I wasn't even asked for an ID to prove I was who I said I was, all they cared about was scanning that credit card. I booked using my fathers card with his name, but my name as guest reservation. We call on 8/17/11 to the front desk to ask if we can extend the room until Monday, 8/22/11 because we had yet to find a place to live. They say that "the name doesn't match on the card, we would need an authorization." (Remember, they never even asked for any ID at all when checking in, and sad not a word about any of this until this point).

My mother had to leave work early and find a FedEx Kinkos, wait for them to fax the form over, drive it to their house, have my dad sign it and copy his id, then drive back to FedEx Kinkos to fax it back. As soon as they get the form, my fiancee is told "We are not an extended stay hotel, the maximum stay is 5 days (yet I booked for 7 originally??), you will have to check out Saturday 8/20/11. This is an absolute lie, I've never even heard of such a ridiculous thing as a "maximum stay" at a hotel of 5 days. I called Quality Inn San Jose, Quality Inn San Francisco Airport, and Quality Inn Berkeley and none said they had any such policy. I then called the Quality Inn corporate HQ and they also said no such policy they are aware of.

Things to know: we are very quiet, we did not cause a single problem while there. We did not smoke, drink, or have a single person over. We stayed in our room unless we were out house shopping. Why they treated us so badly I have no idea, they were very rude to us. And to wait until after my parents jumped through hoops to fax the authorization, then only AFTER they received it they tell us about this supposed "maximum stay". This area is a terrible area of town also; walking home one night we had a guy pull up in a car saying to be careful, how people don't even realize what neighborhood they are walking into, and how his shop was shot up earlier that day. I would not recommend this place to ANYONE. Find a different place to stay. They are liars and did absolutely nothing to make up for their inadequacies.

Room Tip: Do not get a room here.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank CristalSipper
Michigan
Reviewed 4 September 2011

The front desk seemed rather bored to help me, but I got into my room and then discovered I'd need to stay another night, so I went back to the front desk. While dealing with this change, I notice what seems to be a Mexican sports team (boxers? UFC? I dunno) checking in, and checking it with what seemed to be a LOT of beer, cooler after cooler. I ask the clerk "Umm, we're not going to have a problem, are we?" and I'm reassured no. So, we go out to eat. Returning about 10pm, we find hotel security with a super drunk person from this group out front. Nice. Then we walk in, and the entire lobby smells like a brewery, and there's a LOT of noise and singing coming from the lounge area. (Which is also the breakfast area in the morning) Apparently they didn't do a great job of keeping these folks in line.

Other problems? Staff smoking RIGHT by the lobby doors. I'm an ex smoker, and hey, if you want to smoke, fine, but management... keep your staff AWAY from the front when they're smoking. Then the safety of the parking lot. They need a guard in the lot, which tells me that the lot ain't all that safe.

All in all, I would not only NOT stay here again, I would not recommend that you do either.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Roadside_US
los angeles
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I enjoyed my stay here, the rooms were nice and clean and the breakfast was well stocked with a good assortment. It is also right next to the Coliseum which is perfect for when I want to go to an A's game.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank HandsumMuscle
twin cities
Reviewed 17 July 2011

I checked in and went to a decent room. However, all the pillows and the comforter are FEATHER. This may be a bonus to most people but not if a person is allergic to feathers! No problem, just call down and get foam ones right?? WRONG, when I called down to the front desk I was told they do not have ANY pillows or comforters that aren't feather.

SERIOUSLY??

Now what? I guess I'll try to get some extra towels. I have never stayed somewhere they don't have ANY foam pillows.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Clinton, Utah
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Very, very clean hotel. Our room was fresh smelling and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was incredible. Right off the freeway and we couldn't of asked for a better deal for the price!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JHB50
Vacaville, California
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We picked this hotel because we had to leave our car for 15 days. The room was very basic but clean. No places to eat within walking distance and neighborhood very questionable. We were told upon our return we need not call for the shuttle to pick us up as it ran every 20 minutes. We waited for a half hour and no shuttle. Called hotel and was told it was on the way. We called several times and were always told the same thing, finally after an hour of waiting they told us to take a cab. Right after that a shuttle appeared and we found out they had a shuttle that broke down, so they lied to us. We were stranded for an hour and ten minutes with no apology. I would not stay here again. I would pay a little more and stay in a more reputable hotel

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple