“An affordable restaurant you can on”

Negri's Original Italian Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 7 Restaurants in Occidental
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I like this place because the atmosphere & decor are like a trip back to the 50's or 60's. It's not self-consciously retro, it's just been here forever without changing much.

The food is reliably good. It's not as amazing as Bistro des Copains, but on the other hand you get a ton of food for about half the price. Also, they give you ice water rather than room-temperature water, which I really appreciate.

I don't remember the name of our waitress, but I loved her. She was an older lady and I think she's been working here a long time. She was relaxed, friendly, attentive and amusing.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

After a disastrous meal at Bistrot des Copains the previous night, we decided to try this family-style Italian restaurant next door. A glance at their menu in advance suggested numerous dinner possibilities. The tables were decorated with white and red checkered covers, like country Italian, and separated by a reasonable distance for comfort. The lighting was good. We ordered an appetizer of calamari fritti, a 50:50 mix of rounds and tentacles, which we loved. An unexpected pleasure! It came with 2 sauces that might have been presented in easier to work dishes. They started our dinners with a HUGE portion of minestrone soup that was very tasty and packed with vegetables and noodles, albeit somewhat overcooked. Then came the salami, bread, and a small antipasto plate with pickled veggies. This was followed by a small portion of meat-filled ravioli with a red sauce that was tasty and a nice mixed salad of fresh greens and dressing of choice. We remarked to ourselves, "What's the deal with all this food!" Just hard to believe, and we should never have order that appetizer. My wife had a main course of chicken Marsala that was well prepared. The chicken was not at all dry and the sauce was excellent. I had a crispy roasted duck half without the mushroom gravy being poured on it ... so it stayed crispy. The gravy was just OK in any case, and I passed on it. My advice is to never put runny liquids on a crispy duck; always put it under the meat. The duck was surprisingly sumptuous given the family-style of dining at this restaurant. The duck came with well-made crispy French fries, which the Bistrot next door could not achieve. People, they give you so much food at this place that you are forced to wonder how they could operate at a profit. The service was timely and attentive.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Decided to try Negri's since we had a bit of nostalgia and hadn't been there since I was a teenager. There were quite a few selections from fish to chicken to steak; $19-$28 for dinner. If you order the dinner, it comes with minestrone soup, salad, raviolis, pickled kidney/garbanzo beans, salami, zucchini pancakes, and French bread. My husband had snapper and I had fried shrimp. With your main dish, the choices are mash potatoes, fries, or vegetables. It was good family style food and reminded me of our Italian family gatherings many years ago. It wasn't too busy because it was a Monday just before 5:00 pm. We were having dinner with two other couples and it was a lot of fun. I would suggest if you're close to the Bodega Bay area, take a trip to Occidental and try this restaurant. I would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

My wife was taken to Negri's 20+ years ago when she was in the area for a conference. We go there whenever we are in the area, and have never been disappointed. Don't be put off by what it looks like on the outside, the food is really very special. My own favorite is the squid steak (body meat) -- absolutely wonderful!!!!!!! The wine list is filled with wonderful "local" wines (after all, it is located in Sonoma County) that are reasonably priced. The service has always been excellent. A great place.

1  Thank Bob M
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Been going to Negri's since I was a tot. It never fails. It's reinventing itself (slowly) since Joe Jr. passed (nothing you'd miss will change just a nuance here and there) and so long as mama Evelyn and the daughters and granddaughters (my how those Negri women multiply!) keep the fires burning, it will always and forever be, truly an Italian Family style restaurant (the ravioli--best in the world--the minestrone, with slabs of pasta nose-to-nose). Writing about it makes me miss it more...

1  Thank kentwallace