“Lovely wines”
Review of Silver Oak Cellars

Silver Oak Cellars
Ranked #3 of 21 things to do in Oakville
More attraction details
Owner description: We pride ourselves on making one varietal that is food-friendly and deliciously drinkable upon release. Our story begins in the early 1970's when Ray Duncan befriended winegrower Justin Meyer. The two formed a partnership and co-founded Silver Oak Cellars in 1972 with the bold vision of producing only Cabernet Sauvignon. Come experience the Silver Oak Cellars Napa Valley winery in Oakville, CA to enjoy exceptional Cabernet Sauvignon wine tasting tours.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stopped for a tasting. We don't jump the county line very often from Sonoma Co. into Napa Co to taste wines as I always tell people... Sonoma Co. has better wines, our tasting prices are lower and we are much friendlier. We paid $20-$30 at all the Napa wineries we visited. Most Sonoma Co. Tastings are still $5-$20. Some are even still free. But having said that we had a wonderful visit at Silver Oak. Having a winery ourselves we know lots of people affiliated with Silver Oak so we got very nice treatment. The wines are very good and our experience there very positive. The building and setting are beautiful. Our host was informative but not a wine snob by any means.

1  Thank DiannaC20

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Our taster leader was Allen, who was a little “dry and matter of fact” for lack of better words. He gave us the tour and their 2009 Alexander Valley Cabernet seemed to be everyone’s favorite, but for me the hit was a tour of the Duncan Family’s (gas and oil) private cellar with the large format bottles. The tasting was $30 and $10 of it went toward a purchase. Free wines glasses were include in the tasting fee.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Great tour, and amazing wines. Not inexpensive wines, but very good. Overall great experience. Highly recommend

Reviewed 17 October 2013

We took the tour which showed us the tanks and barrels. Our tour guide made a big difference. He had many little facts that only someone with years of familiarity would have. After the tour as well as during the tour , he would pour a progression of wines in a very friendly manner. Another job well done. We have been long time fans of Silver Oak and this experience only furthered that opinion.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

I have been a loyal fan of Silver Oak since its inception in 1976 when the wines retailed for a little under $7.00. I visited Silver Oak 10 years ago and had a better experience than I did this time around. The original winery had a major fire, and the decision was made to build from the ground up. Although the winery is very beautiful, the staff is somewhat sterile.

It is quite apparent that their notoriety has gone to their head. The price of their wine is quite lofty and the corporate presents rears its ugly head. When I arrived for my scheduled appointment I was completely ignored until I made it clear to them that I had an appointment. I was then told to wait for the tour leader named Alex. The people at the counter were too busy collecting money for other tastings. and didn't even acknowledge that I was there for a prepaid tour. This is ignorance of the highest magnitude and is totally unacceptable.

The tour consisted of a history of Silver Oak in a room full of memorabilia from its early inception to the present. During the tour you taste a current Napa release, a current Alexander Valley release, and a library wine from Napa. You do get to keep the glass. Although our tour leader was very knowledgeable and friendly, the rest of my experience with the winery has turned me away from the brand. The winery has forgotten that customer service is very important. This is happening quite often in Napa with other small boutique wineries who have been acquired by large corporations with deep pockets whose only concern is to take the money and run.

2  Thank Vinoventures