“Don't Waste Your Time”
Review of Opus One Winery

Opus One Winery
Ranked #7 of 21 things to do in Oakville
More attraction details
Owner description: Cultivated with passion and a singular vision, Opus One produces one ultra-premium Bordeaux blend a year. A collaboration between Robert Mondavi and Baron Philippe de Rothschild, Opus One arose out of passion. And beginning with the first harvest in 1979, every vintage of Opus One has expressed the vision and passionate spirit of its founders. Our goal is to create a wine of ultimate quality that reflects the traditions and innovations of both founders. Visiting the winery is by appointment only.
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I am a transplant Napa Valley Local, on a mission to taste at 100 wineries per year, while living here. Opus was #193 for me and I have to say it is at the bottom of my list with Cakebread and Black Stallion for the worst winery experiences. The initial reception is cold, kinda of a your just another number type attitude. The gentleman that escorted me to the "tasting room" was very pleasant and by far the only positive experience of the visit. Arriving at the founders room, I was ignored for a good 5 minutes before finally being acknowledged. I was offered a by the glass pour of the 2010 and 2005, which was interesting to me, but I chose to do both, costing $100 ($60 for the 2005, $40 for the 2010) then I was offered to be seated at the lounge furniture outside. There was no descriptions of the vintages offered, no tasting profiles, not even a brief history on the wines. The wines very both very polished, lacking any uniqueness or depth. I understand that Opus One is a "brand name" and the Asian markets help drive the price point, but overall a disappointment. Don't waste your time as there are so many wonderful wineries in Napa Valley that put so much passion into what they do, unfortunately Opus One is not one of them.

7  Thank jogdie1
in 5 reviews
in 25 reviews
in 70 reviews

Reviewed 28 April 2014

We drive up to OpusOne with a group of 8 next expecting if we'd get in. However they allowed our presence and granted our entrance after filling out a rather sterile form on an iPad. The silent lobby looked like something out of "Logan's Run" but felt more like a high end mausoleum, giant and vacuous. We were expecting to be taken to a viewing room with a corpse, or to be ejected into outer space for whatever random reason . Who was this designed for? What goes down all those stairways to nowhere and hallways you cannot enter? Remember the movie "Coma" from the 70's where doctors are nearly killing patients and putting them into comas? The patients then preserved in a comatose state only for the harvest organs all strung up at a cold facility? This is as creepy as THAT facility was..and so is the vibe at Opus One, where I was convinced similar hijinks were ensuing. We then are given like a 'permission slip' (all too odd and formal) and ushered Into a tasting room, which is remarkably small for the size of this facility. A very well put together cyborg-woman with a mysterious thick programmed euro-accent informs us that they are so amazing, that they only offer 2 wines to taste. The same wine: different years. One vintage was $40.00 a glass. The other a mere $60. Now listen - none of us we're traveling on the cheap, ( I'd just dropped $490 on a case at the wonderful Spring Mountain) yet we all look at each other stunned asking, "Did miss wine robot REALLY just say 60$ a GLASS??!!"
Could it be extraordinary? Perhaps. But if a tasting glass is $60, what are they charging for an entire damn bottle??!! To buy a case must require one of your healthiest children and a blood sample. We decided to "discuss outside" where much to my relief I found everyone was on the same page to hi-tail it out of this haunted house and hit the road . We ran like hell for the van, certain the giant horror-gates would close never letting us depart. We ended up at Mondavai across the road, which while wasn't amazing, but we also weren't terrified which was a plus.

The moral? The uncomfortable, ice-queen spookvibe was enough to totally turn us off and we never tasted a drop of their product. I give them props for consistency: to the imposing construct of the building as you drive up, to the blank, robotic sales staff and chilly architecture. However that 60$ didn't even get you a tour. Just the privilege to taste a glass and perhaps have your souls stolen. Obviously they sell enough to pull this off, but it had zero appeal to our group of 8. Go instead to one of the many close by more local, hands-on winery's who actually CARE that you are visiting. And visit one that might not be harboring a Scientology brainwashing clinic in disguise. You'll have a lot more fun and will at least leave the same way you came in!!!

13  Thank rnormfoto
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This winery is always on our list when we visit Napa. I am particularly impressed with the wine however the architecture at this vineyard is also very pleasing. The staff very accommodating. I would suggest doing the private tasting.

1  Thank James L
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Our group of 16 had a private tour that was the most informative wine-making tour most of us have experienced. Some of our group had been here before and recommended it.
We felt our guide was thorough and entertaining.
We enjoyed our tasting in the wine cellar. Even those in our group who don't drink wine admitted the 2005 was quite smooth.
I don't know the price of the tour, so I can't speak to the value for what you receive, but our group enjoyed the Opus One experience!

1  Thank OklahomaMomOf3
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Admit I'm one of those that doesn't go gaga at the meer mention of Opus One but I felt I had to visit. I also admit that I didn't participate in a tour.

I read reviews about the stuffy and stand-offish staff, but I didn't experience either. In fact, I found them professional (something that doesn't put me off and, TBH, I expect depending upon the venu) and even good humored as when I replied, with a smile on my face, to a hostess that "no, you can't take my glass because I'm not done yet!" She chuckled, another hostess later asked if she could take my glass, and the first one replied: she's not done yet!

From the outside the facility itself reminds me in a way of the Garden State Arts Center (it will never be PNC Bank Arts Center to me) but with a grander view. A tasting plus for me is that one is not confined to the Partners' Room so it's OK to roam the public grounds, lounge outside the Partners' Room, and walk up to the Terrace with glass in hand. I got clunked in the head on my way down from the terrace by some toddler tossing pebbles over the side so be careful.

The pour is a little pricey but their website clearly states pricing and it's a healthy pour.

Overall, I'm glad I went but won't return. Napa offers so much that's so good and I'm not one to look to impress with a label.

2  Thank DianeXit98