“Perfect hotel for a wedding weekend”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites
Ranked #6 of 49 Hotels in Oakland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 June 2014

As our son was getting married in Alameda, we had a large group of people coming in from out of town. The combination of having a hotel van that will drive you within 3 miles, and also having some "lounging space" called "The Library," where we could hang out (they even gave us a tray of wine glasses!!) was PERFECT for our needs. I didn't want family to have to rent cars, and we wanted to use public transportation to go into SF, so we used the hotel van, and really only had to wait 25 minutes one time at the BART. Kayla and Dorothy at the front desk were so friendly and helpful with maps etc., and we owe a special thanks to Karla (there were 9 rooms full of us!!) for keeping the pancake machine (our nieces favorite :)) and eggs hot, and the breakfast area ready for us all. Russell and Carlos were our usual drivers, and Manuel was constantly working on fixing things, painting, etc......A BIG SHOUT OUT to JD Covarrubias because he runs a great operation!! If you want to stay at the Ritz, go ahead, but if you want clean, efficient, very friendly and really reasonable.....this is the place!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Bhotels, Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Wow, it sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful family event at our hotel. I am so glad that we were able to provide everything that you needed to have an affordable get-together in the Bay Area. I will pass on your compliments to our staff, they will be pleased to know that they made the wedding so memorable. A shout out to Kayla, Dorothy, Russell, Manuel and of course, JD!

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We weren't expecting much from an airport hotel, but Kayla at the front desk made it a great trip. We didn't know what to eat so Kayla told us about the Chinese food delivery. My wife woke up too late for breakfast so Kayla offered me a tray so I could carry breakfast to my wife. There were a few small glitches like in the fitness center the TV remote didn't work but otherwise it definitely was a great place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Elliot,

We love to surprise our guests with outstanding service! Judging from your review, we are succeeding. I will share your praise with our staff, they will be pleased, especially Kayla.

Thank you for giving us such valuable feedback, we will certainly use it to improve our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Had an early flight out of OAK next morning and needed some place close to stay the night before. Read reviews for here and sounded good. Check in was prompt and my request for top floor & quiet area was noted. Very friendly staff the entire stay. Room was clean, bright and comfortable. Breakfast buffet the next morning was typical HI Express which is great by me. Area was busy but staff kept up and food stocked. Had a great stay and would recommend this property to anyone. Thanks!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Bhotels, Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Your review recommending our hotel to other travelers warmed my heart. We enjoy making our hotel a wonderful place to stay for busy travelers such as yourself, and your comments assures me that we are achieving our goal.

Thank you for choosing our hotel and writing such a nice review.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I stayed here from the end of January to May 2nd - I was in the process of relocating. It was truely a home away from home. The staff was friendly and made my stay very comfortable. Shuttle service is timely, rooms are very good, and Karla was always there to greet you with a smile and a "good morning" when I had breakfast. in my opinion there was a team and group effort to really take pride in this hotel by the entire staff. I would stay there again with out question.

Room Tip: During my stay for three months I stayed in many different rooms - those closest to the center of th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

The reviews of our property by our long term guests are the true litmus test of excellence in hospitality. Judging from your comments, we are succeeding in our goal to provide a great place to stay. We think our staff is the absolute best, so I will happily share your compliments with them. They will be so pleased, especially Karla.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed here on an opaque rate, it was a disgrace.

The rooms were dated and small.

The aircon wall control had a 'sticky label' stating that it does not work.

An enormous aircon unit attached to the window didn't work in any way.

Staff were not considerate (banging on door at 2am).

The wifi - SLOW SLOW SLOW I could barely load the google home page. In 2014. 5 miles from Silicon Valley. Disgraceful.

It is also located next to a busy loading yard.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, just don't.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank John W

Dear John,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns about your stay at our hotel. I am so disturbed that you did not find our hotel acceptable. We try very hard to provide excellent accommodations and service to our guests. I would like to be able to speak to you in person to extend my apologies and learn how we can correct any shortcomings.

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with a group of co-workers on business for a week can not say enough about the excellent customer service. The hotel is exactly what you expect for the brand but the staff exceeds expectations. They provided us with some great restaurant recommendations, our favorite was Horatio's at the marina. They had an awesome surf/turf and lobster bisque and you are right on the water (be warned, you will be shocked at the prices but you get what you pay for). Burgermeister in Alameda was also a great recommendation. The hotel even provided us with a shuttle ride to and from the BART station so we could take the train to San Francisco for the day. It saved us a couple hours in drive time and a bunch of $ for parking. The hotel and rooms were always clean and comfortable. The breakfast was always fresh and different every day and they even had delicious cookies for us in the afternoon.

Don't hesitate to stay here and ask the staff for their recommendations, they are very knowledgable of the area and are very helpful.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We've stayed here numerous times. It is a typical HIE with clean rooms and adequate breakfast. They have covered parking for maybe 15 cars. The shuttle ride to the airport is maybe 5 minutes. The park & fly costs are reasonable, and the pick up service is quick.

Room Tip: We always ask for the first floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank steve s
Bhotels, Director of Operations at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Steve,

We really appreciate your loyalty in choosing our hotel for your return visits to the Bay Area. I am glad that the parking and shuttle service makes your travels easier. We believe that our Park & Fly rates are a great value, thank you for confirming this in your review of our hotel.

We look forward to being of service to you in the future.