“Two Thumbs Up for Basic Hotel”
Review of Occidental Hotel

Occidental Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Occidental
Fresno, California
“Two Thumbs Up for Basic Hotel”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I give the Occidental Hotel a solid recommendation for a comfortable stay in a basic hotel with no frills. I think it is better described as a motel, complete with a swimming pool. Our room was clean and big enough with a very comfortable bed that would rival a Westin Heavenly Bed. The hotel is located on the main drag and an easy walk to all of the Occidental restaurants - Main Street is only a couple of blocks long - a very quaint setting. The desk clerk was very friendly and provided good advice for dining and directions for wine tasting. No complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Cyranno

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 15 April 2013

It was a cold rainy evening after a lovely spa experience at Osmosis. I checked into a single room, asked for wifi but was given a room that didn't actually have any. I turned on heat and went out to dinner. When I returned the room was still very cold and the internet didn't work at all. I was told I could use my computer at the reception area, which I did for one hour. The receptionist watched a loud movie the entire time right next to me which was very irritating. I found it to be quite rude that he didn't offer to turn it down.
When I returned to the room I discovered that it was still freezing cold because the window had been left open all day by housekeeping. At that point I closed the window and attempted to watch a show on television, but I couldn't hear anything as the heater was so loud that it drowned out the sound on the TV.
Then I tried to use the space heater in the bathroom, which did not function at all. Later I was told that it had been disconnected because it was not child safe.
There is nothing that I would recommend about this hotel. In fact when I raised the issues at check out the next morning I was offered a discount at my next visit. Why would I ever want to stay there again? It was the most unacceptable room I have ever had.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Susan K
1yulupa39, General Manager at Occidental Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Hello Susan,

As I mentioned in my written apology letter to you, we are sorry you had such a poor experience during your visit to our hotel. We welcome your comments and feedback.

As evidenced by the other reviews on this site we do try very hard to make every stay by every guest a comfortable one. While we may not have reached perfection yet, we certainly are trying!

To make sure there is no confusion for our many satisfied return visitors and those seeing us for the first time I wanted to clarify a few items:

1. All our rooms have wi-fi and wi-fi is always free.

2. One window in each room is left open approximately 1 inches prior to a guest checking-in with us. We have some of the best air quality in all of California here in Occidental and have found that entering a room to fresh outside air is preferable to recirculated air. After check-in housekeeping does not open/close/or adjust the guest's windows.

3. If you stay with us and find a heater to be too noisy for your liking, not throwing off enough heat, or if you would just like to have multiple heaters in the room please ask at the front desk and they will provide you with a portable heater at no cost. Or, based on availability, we would be happy to switch your room. In fact, if you would like extra pillows, extras blankets, more towels, soap, etc. please ask us we are happy to help.

Once again, we are sorry your experience at our property was so disappointing and hope you will give us another chance to earn your business.
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We have been coming to occidental for 15 years. We always stayed at the Occidental hotel. The rooms are clean, the staff is excellent. There are very good restaurants in this small quaint town. It is beautiful here. The Italian restaurant is good, karaoke on Saturday nights, Howard's is a must for breakfast.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ice machine.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MCRiders
Reno, NV
Reviewed 3 January 2013

This hotel isn't fancy, but totally functional for the price. As stated in other reviews, walls are thin so bring ear plugs. The rooms were spotless and we are very particular about this as we always bring Clorox wipes to clean everything! We asked for and received an upstairs room. The rooms were roomy and had microwaves and refrigerators in them. Staff is very pleasant and helpful. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would come again.

Room Tip: Ask for upstairs room for more quiet stay.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kndrdsp
California
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I love where this hotel is located - beautiful! But other than the location, I was rather disappionted in our stay at Occidental Hotel. The bed was extremely firm (very uncomfortable, they need to invest in pillow top beds), and the walls were thin (we could hear the people next to us talking and laughing). We did not sleep well.

We had purposely asked for a quiet room, so we were lucky and got one at the end of the building (on the pool side). The man on the phone mentioned they had added sound-proofing. Unfortuntely, this didn't help, even when we stayed on a Sunday night....

The towels needed a good dose of laundry softener, and the heater in our room was hard to get just right....it got either too hot or too cold, and we wanted it "on" to help drown-out the people next door.

This place was about 15-20 minutes from Bodega Bay which worked well for us. Their rates were also reasonable, which is why we checked them out to begin with. The staff were friendly and helpful. Over-all, I have mixed feeling about this hotel because I feel the owners should invest in better beds and wall insulation. It would have been perfect, and I would have been willing to pay a little more for the room had it provided what we needed!

Room Tip: For a good breakfast, eat at Howard's across the street - it's a quick walk.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PakehaCalifornia
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Spent a hot afternoon ziplining through the redwoods and were anxious to get cleaned up. Selected the Occidental Hotel because it was close to the ziplining. A very sweet lady behind the desk got us registered quickly and told us to always call the Hotel first before signing up through other internet sites to possibly get a better deal. Good thing to know. The room was clean and nicely decored. We had an upstairs King bedroom. There are about 20 or so total rooms, so it's a small hotel. The only things kind of negative were that the upstairs rooms took a long time to get hot water up to the showers and the towels were not very soft. But a great loufa!
The setting was beautiful right along the Bohemian Highway nestled among the trees. I would recommend this hotel to those who want to use it as a jump-off based for the loads of other activities in this area. Also on the place side, we were not put right next to other guests, but the manager spread us out so there wasn't any noise from other guests.

Wifi is kind of sketchy and slow loading. But you didn't come there to be on your computer did you?
We paid $129 + taxes for 1 night. A little expensive, but par for the area. Just take your own towels and be patient with getting hot water if you're upstairs.

Room Tip: The only cafe in town was located right across the street and had an excellent breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jennifer P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2012 via mobile

There's no getting away from it, the walls here are really thin so invest a few pennies in some earplugs for an undisturbed night. And, yes, it's a motel not a hotel so if you want a business centre, or valet, concierge and room services then you're probably better off on Highway 101. Other than that, for budget accommodation, it's fine. You won't hear the thrum of the ocean here, but it's only a short hop to the pricier Bodega Bay places and the town of Occidental is a delight. The little Mexican diner, La Mariachi, is cheap and cheerful, the Italian restaurant, Negri's, is unpretentious and good and the Bohemian Market is on hand if you get tired of eating out and want to make your own snacks: decent bread, wine, cheese and salami - what else do you need? There are a couple of artsy shops close by and if you pop into Such Fine Things you might get really lucky and hear a live performance by songstress Teresa Tudbury.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Newshound123
Also consider these accommodations in or near Occidental
Bodega Bay Lodge
#2 of 3 in Jenner
Fort Ross Lodge
Fort Ross Lodge
#1 of 3 in Jenner

Been to Occidental Hotel? Share your experiences!