“Great Food Bad Service!”
Review of Bistro Des Copains - CLOSED

Bistro Des Copains
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The dinner here was very tasty and we really enjoyed it after it was finally served. I had the duck very generous portion and cooked wonderfully with dried and fresh cherries....EXCELLENT! My partner had Braised Beef Shank also very delicious! However the waitress was terrible! Supper slow service and Never came to ask us how our dinner is/was ETC. The bus boy seemed to be right on top of things big time. Once we finished our dinner plates were cleared right away he presented us with dessert menus right away and when finished with our meal picked up our credit card and presented us with our check right away while our waitress was busy chatting with co-workers.
I think the " Bus Boy" should be a waiter here and the "Waitress" should maybe be a dishwasher? Hope the management reads this review! One last detail there were flies all over inside the restaurant this evening and the staff seemed oblivious? That may be OK for Al fresco dining but not in a highly rated dinning establishment.

PammelJ, Owner at Bistro Des Copains, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Hello

Thank you so much for coming to dine at Bistro Des Copains and for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I am very pleased you were happy with your food. I am truly sorry and apologize for the poor service. This is definitely not what we want for our guests.

As you didn't indicate when you dined here, I am not sure which server you are referring to. So I will talk to all of them about your feedback in hopes we can prevent future guests having a similar experience.

Flies are a constant battle for us out in the country and I am sorry they affected your meal. We have regular pest control service and try to keep the doors closed so they stay outside.

Health Department regulations don't allow us to hang strips or traps to catch flies so we have limited options for combating them. Believe it or not, it is only a problem on hot evenings. When it is cooler and/or we have a breeze, no problem.

Again, thanks for coming to dine at the Bistro. We hope to serve you again in the not too distant future.

co-owner

There are newer reviews for Bistro Des Copains

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The food was good, but for the price I expected more. I'd heard so much about the place I was looking forward to it. We say outside in a concrete alley. All in all I was disappointed.

Hello

Thank you so much for coming to dine at the Bistro and for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry you were disappointed in your meal but without more specifics I can't really respond to your concerns/feedback.

What you describe as a concrete alley is not what the vast majority of our guests say about the back patio. It is tree covered along a planting area with fresh herbs and vegetables and true, the floor is concrete. We have guests who request to dine outside every time they come.

Regardless, I will take a look at that area and see if we need to do something to make it more appealing to diners.

Again, thank you for coming to dine at the Bistro.

co-owner

Reviewed 14 July 2014

Bistro de Copains now changes its menu seasonally, dropping my favorite mushroom creme brulee and the traditional escorgot. And to make it worse, the beef tartar had no flavorings at all, no worcheshire, no capers or anything else. The scallops were fine but the mushroom base on which it was placed was dry and salty. Please please, go back to your traditional French menu and cooking. Sweet staff though.
And if you placed pieces of carpet stapled to the underside of the tables (yes!) the sound reverberations would be better and we could hear each other talk. Michel..please heed this!

I am sorry you were disappointed with some parts of your meal. We have had the mushroom crème brulee on the menu for almost 18 months and we decided it was time to do something else for the summer. I promise it will return to the menu in the fall.

We are serving escargots the way we have always served them in puff pastry with a bordelaise sauce. No one can recall if we have ever served them with butter, garlic and parsley in an escargot plate or shells.

I chatted with the chef last night about your feedback about the beef tartar and scallops. I agree with you on both counts. He is going to rework them and hopefully, when you return, you will love these dishes.

Noise has been a constant struggle since we opened the restaurant, some people love the sounds of people chatting, having a good time, others, like you it seems would prefer to have a lot lower decibel. We will try to figure out something that will address your concerns.

Yes, I do read every review we get on Trip Advisor, Yelp or feedback directly to the Bistro and take all feedback very seriously. We will do everything we can to address you concerns. We appreciate your patronage very much.

Co-owner Bistro Des Copains

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Dined with four women (5 total) during our "girls' weekend" in Sonoma. All were pleased with menu and meals. Really delicious and laid back.

It was a Sunday night and they said short-staffed so it took longer than for food service than would be expected, but we weren't in a big rush. Plus, a very large party had departed immediately before we arrived.

Meals ordered were duck, tartar du jour, catch of day wild king salmon, onion soup, various salads, cheese platter.

Worth the drive over to Occidental from Bodega Bay, though we didn't have a restaurant destination in mind. An excellent find!!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Visited here twice and the food was very good. Lovely service and accommodated our vegetarian needs. A little bit of european loveliness in downtown Occidental!