“Only Cabernet”
Review of Silver Oak Cellars

Silver Oak Cellars
Ranked #3 of 21 things to do in Oakville
More attraction details
Owner description: We pride ourselves on making one varietal that is food-friendly and deliciously drinkable upon release. Our story begins in the early 1970's when Ray Duncan befriended winegrower Justin Meyer. The two formed a partnership and co-founded Silver Oak Cellars in 1972 with the bold vision of producing only Cabernet Sauvignon. Come experience the Silver Oak Cellars Napa Valley winery in Oakville, CA to enjoy exceptional Cabernet Sauvignon wine tasting tours.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Pluses: great wine, great staff (especially Virgie!), great atmosphere. Tours are worthwhile. Especially nice if you can do a vertical tasting of multiple vintages. Minuses: only Cabs, and not many of them; pricey, although not out of line for Napa; wine is lovely but a bit overrated/overpriced. $20 for a tasting, usually 3 wines for that, although I think the pours are reasonably generous. If you like Cabernet, you should be pleased. Beautiful grounds.

There are newer reviews for Silver Oak Cellars

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Gorgeous winery with excellent tasting Cabs. Great tasting area. The grounds are well manicured. Owners are retired from Texas. Great family. Silver Oaks 2009 was my favorite. Souviner glasses to take home come with the tasting fee.

Very clean nice restrooms.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Lovely experience for a wonderful wine. Fair price fro tasting (20U$) and you get your wine glass as courtesy.
Take your glass and go check the most amazing landscape!! Super worth it.
The kids were very welcome, offered sodas and could hang out outside in the garden or inside.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

In 2001, I introduced myself to wine. Working in the Restaurant industry, I was always in the kitchen, so back there you drink beer and hard liquor. I moved to the Front of the House, because I wanted to learn about restaurants as a whole, not just, what happened in the kitchen. I saw how the servers worked, and the flow of the front of the house. As part of learning, came the wine. Before that point I may have had one or two glasses of Ernest and Julio Gallo, thought it was disgusting, and wondered why the wine industry was a billion dollar industry every year. Well, Ernest and Julio Gallo are night and day compared to wineries like Silver Oak Cellars in Napa Valley.

When I first saw a bottle of Silver Oak, while taking basic wine courses, I knew it was a stretch for me to pay more then $10.00 or $15.00 for a bottle, and then I saw the price tag on Silver Oak being over $100.00. Now remember, this was the beginning of my introductions to wine, and now, I pay $100.00 all the time for good bottles of wine. Do not worry, I still look at Screaming Eagle and Romani Conti, and say that they are still too expensive for me to purchase.
Napa is known as the King of Cab, and Silver Oak Cellars motto is that "Life is a Cabernet," with that, the main production they have is from the Cabernet Sauvignon grape. They carry two main bottles Cabernet's, one that is estate grown in Napa, and the second, which this review mainly covers is the Alexander Valley Cabernet from Sonoma. In the silver Oak family is Twomey Vineyards, which has two locations for growth in Napa, one in the Russian River Valley of Sonoma, and the final location in the Anderson Valley of Mendocino County, to the north of Napa and Sonoma.
The Alexander Valley Cabernet has a complex but very fruity structure, strong tannins, but a smooth spiced and silky finish that screams for more. With proper storage in a cellar, the wine will last past 2030 for the enjoyment of the owner who purchased it. The Napa Cab from 2008 is spectacular, but the focus for this review is the Alexander Valley. When the 2009 gets released in February 2014, I will be doing a follow up.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stopped for a tasting. We don't jump the county line very often from Sonoma Co. into Napa Co to taste wines as I always tell people... Sonoma Co. has better wines, our tasting prices are lower and we are much friendlier. We paid $20-$30 at all the Napa wineries we visited. Most Sonoma Co. Tastings are still $5-$20. Some are even still free. But having said that we had a wonderful visit at Silver Oak. Having a winery ourselves we know lots of people affiliated with Silver Oak so we got very nice treatment. The wines are very good and our experience there very positive. The building and setting are beautiful. Our host was informative but not a wine snob by any means.

1  Thank DiannaC20