“Not for the faint at heart ”
Review of Oakville Grade

Oakville Grade
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

The road is narrow with switch backs and steep grades. Don't drive it at not or when wet. I would drive it again as one of the other reviews state. It's a must to get the real feel for the local life.

5  Thank JCSfoodguy

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Not one of those people to talk about "having" to this and "must" doing that but...Oakville Grade is essential! Just back from my fourth trip to Napa and I still needed to find a way to travel Oakville Grade. Planning my fifth trip to Napa and I'll be travelling Oakville Grade again.

1  Thank DianeXit98
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We were going from Napa to Sonoma so we took this route. We did not do it as an attraction but simply the road from point a to be. It takes about 30 minutes to get across. It is not like driving through the mountains in Colorado but it is certainly one step down. You don't get that high and there are few hairpin turns but it is a fun drive. It is a pretty drive, especially if you never drove in hills/mountains. There is a vineyard in the middle. We did see a few bikers and admired them for their effort. You better be in great shape and experienced to bike across.

2  Thank SCOTT T
Reviewed 20 May 2013

A flat ride along the Silverado Trail with one climb, he said. The climb was the Oakville Grade. At a gradient of more then 12% for a couple of kms, and with temperatures in the late 20's C it isn't for the faint hearted. At the one third mark I gave up but even then it was worth the walk to the crest. The husband made it and then came back to check on me a couple of times so it is doable for the intermediate/advanced cyclist but it is off the seat stuff the whole way.The descent was a terrific combination of sweeping curves, smooth paved road, wild deer on the road verge and stretching vistas. We cycled late Sunday afternoon and traffic was light but it is tricky sharing the narrow road so take care. The traffic we struck was tolerant and careful of us - perhaps we were lucky. The Dry River road is likewise blissful and fast. I recommend the Oakville Grade for the very fit cyclist.

1  Thank traceyj1
See more reviews
Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

With that being said I will caution you on two points; first don't even try this road if you're driving anything bigger than a full-size pickup truck. Secondly if you suffer from motion sickness you'll have to drive.

This road is a lot of fun for thrill seekers. Bring your camera.

I would advise against driving this road at night: it is very narrow in spots and the woodland creatures come out at night. It would be a real bummer to crash into a tree because you swerved to avoid a skunk.