“Wine Making History”

and up
Private Napa Valley Customized Wine Tour
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Oakville
More attraction details
Owner description: A recommended winery in Napa Valley that offers educational tours and music concerts at select times.
Coppell, Texas
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Wine Making History”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I wish I personally knew Robert Mondavi. He lived an incredible life living to be 95 years old. Our tour guide for the walking tour was very knowledgable and made our experiences enjoyable. First winery post-Prohibition era. RM wines were the only wines in Napa to beat Italian wines in a blind taste test. Wines price range from $8-$250. He wanted everyone to enjoy wine at any price point. Highly recommend for couples, business clients or tour groups.

1 Thank MissDiva715

• Greek first
  • Korean first
Auckland, NZ
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Wine on an grand scale”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The life of Robert Mondavi and his contribution to the development of the US wine industry is fascinating and intriguing but this was strangely not a great part of the tour we took at the main vineyard complex outside Oakville. There was more discussion of the architecture of the winery (the famous tower and arch that is one of the Mondavi logos) than of the man himself. This tended to make the tour a little more clinical than those where the personal histories of the pioneers of wine were explored a little more.

We were led by our guide through cabernet sauvignon vines which had just been picked and then into one of the highly buildings where the harvest is brought to begin the fermentation process. That process is hands on in only the modest modern sense (someone was hand- shoveling dry ice into a vat) but that is to be expected in an operation as large and diverse as Mondavi.

The tasting experience was pleasant enough and introduced a fair selection of local Mondavi wines but there were really no stand outs in that selection. Rather pointedly we were told that the top end wines were available through the buyer club!

We enjoyed the chance to visit the winery but left feeling that the experience lacked the personal touch and that we had been on something of a conveyor belt. It is hard to put your finger on what might have been done about that but it just felt something was missing in terms of engagement.

Neptune Beach, Florida
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Napa Wine Tour”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We took a tour bus and visited 4 wineries. This was the best as you had an employee give a walking tour (wine in hand) through the wine processing room, into the cellars. We sampled I believe 4 wines there. Purchased the Chocolate Chardonnay sauce as Christmas presents. The others were Menage a' Trois, Mario Andretti and Franciscan. They harvest the grapes in October so try to get there before November (like we did) .

Visited November 2013
Grand Blanc, MI
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Avoid the Robert Mondavi wine club at all costs!!!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Whatever you do, do not join the Robert Mondavi wine club. I joined it and the first few shipments were ok. Then on my most recent shipment they charged my credit card almost $200 for 3 bottles of wine that were never shipped to my house. They never did anything on their end to try to manage the situation. They waited for me to call asking about the shipment only to tell me that the shipment never left their facility. Although they had no problem charging my card and keeping my money.

At that point I told them I didn't want the wine because who know how long it had been sitting around and at what temperature? I asked them to refund my money. After more than a week they still had not refunded my money and the only excuse they had was that they were still checking to see if the shipment had taken place, even though they specifically told me that it didn't over a week ago.

With the prices they charge, from about $40 - $150/bottle I would expect excellent customer service and some type of effort on their part to atone for their mistake. I got exactly none of that. I will be happy to buy my wine from Costco until the next time I make it out to Napa and find a better company to deal with.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank JeffC48439
Lghthouse Point FL
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great Tour”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

splurge and get the exclusive tour and ask for Doug to be the tour guide.....he is fun and takes his time. We took other tours with groups and DO NOT recommend. The personal tours are the way to go. You get more attention and is more fun. Doug though should be your tour guide as you will have the most fun with him guaranteed

1 Thank Ses2494