“Excelent resort”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Queens
“Excelent resort”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Our family of 4 visited California for the 1st time this February for Presidents week break. The resort was outstanding with great customer service. People here are relaxed with smiles on their faces. This time of the year this resort did not seem to be crowded at all. Also there was work done on the outside of the resort, like painting and stucco repairs.It was pretty cold week and it was windy. Therefore children went to the pool only once when it was warmer. But water in the pool is warm e.g. 78 degrees. That's why it's only cold when you get out of it. Maintenance workers vacuumed and cleaned the pool every morning. I could see them out of our windows. Speaking of which there were plenty of them in our 2 bedroom unit on 6th floor. We had beautiful ocean view on 1 side of the unit and city views from our balcony. The kitchen had all the utensils you'll ever need. We went to Walmart for some groceries and and cooked in our unit couple of times. There was buffet breakfast on Sunday for $8.00 /person. I think it was overpriced for the lack of selections. There were literally 4 things to eat: some fake scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes that you had to wait to be made and couple of yogurts with granolas. I think we would've had better breakfast at the unit from groceries we bought from Walmart which we did on following days. On Friday there was a Fiesta night which was free, but there were barely any people there and the food was also limited to few choices . There was also some Spanish music playing on someones i-pod. It was not very festive. The best thing I liked was the Market that was on Thursday. There were a lot of interesting things sold there and plenty of food prepared. We were busy for the most part of the week and did not even have a chance to walk to the pier or go to the 7th floor where I read there was a Sky-lounge with panoramic views. What a shame!! I still feel sorry that we did not make time to get there.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at Oceanside and I would go there in a flash if it would not be for long flight from New York.

Room Tip: Try to request ocean view room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angy0928
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Hello! Thank you for your candid comments! I am pleased to hear what a wonderful time you and your family had in Oceanside! Your comments about our activities are appreciated and will be shared with the team. We just introduced a new activities guide filled with a variety of new activities and some old favorites with a new twist (in fact, we are changing our Sunday morning Pancake Breakfast a bit). When you do return, please be sure to check out the Sky lounge, it is my favorite place on property with panoramic views of the coast line. Only a mile North of us is the Oceanside Harbor, another fun family oriented place to enjoy. There are more beaches, paddle board, kayak and jet ski rentals or take a day trip to spot a whale or to go ocean fishing.

We look forward to your next visit. If there is anything we can do to help plan your next stay, please feel free to give me or any team member at the resort a call.

Happy Vacationing!

760.901.1200

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Texas
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Some of our recent trips as vacation rentals have been disappointing lately. This location, however, is outstanding. Rooms are great and we had a beautiful view of the ocean. The room was clean and looked brand new. We stayed for a long weekend, along with one other couple. The two bedroom unit was plenty of space for us. I only wish that we could have stayed longer!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LeaH1109
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience here in Oceanside - I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay!

We look forward to welcoming you as our guests again in the future!

Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Beautiful location. Excellent views. Comfortable rooms. We are not owners and did not have a direct ocean view which we knew would not be available to rental guests. However, from certain areas of our room we could see the ocean, trees, lovely room and views. Staff very friendly and helpful. My husband and I went out to dinner came home and were falling asleep around 9p and they called our room to invite us to another breakfast because we did not go the one set up immediately upon our arrival the night before (son answered phone and told them we would try to make it----also got a reminder call the next morning. It would be nice if right from the start these "invitations to breakfast" were clearly stated that they are for timeshare presentation (which we figured) however, upon arrival to this breakfast we were asked to fill out a form. They wanted picture ID of both husband and wife, Driver's license info, credit card information and yearly income. We were not told we would need to bring ID to "breakfast" and did NOT feel comfortable giving any of our information. Would definitely stay again but next time upon arrival and visit to the concierge desk would make it known that we are not interested in owning a timeshare or attending any "breakfast gatherings".

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hello! I'm pleased to read your comments about your recent experience. As you learned, we are a timeshare resort and will invite guests to learn more about the products we offer. I will forward your coments on to our Marketing Manager for their review.

We look forward to having you as our guests again in the future!

Warm regards,

Arizona City, Arizona
Reviewed 3 February 2014

As a time share owner we did not meet with any unexpected problems. We had booked an Ocean front room and we were delighted with the room. We had a great view of the ocean and the pier. The weather cooperated most of the week. We parked our car in the free parking area under the resort and never moved it once we got there. The local transportation system is outstanding and should be incorporated in many other large cities in the US. We rode the train to San Diego and enjoyed the view from the upper deck of the train. The staff of the resort was professional and friendly, from the check in people to the entire staff. We never passed and employee without being greeted with a good morning or afternoon. There were several activities during the week from donuts and coffee on two mornings to a Mexican food dinner that was free. The pier was great fun and Ruby's at the end of the pier was a great place to eat. I had read many negative reviews about Ruby's but did not have any problems. The service was fast and the food was excellent.

While you can hear the train horn from the front of the resort it was not a distraction and we did not lose any sleep because of it. This is an excellent resort and I would give it five stars. We have been owners for many years and I think this is one of the best resort weeks I have had. Great job Wyndham.

Room Tip: Book a room near the front of the resort and enjoy the view of the ocean.
Green Features: Trash had a place for plastic and cans for recycling.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jim G
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for sharing such great comments and tips about the resort! I'm happy to hear how much you enjoyed your time and that you took advantage of the train, it is a great way to travel the coast for a day trip!

We look forward to your next visit!

Rancho Cucamonga
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Booked a 2 bedroom here through ResorTime. I, my wife, and kids 6 in all headed out here for a short 2 night stay. I called at 2 o'clock the day of check in confirming our reservation and was assured our 2 bedroom condo was available and awaiting our presence. Arrived at 6pm that evening at the front desk. Was greeted in a friendly manner and asked for my credit card, after swiping the card for the Security Deposit I was then told they " ran out of 2 bedrooms". After waiting 2 hours in the lobby they "offered" to give us a 1 bedroom and a studio. Recommending we sleep separate ... Out of options and the time of night I told them to keep the studio and we will make due with the 1bedroom. They offered to credit the difference of the 2 bedroom vs the 1, I have not received any credit thus far nor have I heard from them after leaving countless messages on how displeased we were. We will never stay here or recommend Wyndham Oceanside Pier again.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Laura R
My apologies to you for a disappointing experience. We had several unexpected challenges these past two weeks as a result of an exterior paint project causing several last minute changes to reservations. Please be assured that this is not typical for our resort. It is my hope that you do give our resort another opportunity in the future. If I can be of personal assistance, please do feel free to contact me at 760.901.1200.

Duarte, California
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Overall, a very nice and clean place to stay. The best feature is that the resort is within a 2 minute walk to the sand, surf, and Oceanside pier. Great spot, plenty of parking (at least when I went), and close to lots of fun things to do. Pool was nice and clean, kids game area, and fitness center was large and had most equipment for a great workout!! One possible negative point, the Amtrask Surfliner and Metrolink trains run constantly, and you can hear the train and the train bells/horn. So, it could be bothersome for some people. I didn't mind it, but the resort does offer complimentary disposible ear plugs.

Also, since this is a timeshare resort as part of Wyndham's family of resorts, they will more than likely offer you a timeshare presentation and a gift to attend. We've done this a couple of times, as one gift was a free 3 day/2 night stay at any Wyndham resort and the other was a $100 AMEX gift card. Both times, they offered breakfast, so we signed up, sat through the presentation, had breakfast (which wasn't bad at all), and received out gift. If you decide to do the presentation here, here are a couple of tips for you. If you tell them upfront that you have no interest in buying a timeshare, they won't be as pushy. Also, when youfill in the timeshare profile sheet when you check in, put your income at the bare minimum of $40000, that way you don't have to sit through their top to bottom sales pitch, from the most expensive plan to the least expensive plan. Also, under no circumstances (unless of course you plan to buy a timeshare), do you allow them to run your credit or get your social security number. If they have your credit score, they will be even pushier to sell to you becuase they will know what you can really afford. I didn't permit them to run my credit, but others who did when I was there were pushed hard to buy.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, the details are helpful and right on target! I'm pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the resort and the area, there is a lot to offer!

We look forward to welcoming you as our guest again in the future!

Happy travels!
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

I am a timeshare owner so I know what to expect when I travel to a Wyndham resort. Many of these reviews are from what would appear to be non owners. This is our second stay and the unit met all of our expectations. Fully equipped kitchen, our home away from home. We had a north tower 7th floor unit overlooking the ocean. Awesome sunsets. Even the weather co-operated. On the down side our safe was not working but the maintenance men looked after that pronto and the front desk called to make sure everything was looked after. The other issue was the hit and miss wifi reception for our first three days but again this eventually was sorted out. The front end and maintenance staff were prompt and courteous.
As for the trains - my son and I are train fanatics so we enjoyed listening to the trains. We travelled to Oceanside by train. That's the beauty of staying here - you can travel all over Southern California from here using the local transit services.

Avoid the timeshare sales chat unless you are interested in purchasing. I did go for an update and was not impressed with our meeting. The sales person got up and left several times to "get" paperwork that we finally left after waiting 20 minutes.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Janemarialberta
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Thank you for your review! Yes, I am glad you mentioned that we are a timeshare resort and we do have some hotel rooms on the city view side of the property. All guests, however, have full use of all amenities while visiting, including a 7th floor Sky Lounge with panoramic views of the coast line.

I'm pleased to hear about the prompt response of the team and how you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you as our guest again in the future!

Safe Travels,