“Silver Oak, nothing but the best!”
Review of Silver Oak Cellars

Silver Oak Cellars
Ranked #3 of 21 things to do in Oakville
More attraction details
Owner description: We pride ourselves on making one varietal that is food-friendly and deliciously drinkable upon release. Our story begins in the early 1970's when Ray Duncan befriended winegrower Justin Meyer. The two formed a partnership and co-founded Silver Oak Cellars in 1972 with the bold vision of producing only Cabernet Sauvignon. Come experience the Silver Oak Cellars Napa Valley winery in Oakville, CA to enjoy exceptional Cabernet Sauvignon wine tasting tours.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Mexico City, Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Silver Oak, nothing but the best!”
Reviewed 12 May 2012

One of the reasons we came into Napa was to visit Silver Oak and it fullfil our expectations by far; great tour lead by Natalie Griffin where we were introduced into the manufacturing process, the Cellars, on site mexican origin employees and the "amazing" family reserves (we saw bottles from the 80's); then we took the food and wine pairing on second floor dinning rooms, which was also an amazing experience. Being this year Silver Oak 40th anniversay as well as mine, made it even more memmorable!

Visited May 2012
3 Thank Luis C

• Korean first
Palatine, Illinois
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Fantastic Wine Experience”
Reviewed 3 May 2012

The property is beautiful and our experience was great. I think it is dependent upon who your sampler is. We happened to be talking with Jim, when a friend of his came in for a tour. They invited us to join them and what a cool tour! He talked about the history of the cellars, we visited the fermentation rooms, barrel rooms, bottling operation and he taught us so much about making wine in general. We loved this stop and look forward to our next trip!

1 Thank carocab
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“I love Silver Oak, but their tasting fees have gotten out of control!”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I've been tasting at Silver Oak since 2005 and have been there with many friends and family members. Back in 2005, their tasting fees were 10, waived if you purchased a bottle, AND you got to keep a glass. Now it's not the case at all! As of 2011, tasting fees are 20 dollars per person for two wines and not waived with purchase of a bottle. With bottles being 70-100+ per bottle, adding an extra 20 dollars is pretty hefty. The more upsetting thing was that they wouldn't even waive a tasting fee when we bought a $500+ vertical case! Seriously!

Oh and they don't pour much anymore! Back in 2005, they would give you a hefty pour - about a half glass - but now they are just tiny pours, which makes it hard to justify the $20 tasting fee!

While I love silver oak, their wines are not, in my opinion, nearly as enjoyable upon release as they are if they are left to age a bit. In the past few years, the 1994 vintage has been amazing, so I would advise those interested to keep these bottles on the shelf for a decade or so before opening (or just buy an older vintage online if you want to drink one today!).

The grounds are beautiful and their new building (relative to when I started visiting Silver Oak) is also quite beautiful, but service is average and they no longer allow people to bring food to enjoy on the grounds to pair with the wine (something that is truly worthwhile for me to see if the wines go well with things we like to eat and what flavors different foods bring out in the wine).

I wish I could say that this place is a place not to be missed, but at this point, things have just gone so far downhill with pricing and service that I would say to skip it and put the tasting fee buying an older, well-reviewed vintage online!

Visited May 2011
2 Thank Pomona2006
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Love the wine, experience is good”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Silver Oak is one of my fav Cabs in general. The tasting room is about average in that you fight for a spot at the counter so you can get some to taste. $20 get you 3 tastings, a take home Cab glass and a bonus tasting of 1 of the 3 again. Very reasonable and worth the stop IF you are going to buy something. If you want to sit down and relax-- see my review for Paraduxx!

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“BIG CABS”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This is our favorite Winery, the Wine is excellent, the people that works there very nice .
Take the tour, very interesting ,
We will be back soon