“Opus 1”
Review of Opus One Winery

Opus One Winery
Ranked #5 of 21 things to do in Oakville
More attraction details
Owner description: Cultivated with passion and a singular vision, Opus One produces one ultra-premium Bordeaux blend a year. A collaboration between Robert Mondavi and Baron Philippe de Rothschild, Opus One arose out of passion. And beginning with the first harvest in 1979, every vintage of Opus One has expressed the vision and passionate spirit of its founders. Our goal is to create a wine of ultimate quality that reflects the traditions and innovations of both founders. Visiting the winery is by appointment only.
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This winery is always on our list when we visit Napa. I am particularly impressed with the wine however the architecture at this vineyard is also very pleasing. The staff very accommodating. I would suggest doing the private tasting.

1  Thank James L
There are newer reviews for Opus One Winery

Reviewed 17 April 2014

Our group of 16 had a private tour that was the most informative wine-making tour most of us have experienced. Some of our group had been here before and recommended it.
We felt our guide was thorough and entertaining.
We enjoyed our tasting in the wine cellar. Even those in our group who don't drink wine admitted the 2005 was quite smooth.
I don't know the price of the tour, so I can't speak to the value for what you receive, but our group enjoyed the Opus One experience!

1  Thank OklahomaMomOf3
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Admit I'm one of those that doesn't go gaga at the meer mention of Opus One but I felt I had to visit. I also admit that I didn't participate in a tour.

I read reviews about the stuffy and stand-offish staff, but I didn't experience either. In fact, I found them professional (something that doesn't put me off and, TBH, I expect depending upon the venu) and even good humored as when I replied, with a smile on my face, to a hostess that "no, you can't take my glass because I'm not done yet!" She chuckled, another hostess later asked if she could take my glass, and the first one replied: she's not done yet!

From the outside the facility itself reminds me in a way of the Garden State Arts Center (it will never be PNC Bank Arts Center to me) but with a grander view. A tasting plus for me is that one is not confined to the Partners' Room so it's OK to roam the public grounds, lounge outside the Partners' Room, and walk up to the Terrace with glass in hand. I got clunked in the head on my way down from the terrace by some toddler tossing pebbles over the side so be careful.

The pour is a little pricey but their website clearly states pricing and it's a healthy pour.

Overall, I'm glad I went but won't return. Napa offers so much that's so good and I'm not one to look to impress with a label.

2  Thank DianeXit98
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is the worst winery we went to while in Napa. You are just paying for the name. The wine they were serving was awful, and there is no service at all. The staff are not friendly or informative. It was not a comfortable place to visit - very cold.

5  Thank jenesaisquoiV
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Opus One was the most underwhelming of the three tours we did - which included Jarvis and Hall (Rutherford). The grounds are pretty, but even that just looks manufactured. There is nothing authentic feeling or tasting about Opus One.

I would NOT recommend this one, especially if you're paying for it. The wine itself is over-priced and not very good. The tour guides seem a little odd and not as charismatic or qualified as others in the industry. Use your well earned money at Hall, Jarvis or Clos Du Val.

1  Thank MoonlightRainSea