“Wyndham Oceanside It's OK”

Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We visited this location in late September. The check-in was decently smooth. I asked for an oceanview room on checkin, the clerk was very rude (Kevin maybe) and said, we are fully booked. He said this before even checking. So, we got a room facing the train tracks. The master was not an issue, but my two young boys woke up several times mostly in the morning as the trains start going about 5 AM. Also about checkin, remember at Wyndham to get your "parking pass", they push their free welcome breakfast which is really just to get you to sign up for a timeshare presentation. I firmly said "I'm not interested"...the gentlemen asked me "in what" and I said "in anything you are selling". He abruptly handed me my parking pass and that was the end of that.

The rooms are nicely decorated. The balcony was a joke as it directly faced another building. We loved the washing machine and full kitchen. If you had an ocean view room, it would be a great place! But, the early morning trains blowing their horns really prevented me from giving them "a very good rating". We had a sound machine going pretty loud in my boys room and it still woke them up. Plus the front desk could use a little training in service. Onsite, is a very high end restaurant that was very good (and we had zero issues being accommodated with two very small children). They do not deliver to the rooms. It would be nice to have a little cheaper option like a diner, pizza, etc. especially if you are staying like a week which we were but the full kitchen really made up for that.

My kids swam in the pool; it was late September and it was not heated, but they had a good time anyway. The beds are super comfortable. And, they had a complimentary bell man (although we did tip). Parking was down below and really safe which I appreciated in the area. We did not hear the train from the master, but I don't know if that was our particular floor plan or not. Apart from the rude guy on check-in and the train noise...I don't think I can complain too much considering the price we paid. We would stay again but don't expect to get Oceanside unless you are an owner (we had rented from an owner).

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing ocean not the train.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank HeidingOut
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you HeidingOut for sharing your experience at our resort! I am disappointed to hear about your experience with our Guest Services team member, we do strive to ensure each guest receives our Count on Me service. I am pleased to share that we do have another restaurant option which opened just after your visit in September. ZigZag Pizza offers build your own pizza and salads, all very tasty!

If you are intersted in returning, Extra Holidays offers space at our resort, hotel rooms, 1 bedroom units as well as 2 bedroom units.

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I along with my wife and 2 adult daughters stayed for a week in the 2-bedroom suite facing the ocean. Rooms and kitchen are very well furnished and there are two great restaurants within the property itself. Views are awesome and location is right across the pier and as well as across the little downtown with many eateries and a good movie theater. Fresh-n-Easy store was couple miles away - convenient enough for picking the fresh fruits, milk, vegetables etc.Resort also organizes many activities every day. Metrolink/AmTrack railway station is very close-by as well. We loved relaxing and chilling all 7-days with walks on the beach, watching movies and enjoying good food.

Room Tip: Rooms towards ocean have great views and are farther away from railway line
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RipuG
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience here in Oceanside! It's great to hear how much you and your family enjoyed not only the resort but the area as well! On your next visit, you may want to visit the Harbor, just a mile North of us, a great place to dine and maybe rent a kayak or two. Every Thursday, downtown hosts a morning farmers market (perfect for fresh produce) and and evening street fair, again fun for the entire family.

We look forward to your next visit ! Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Because this is a time share hotel the side that is available for hotel customers is by a loud train. Wear the ear plugs! The area is beautiful and the hotel itself was nice. We sat in on a time share presentation and they pretty
Much told us that the owners get the good side and that they have those hotel rooms available because they had to have those rooms in order to be able to build and have a hotel there.

• Stayed: December 2013
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you Amviv for taking the time to write a review! You are correct, we are a timeshare resort that also offers rooms available for rent. We have both hotel rooms located on the city side and 1 bedroom units available for rent in the interior of the property. You may also find 2 bedroom units available tor rent as well through Extra Holidays. I do like to share with guests that the trains can be heard throughout the property, regardless of which direction your room is facing.

I am pleased to see that you had an enjoyable time with us! We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 15 December 2013

The hotel is located on the ocean, right across the street from the beautiful Oceanside Pier. There is underground parking and I LOVED that you had to have a room key for the elevator to access the level your room was on. I felt safe! Our room was very nice and comfortable. My mom and sister slept on the king size bed and I slept very comfortably on the sofa couch. (sofa couches have really come a long way!) The train is right behind the hotel, but they provide ear plugs. At first we thought it was because they knew our mom snored crazy loud, but I believe it was for the noise from the train. We did NOT hear the train while sleeping and did not use the ear plugs. Our flight home was cancelled last minute and the night staff was able to get me an accommodation for another day without having to change rooms. I really appreciated that. I loved Oceanside and for the price (Our deluxe room was with tax $122/night) was very satisfied. It is a timeshare but there was zero sales pressure, only a call in the afternoon to make sure we had everything we needed after our first night. (They do invite you to a breakfast which would include a tour of the property and I assume that is where the high pressure sales come in.) We just didn't go, so it was no problem. Don't worry about the train. It is actually a convenience because there are many places it can take you to so you don't have to drive. We will stay here again.

Room Tip: Oceanside would obviously be preferred, but we were on the train track side. Still a beautiful view...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so glad you felt safe during your visit and that the ear plugs worked to block out noise from the train. We are sorry to hear your flight was cancelled last minute, but very happy our staff was able to accommodate another night at our resort. We strive to make each guest feel at home while staying with us. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel was ok but very bad and late room cleaning..was out all day and at 4-5PM the maid came..to clean? There is a first for everything. And check out is 10AM. Worst breakfast so far, coffe and donuts only.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you for providing this feedback! We are sorry to hear our services
and amenities did not meet your expectations. We know that when you are staying with us
one of the most convenient things is having an onsite restaurant. While we do not have a restaurant serving breakfast, we do offer a variety of activities offering meals including the Coffee & Donuts on Mondays and Wednesdays. There are several restaurants within a short walk as well offering a variety of dining options. We value your suggestions and feedback as it gives us guidance on what to provide our guests during vacation. Again, thank you for reaching out.

Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

This place has a train that runs right behind it 24 hrs a day. They offer earplugs if you stay in the "rear facing" rooms for a reason. Expect to get zero peaceful sleep in these rooms. Even from the ocean view rooms one can hear the train's thunder and roar. The location is steps from the beach and the hotel restaurants are good, but proceed with caution at this place.

• Stayed: November 2013
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the train being located so close to our property. However, we do offer complimentary ear plugs at the front desk for your convenience. We apologize for the noise and greatly appreciate the feedback. Please feel free to reach out to the manager during your stay if this occurs in the future. Again, thank you for reaching out.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We used our timeshare points for this stay and were very pleased with the location and quality of our 2 bedroom unit. Loved the restaurant on the pier and the Friday night street fair. The area looks like it is trying to rebuild itself from some apparent hard times.
Would stay there again, but as always Wyndham tried to sell us more points. Just tell them no thanks, leave me alone.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank UPStater N
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Hi Debra,

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. We appreciate your kind words and will share them with our staff. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the restaurant on the pier and the Friday night street fair. We look forward to your next visit.