“Great inn”
Review of Inn at Occidental

Inn at Occidental
Ranked #1 of 1 Occidental B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The Inn at Occidental, run by innkeepers Tina and Jerry Wolsborn, is one of the best B & B's I've ever stayed in. The Inn itself is beautiful and beautifully decorated, in a beautiful setting surrounded by redwoods. All the rooms are private, and each has its own designer theme. The rooms are spacious and well-equipped; the beds are comfortable; and the inn is very quiet. And yet the entire town of Occidental is in walking distance, and that includes several excellent restaurants, various shops and at least two grocers.

The "breakfast" part of the B & B at the Inn at Occidentalis really wonderful, with a different gourmet breakfast every day. Cookies and coffee are available throughout the day, and there is a wine and cheese happy hour every afternoon.

Jerry and Tina are experienced and thoughtful innkeepers. You will feel welcome, at home and coddled throughout your stay. If you have any special requirements, they will make every effort to accommodate them. When I first stayed with them two years ago, there was a brief power outage. Even though the rooms are equipped with plenty of lanterns for emergencies, Jerry and Tina were out distributing extra lanterns all around the outside of the inn when I arrived home that evening, making sure that all the walkways and stairways were well lit for late returning guests.

When I stayed with Jerry and Tina this last summer, I found they had installed TVs in every room. For those who can't bear to be separated from their favorite shows, this will be a plus. But I attend a nearby music workshop every summer, and I personally look forward to the wonderful peace and quiet the Inn provides after a long day of making wonderful music in the redwoods.

I can't recommend the Inn at Occidental, and innkeepers Tina and Jerry, highly enough. My stays have been worth every penny. I will be returning in the summer of 2014. I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Inn at Occidental

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We have stayed here several time. We like it because they have a package deal with the Osmosis spa. We have also take family here for their anniversary. The theme rooms are fun and the breakfast is always very good. The staff is also very friendly.

Room Tip: We really like the theme rooms. Be sure to look online to see what is available because certain room...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Thanks to the proprietors for providing everything needed for a wonderful stay. Welcome wine reception, hot breakfast, cookies at midnight and comfortable beds, linens, rooms - for a romantic evening away from the Bay! Birthday cake and dog friendly, we will be back to enjoy another wonderful night sometime soon!

Room Tip: request a quiet room if you like to sleep in. Ours shared a wall with the washer and dryer - woke t...
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My husband and I have been coming to the Inn at Occidental for nearly three decades. We have our favorite rooms and yet all the rooms are lovely! We love the spaciousness and the oversized tubs. The Breakfasts and the breakfast room are the loveliest way to begin your day! The cookies, coffee tea service and wine reception are lovely touches. The owner's and staff are gracious and helpful. Each time we return there is a new restaurant to try and always tasty!
Osmosis and the Redwood Zipline experience down the road are "must do's"! The hardware store is classic and worth a visit! Both spiritual and historical the town of Occidental is a small piece of heaven for a night or two when paired with a stay at The Inn at Occidental. Put it on your "bucket list"! S&D, Santa Barbara, CA

Room Tip: Our Favorite is Sonoma Lodge, Wine Country and Folk Art rooms in that order!
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

One of the nicest bed and breakfasts I have stayed in. Excellent service and detail oriented from the personalized letter on the bed to the bottle of champagne for our anniversary. My girlfriend and I stayed in Room 7 and it was perfect. The extra large spa tub was simply amazing. We didn't want to leave the room! The praline french toast was by far the best breakfast I've ever had at a hotel. Highly recommended!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This was a very last minute, "let's take a road-trip" moment. We first were going to target Bodega Bay as we have stayed at a very nice B&B there (dog friendly as well), but thought we'd do something a bit different...

After some review searches, we found this B&B in Occidental - which, frankly, my wife and I had never even heard of, which was all the better. We love stepping out and just seeing what is here in Northern California that we have been missing (obviously, a LOT!).

What a cool town - very small and incredibly quaint. Lots of hand-craft shops, artists galleries, and some "hard to believe these are so great" restaurants and pubs. We had dinner one night at a French Bistro, just a short walk from the B&B that was absolutely amazing - for another review site!

So - actually we got a room only because there was a last minute cancellation due to the government shutdown. The folks were going to Yosemite and, well, now they weren't. Their misfortune was our fortune. Though the room that was vacant (the fabulous "Quilt Room" is one of the few that is NOT dog-friendly. Bummer, but no worries. A bowl of water, a cup of food, shut the closet door and we're off...

Just KIDDING! We would never do that to our incredible Sheltie, Tango!! She loves to hang out with her peeps at "Under One Woof," so all was fine.

The B&B just blew us away. Tina was simply wonderful and the room? Gorgeous. The bed was fit for a king and queen, great gas fireplace, huge Jacuzzi tub, tastefully decorated. The latter B part of the B&B was simply one of the best waffles I have ever had in my life (my wife concurs!). A sour cream waffle with a syrup that was incredible served with a chicken sausage that made me decide I should actually try a few other chicken sausages out there because this one was better than any pork sausage I have had (need to ask Tina where they get them). Of course there was fresh fruit, yogurt, etc, etc, as you would expect, but wow, what a waffle...

Nothing negative to report at all - okay, so there is no swimming pool, but I cannot recall ever staying at a B&B with a pool anyhow (and that's not what the experience is all about anyhow, is it?).

Great wine and cheese served from 5 to 6 pm. It's Sonoma Valley after all, so both were fantastic. There is a small art studio around the corner of the facility owned and operated by a beautiful French woman who makes the most amazing glass pieces - at such an incredible price point that we picked up 4 sets for Christmas gifts.

That's about it. Would we come back to stay? Absolutely, and we will (and yes, we'll bring the 'Tang along with us next time). Thanks again Tina for making our stay so fantastic!!

Room Tip: Make your reservations EARLY! This is a popular B&B and we simply lucked out by getting a room...
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed at the Inn at Occidental 10 years ago to celebrate my 60th birthday and enjoyed it so much that we came back to celebrate my 70th. From the wine and cheese in the evening between 5 and 6 to the delicious breakfasts each morning, this is a great place to stay in Sonoma County. Tina, her husband, and the entire staff were the hallmark of hospitality and were attentive to our every need. When in Sonoma County, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Occidental
Bodega Bay Lodge
#2 of 3 in Jenner
Valley Ford Hotel
Valley Ford Hotel
#1 of 1 in Valley Ford

Been to Inn at Occidental? Share your experiences!