“Beautiful room & location, train will wake u up, not worth it.”

Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort
Ranked #9 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
GreenLeadersSilver level
Oceanside, California
“Beautiful room & location, train will wake u up, not worth it.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

The only rooms available are on the train tracks. And it sounds like your on the train tracks. Was not worth it. You can however rent privately from owners who have ocean view. Highly recommend it. There is a place just down the road called North Coast. It is fully enclosed onto itself has a pool hot tub work out room, putting green, laundry and under ground parking. There are many rentals on the property.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Woat
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello!

Thank you for giving us a try, despite being so close to the train tracks. Since we are just 1 block from the intersection where the trains must sound their horns as they pass through, you can hear the trains throughout the property to varying degrees. Since you seemed to enjoy the property, I would like to recommend trying a one bedroom unit (with an ocean view) that is available to rent throughout the year through Extra Holidays. (They also have 2 bedroom units available as well which are located throughout the property.) The one bedroom units are on the interior of the property and while you can hear the trains when windows and doors are open, the train sounds are a bit more muffled than the east side.

We appreciate your comments and hope that you will consider staying with us again!

760.901.1200

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed here during the Bike the Coast event last year. We had a one bedroom suite and another couple had a standard hotel room. The rooms were clean, nicely furnished. Great location as all we had to do was go down. The only thing I didn't like was the hard selling of the time share. I paid the price for my room but it felt like we would only be guaranteed good service if we attended the timeshare presentation. We were told to go to another desk after checking in to pick up brochures about the area and to get our parking pass. Totally pressured to attend the meeting. I purposely did not book rooms with the promo price so I wouldn't be hassled but they called me everyday during my stay there. Please do not pick up the room phone if you are not expecting any calls!!!! Location is perfect for the Bike the Coast so we booked again for the 2014 Bike the Coast event. I would like to come back and check it out during the summer so we can spend time on the beach when it's warmer. I hope that service will improve and they won't try to sell me anything!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Ctuason
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Hello!

I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time here in Oceanside for the event. I understand your concern about the time share presentation. It is important that I share that as a time-share resort and company, the goal is to invite all guests who stay at the resort to learn more about the products and programs that Wyndham has to offer. This will happen with each guest regardless of the promotional package they are traveling on. It certainly is your choice to accept the invitation or not.

When you visit during the summer, be sure to enjoy all that the community has to offer including the Harbor just a mile north of us as well as the Farmer's & Sunset Markets held every Thursday.

We look forward to having you as our guest again soon!

Washington Terrace, Utah, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

This hotel has its fair share of Jeckyl & Hyde reviews on here. So many people say this is the best place ever, then there are the several reports of the train noise and the crazy process you go through to get your parking pass. Being the worlds lightest sleeper, if anyone could get bothered by the train noise it would be me. I also cannot stand high pressure sales pitches. So i had to try this place out to really see if it was that bad. Being a non-owner I had a pretty good idea I would get a two bedroom suite in the back where the train noise is the worst. Sure enough we were on the 4th floor on the back.

THE TRAIN NOISE
It really wasn't that bad. We came equipped with ear plugs and were ready for worst nights of sleep ever. We heard the trains a few times, but it was far less than anticipated. It woke me a few times during the trip but I was able to get right back to sleep. The rest of the family didn't even need the ear plugs. It is totally bearable and the trains are pretty fun to watch.

THE PARKING PASS GUY
After you check in, they make you get your parking pass from the "concierge" desk. I knew his goal was to get me to the timeshare meeting. My plan was to be nice but firm in not going to the breakfast. When I approached he was the coolest guy ever. He gave me some discount tickets to Legoland, maps and some great advice on where to eat. Then he pitched the welcome breakfast, I delightfully declined his invitation. He explained it some more and I declined again. He then proceeds to tell me that they have changed their approach and it would be a no pressure meeting. I again decline and now he is getting mad. He tells me that he just needs me to go to the welcome breakfast. I again decline and try to give him a tip for being helpful. He said, "I can't take your money." and then mutters under his breath that I can help him by going to the welcome breakfast and walks away. One problem, I didn't get the parking pass, the main reason I was sent to see him. He sees me still there and says, "What else do you want?" Um my parking pass. He slapped it on the counter and walked away without saying anything else. What a joke! For no pressure, this guy sure poured it on hard. Yes the parking pass guy is as bad as advertised. Please change this Wyndham. Please just give us our parking passes when we check in with our room keys. Let concierge reps take tips like a normal concierge desk.

Everything else about our stay was perfect! The room was clean and was very nice. Even though our room was on the back, we could still see the beach from our balcony. The location is unbelievable. If you stay in the South towers you get to ride in the smellevator. The smell of brick oven pizza is awesome. You have to try Zig Zag pizza it is as good as it smells, The view from the lounge on the 7th floor was unbelievable. The farmers market on Thursday is worth staying late or coming early. At night they add a lot of food vendors into the mix and call it the sunset market. Everything is so close to this resort. It is well taken care of and secure. The pool can get crowded, but that is to be expected. I would recommend this place to any family looking for a great location for a decent price.

Room Tip: Beware of the concierge desk
2 Thank Rob B
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Hello Rob!

I have to say, your review was most entertaining, I laughed out loud! Thank you for your candid and quite frank approach. I would say your review is most helpful in painting a great picture of what it is like to stay here. If I may add that the trains can be heard throughout the property, I even have guests in the ocean front units who share their feedback about how loud the trains are.

As for the "parking pass guy", I have forwarded your comments on to our sales partners so they can read first hand the experience delivered. The resort team strives to deliver exceptional service and this approach certainly falls short of that.

Thank you again for taking time out of your day to write a review, it is appreciated!

I hope you do find the time to return and enjoy another stay at our resort!

Clovis, California, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We had the opportunity to stay at the Wyndham Oceanside while vacationing and visiting family in the San Diego area.
First, location! The Wyndham is easy to find and get to. It is locating only 100 feet or so from the beach and it's a beautiful view.
Second, dining. If you take in the beach, there are a couple of little places to eat at that have wonderful and snacks. At the end of the pier is Ruby's for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Down below the Wyndham is Zigzag Pizza with lots of artisan pizzas to choose from and plenty of different kinds of beers, wines and sodas. And next to Zigzag Pizza is the incredible 333 Pacific Steak and Seafood Restaurant, one of the finest in the San Diego area.
Third, Sightseeing. Did I mention that the Pacific Ocean in nearby....? Well it is. In addition, Mission San Luis Rey de Francia, Mission #18 and the largest of the Spanish Missions is just a couple of miles away. You have to see it! The San Diego Zoo Safari Park is also within 20 minutes and just a little further in Carlsbad, you'll arrive at Legoland (Be advised, Legoland is bigger than you imagine). And the list goes on and on...
Fourth, service. Check in is smooth and easy and the staff is happy, courteous and gracious. The Concierge is also very knowledgeable and helpful with finding things to do in the area and how to's.
Fifth, the rooms and hotel. Spacious, clean, well-lit with everything to make your stay comfortable. And anything that you need or forgot is only a phone call away.
In summation, if all Wyndham's are as nice as Oceanside, we've found a new home away from home. You will too!

2 Thank William A
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Hello William!

I love your review! You summed up your entire experience expertly!! Did you get a chance to take part in any of our on-site activities? If not, perhaps on your next trip to Oceanside, you can enjoy one of the many offerings we have from DIY (Do it yourself) classes to socials to crafts and many more offerings for all ages! The Harbor, just a mile north of us also boasts many things for the family from eating to shopping to playing in and on the water.

Thank you for sharing your experience and what you enjoyed the most! We look forward to seeing you soon!

Happy Travels!

San Clemente, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

We had water damage in our house a few months back and needed to have our entire downstairs flooring replaced. We didn't want to stay in the house while the old flooring was being ripped up, so we needed a place close by to stay. I thought of the Wyndham because it has a beautiful location and has large suites with kitchens and living rooms. We stayed there for a week and it was perfect. Large, clean, nicely furnished rooms with all the amenities needed for a family of 4. They have daily activities for kids that are really cool. The staff was so nice and helpful. Although we weren't technically on vacation, it felt like we were. We will definitely go back for a summer getaway.

Room Tip: Request a room on opposite side of train tracks.
1 Thank Michele J
Hello Michele!

I am pleased to hear you selected us as your home away from home during your reflooring project and that you and your family enjoyed it so much! I hope you had the opportunity to visit the 7th floor Sky Lounge to take in the beautiful panoramic views of the coast! One of my favorite places on property.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back for an official family getaway!

Renton, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

We are Wyndham owners and periodically they will invite owners to a "party weekend" Well, it wasn't a weekend and not really a party, but we really enjoyed our stay at this resort. I believe that the thing that sealed the deal for us was we were promised "no sales pitch." The itinerary was three nights and four days at the resort that included a first night welcome dinner with the other invited guests, a tour of the Carlsbad Flower Fields on the second day and dinner at 333 Restaurant, and breakfast on the third day with about half the other members to tell "best vacation stories."

The resort was spotlessly clean. We had an ocean view 2 bedroom suite on the 4th floor of the north tower, and although a little compact we did not feel crowded with ourselves, and our daughter and her husband and our granddaughter. There's plenty of secure free parking under the hotel. There's a nice heated swimming pool and hot tub on the second floor and an exercise room. Best of all they were true to their promise and throughout the organized activities there was no hint of a sales presentation or offer for one.

The location is nothing short of ideal, about 30 miles north of San Diego, right on the ocean across the street from Oceanside pier. On Thursdays they close off a couple of streets in downtown Oceanside (short walk from resort) for a Farmer's Market in the morning and in the evening even more streets are closed and it becomes the Sunset Market with the addition of lots of food vendors. A wonderful variety of choices of all imaginable ethnic cuisines -- making any choice difficult. The resort is also located close to Carlsbad, CA where LegoLand is located.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have an ocean view, either to the north or the south, the rooms with the southern e...
Green Features: They use water-saving plumbing fixtures, and have separate containers for recycling.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Hello Mr. Lee!

What a great recap of your stay with us! I'm pleased to learn that you were able to truly enjoy yourself while attending the Party Weekend event hosted by Wyndham, and more importantly they met your expectations. You highlighted two very popular events that are held weekly in downtown Oceanside, our morning Farmers Market and our evening Sunset Market. The evening market, offering live entertainment and foods from everywhere draws thousands of people each week! I hope you had a chance to also visit the Harbor, just a mile north of us. It's a great little place to catch a day trip for fishing or whale watching, or just rent some kayaks or stand up paddle boards, a great day for the entire family.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope you have the opportunity to return for another family getaway!

Penn Laird, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed this past weekend and had a great time. The team at Oceanside were GREAT hosts and sponsored several time for social meet/greets. The location is fantastic to enjoy the ocean -- whether walking the pier, surfing or simply placing toes in the water. We enjoyed the Fields of Flowers event and the vintage auto event over the weekend.

Room Tip: We had a room on 7th floor and corner suite. Good view of the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Hello!! What a great way to start the day, appreciate such positive comments! I'm pleased to read that you were able to take advantage of the many great activities and events that the resort and community have to offer! Spring kicks of many great events that take place throughout the city and community for the rest of the year with something for everyone nearly every weekend. Visitoceanside.org is a great tool to plan your next trip!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Wyndham, we look forward to welcoming you as our guest again!