“Great stay in a great location”

Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Mexico
“Great stay in a great location”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

What more can one say? This facility is just across the street from the pier and the beach. The resort was immaculately clean and well furnished. The two bedroom unit's south facing balcony had an OK view of the ocean; and the sunset view from the 7th floor lounge was nothing short of fantastic.

There is free underground guest parking at the resort. There is Amtrak and commuter rail lines a couple of blocks away, but no one escapes the train horns in Oceanside. But the noise is considerably lower on the weekends.

Room Tip: Handicapped accessible rooms with roll-in showers are available.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Hello Southwest Nomad!

We are pleased to read about your great experience here in Oceanside! Thanks for mentioning that you can't get away from the trains while in the city! You are right; any coastal resort just two blocks from a station will hear them all of the time. They are great way to travel the coast! I'm glad you were able to enjoy the 7th floor Sky Lounge, my favorite place on property! We also host a variety of activities for all ages, so if you didn't get a chance to take part in them this visit, please be sure to visit our Activities team on your next visit.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience; we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Happy Travels,

760.901.1200

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Harpenden, UK
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We walked in off the street and got a room for the night. The resort is in a nice position on the seafront, though our room at the back overlooked the town and the railway line, which at least allowed me to train spot. No complaints about this, though, as I was a late, unexpected arrival. Its guests are mainly timeshare owners, of course, though why anyone would want to tie up capital in a timeshare always beats me. The room was small but well-furnished and with a nice bathroom. The lobby was huge, but rather cold and impersonal, and the staff at the various front desks ranged from sweet and lovable (she was female) to rude and arrogant (he wasn't). If I'm in Oceanside again, I hope the new Marriott Springhill Suites nearby has been completed.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank UKPeripatetic
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 15 March 2014
Hello and thank you for your comments as well as giving us a try. You are right; we are a timeshare resort with dedicated hotel rooms on the city side of the building and some one and two bedroom rooms available for rent to the public. It sounds like the room met your expectations yet our service fell short. Service is something we pride ourselves in so I will definitely share your comments with our associates. I do apologize.

If you do decide to give us another try, please feel free to reach out to me with any questions or comments.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Happy travels,

Queens
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Our family of 4 visited California for the 1st time this February for Presidents week break. The resort was outstanding with great customer service. People here are relaxed with smiles on their faces. This time of the year this resort did not seem to be crowded at all. Also there was work done on the outside of the resort, like painting and stucco repairs.It was pretty cold week and it was windy. Therefore children went to the pool only once when it was warmer. But water in the pool is warm e.g. 78 degrees. That's why it's only cold when you get out of it. Maintenance workers vacuumed and cleaned the pool every morning. I could see them out of our windows. Speaking of which there were plenty of them in our 2 bedroom unit on 6th floor. We had beautiful ocean view on 1 side of the unit and city views from our balcony. The kitchen had all the utensils you'll ever need. We went to Walmart for some groceries and and cooked in our unit couple of times. There was buffet breakfast on Sunday for $8.00 /person. I think it was overpriced for the lack of selections. There were literally 4 things to eat: some fake scrambled eggs, sausage, pancakes that you had to wait to be made and couple of yogurts with granolas. I think we would've had better breakfast at the unit from groceries we bought from Walmart which we did on following days. On Friday there was a Fiesta night which was free, but there were barely any people there and the food was also limited to few choices . There was also some Spanish music playing on someones i-pod. It was not very festive. The best thing I liked was the Market that was on Thursday. There were a lot of interesting things sold there and plenty of food prepared. We were busy for the most part of the week and did not even have a chance to walk to the pier or go to the 7th floor where I read there was a Sky-lounge with panoramic views. What a shame!! I still feel sorry that we did not make time to get there.
Overall we enjoyed our stay at Oceanside and I would go there in a flash if it would not be for long flight from New York.

Room Tip: Try to request ocean view room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angy0928
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Hello! Thank you for your candid comments! I am pleased to hear what a wonderful time you and your family had in Oceanside! Your comments about our activities are appreciated and will be shared with the team. We just introduced a new activities guide filled with a variety of new activities and some old favorites with a new twist (in fact, we are changing our Sunday morning Pancake Breakfast a bit). When you do return, please be sure to check out the Sky lounge, it is my favorite place on property with panoramic views of the coast line. Only a mile North of us is the Oceanside Harbor, another fun family oriented place to enjoy. There are more beaches, paddle board, kayak and jet ski rentals or take a day trip to spot a whale or to go ocean fishing.

We look forward to your next visit. If there is anything we can do to help plan your next stay, please feel free to give me or any team member at the resort a call.

Happy Vacationing!

Texas
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Some of our recent trips as vacation rentals have been disappointing lately. This location, however, is outstanding. Rooms are great and we had a beautiful view of the ocean. The room was clean and looked brand new. We stayed for a long weekend, along with one other couple. The two bedroom unit was plenty of space for us. I only wish that we could have stayed longer!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LeaH1109
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience here in Oceanside - I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay!

We look forward to welcoming you as our guests again in the future!

Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Beautiful location. Excellent views. Comfortable rooms. We are not owners and did not have a direct ocean view which we knew would not be available to rental guests. However, from certain areas of our room we could see the ocean, trees, lovely room and views. Staff very friendly and helpful. My husband and I went out to dinner came home and were falling asleep around 9p and they called our room to invite us to another breakfast because we did not go the one set up immediately upon our arrival the night before (son answered phone and told them we would try to make it----also got a reminder call the next morning. It would be nice if right from the start these "invitations to breakfast" were clearly stated that they are for timeshare presentation (which we figured) however, upon arrival to this breakfast we were asked to fill out a form. They wanted picture ID of both husband and wife, Driver's license info, credit card information and yearly income. We were not told we would need to bring ID to "breakfast" and did NOT feel comfortable giving any of our information. Would definitely stay again but next time upon arrival and visit to the concierge desk would make it known that we are not interested in owning a timeshare or attending any "breakfast gatherings".

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hello! I'm pleased to read your comments about your recent experience. As you learned, we are a timeshare resort and will invite guests to learn more about the products we offer. I will forward your coments on to our Marketing Manager for their review.

We look forward to having you as our guests again in the future!

Warm regards,

Arizona City, Arizona
Reviewed 3 February 2014

As a time share owner we did not meet with any unexpected problems. We had booked an Ocean front room and we were delighted with the room. We had a great view of the ocean and the pier. The weather cooperated most of the week. We parked our car in the free parking area under the resort and never moved it once we got there. The local transportation system is outstanding and should be incorporated in many other large cities in the US. We rode the train to San Diego and enjoyed the view from the upper deck of the train. The staff of the resort was professional and friendly, from the check in people to the entire staff. We never passed and employee without being greeted with a good morning or afternoon. There were several activities during the week from donuts and coffee on two mornings to a Mexican food dinner that was free. The pier was great fun and Ruby's at the end of the pier was a great place to eat. I had read many negative reviews about Ruby's but did not have any problems. The service was fast and the food was excellent.

While you can hear the train horn from the front of the resort it was not a distraction and we did not lose any sleep because of it. This is an excellent resort and I would give it five stars. We have been owners for many years and I think this is one of the best resort weeks I have had. Great job Wyndham.

Room Tip: Book a room near the front of the resort and enjoy the view of the ocean.
Green Features: Trash had a place for plastic and cans for recycling.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jim G
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Thank you for sharing such great comments and tips about the resort! I'm happy to hear how much you enjoyed your time and that you took advantage of the train, it is a great way to travel the coast for a day trip!

We look forward to your next visit!

Rancho Cucamonga
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Booked a 2 bedroom here through ResorTime. I, my wife, and kids 6 in all headed out here for a short 2 night stay. I called at 2 o'clock the day of check in confirming our reservation and was assured our 2 bedroom condo was available and awaiting our presence. Arrived at 6pm that evening at the front desk. Was greeted in a friendly manner and asked for my credit card, after swiping the card for the Security Deposit I was then told they " ran out of 2 bedrooms". After waiting 2 hours in the lobby they "offered" to give us a 1 bedroom and a studio. Recommending we sleep separate ... Out of options and the time of night I told them to keep the studio and we will make due with the 1bedroom. They offered to credit the difference of the 2 bedroom vs the 1, I have not received any credit thus far nor have I heard from them after leaving countless messages on how displeased we were. We will never stay here or recommend Wyndham Oceanside Pier again.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Laura R
My apologies to you for a disappointing experience. We had several unexpected challenges these past two weeks as a result of an exterior paint project causing several last minute changes to reservations. Please be assured that this is not typical for our resort. It is my hope that you do give our resort another opportunity in the future. If I can be of personal assistance, please do feel free to contact me at 760.901.1200.