“Great hotel -But....”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Burlington, Canada
“Great hotel -But....”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Good hotel, great proximity to a number of amenities. We had an Oceanside deluxe suite and were very aware of the warning about the train noise. What I didn't account for was the noise from the garbage trucks between 6 and 7 am 6 of 7 days...this was more disruptive than the trains. Across my balcony I could see Homeless people sleeping on benches in plain view across the street. I get it, it's a public beach. Also,
gangs hanging around likley due to July 4 th. Drugs being consumed which was in plain view. A fight broke out right in front of me, I chose to go back into my room. The hotel is nice, close to everything, some amenities to get you started which was great. I was also bothered by timeshare twice after checkin despite telling them I am already an RCI member..I was a little more annoyed the 2 nd time.

We planned to view the fireworks for july 4 th on the 7 th floor only to find it to be very crowded. I can understand that, but all of the furniture was moved outside and families piled on top of one another totally blocking the doorways, should not be allowed.

I worked several years in hotels, this is a nice facility, if your ready to put up with the noise, then, it's worth it...pros and cons like everything else.

If you want quiet....totally not your choice.

Room Tip: I had a 2 room Deluxe oceanside. Train noise was loud, garbage trucks that came to clear the large b...
Green Features: Many green initiaves which is good to see. Recycling and garbage areas easy to use.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank John S
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Hello John and thank you for your review! Summer time is quite hectic in and outside of the resort. Oceanside is a major transportation hub with the train and bus station just two blocks away serving 4 commuter trains as well as several freight lines. That being said, many people use this station as their stopping ground before LA or San Diego. Not to mention, it's the beach with a great pier, an attractive combination for so many.

If you enjoy the area but less people, I would recommend September / October as well as the Spring time, my favorite time around here. The weather is beautiful and the crowds are gone, leaving the beaches to those lucky enough to be here.

I hope you have the opportunity to return, perhaps during a "slower" season when the weather is still great!

Happy travels,

760.901.1200

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We booked a 2 bedroom condo in Oceanside just so we could walk out onto the beach. For that reason, it was fabulous. The layout of the place was nice, the kitchen was fully stocked with appliances and utensils, and the rooms were clean and well kept. I do have to say that the high pressure "invitation to breakfast" is very UN-appealing. At check-in I inquired about having an ocean view and was told that those privileges were strictly for owners. Oh well, I move on across the lobby to obtain my parking permit. This is when I am nearly strangled into accepting a breakfast invitation that will only take about 90 minutes (right!!).... When I explained that we were owners elsewhere and NOT interested in another timeshare, that did not seem to have an impact. We were re-invited twice the next day and even awakened by the phone call that night. While the train noise is not the resort's fault, it is hard to ignore in that it is pretty constant. The upside is that you do get used to the sounds and most of the time you will likely not be in your room hearing it. Resort charges for beach chair/umbrella rentals which seems a bit much considering the room rates.

Room Tip: My tip for this facility is to be firm - RIGHT AWAY - about whether or not you are interested in bec...
1 Thank ShickaBoo
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Thank you Kim, appreciate your review!

I'm hopeful that you were able to enjoy some of the highlights of the resort and community - the Sky Lounge on the 7th floor has stunning views of the coast line and is available to all guests to enjoy! Just bring your own refreshments, sit back and relax! Within walking distance there are several shops, restaurants, a surf museum and art gallery. Just a mile North of us is the Harbor, a great place to enjoy some water sports!

We hope that you will return for a family getaway again! Yes, most likely you will be invited to learn more about timeshare. I'll certainly share your concerns about the frequency of invitation and being woken up with the marketing manager.

Enjoy your summer!

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I chose this property because of its location and I was very happy with it. It is noisy but I actually love the noise of the train so this was not a problem. Staff was friendly, parking was great, room was quite nice and large. The only issues for me were that I was near the pool and the corridors were busy and noisy. I think this May be better for families. Also, this property is very geared to being a time share and they are somewhat pushy about this initially.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank tfestate
Hello and thanks for posting your feedback! You are right, we are a timeshare resort, with the majority of our rooms being timeshare units. We do have about 25% of our rooms dedicated to public rental only (an agreement with the City of Oceanside). All guests will be invited to learn more about the Wyndham Vacation Ownership products, perhaps one day you might be interested.

If you are flexible with your travel plans and can make it for a long weekend getaway, I would strongly recommend visiting our resort in September / October. The crowds are gone, kids are back in school, and the weather is beautiful, my favorite time of year around here!

We look forward to welcoming you as our guest again one day!

Enjoy your summer!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My wife and I spent a few nights here in June and really enjoyed ourselves. The only really negative (as the other reviewers have mentioned) is the noise of the trains. And there are a lot of trains. And the tracks are right behind the hotel. And the crossing, where they all have to blow their horns, is right there too. There is a large bowl of ear plugs on the check in desk. Help yourself.

Noise not withstanding, this is a very beautiful resort. And super convenient - walk out the one side to the beach and pier. Walk out the other side to a tunnel under the tracks to trendy, downtown Oceanside. A nice pool on the second floor, looking out to the ocean. There are really nice lounges on the 7th (top) floor of each tower - don't miss them. Comfortable chairs inside and out and great views up and down the beach. Location is perfect.

On Thursday's they have a farmer's market in the morning and a street fair in the evening. I don't think I have ever seen such a wide variety of ethnic food stands - if you can't find something here you like, I'm sorry (we hit the New Zealand stand). Don't miss this if you are in town on Thursday. And only a long block from the resort.

This is a combination timeshare and hotel. All of the hotel rooms are small and on the east (train track side) of the building. During the busy season, they also open up some of the two bedroom timeshare suites for hotel visitors.

There are two towers - the North tower is definitely the better of the two. We were in the South tower, which in addition to more train noise, also gets the street and parking lot noise. The room had a small balcony with a nice ocean view. There are a handful of ocean front units.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Yes, the timeshare "parking pass" people can be a pain, but, if you are not interested, just stand up and say so. We did talk to several people who finally caved in for a sales presentation because the marketing people phoned them daily to bug them, but stand your ground (or go to the presentation and take the gifts). This is pretty much the standard approach at any timeshare facility, so if it bothers you, go to a regular hotel.

Beautiful facility. Super convenient location. Nice staff. Just make believe that you are on a train vacation and enjoy the sounds of the horns...

Room Tip: North Tower for sure. And get some ear plugs at the front desk.
Green Features: The do recycle items - love that when a hotel does that.
1 Thank DougAndRobyn
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you Doug, I don't think I could have written a better description myself! You nailed each "concern". I appreciate your style and candor. If you didn't get a chance to visit the Harbor, just a mile North of us, I hope you can fit that into your schedule next time! It's another little gem in Oceanside, expansive beaches, often hosting surfing contests, water craft rentals including jet skis, boats, paddle boards and kayaks. Plenty of restaurants and shops as well!

We look forward to your next visit to Oceanside Pier Resort!

Enjoy the summer!

Duarte, California
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My family and I stayed here for 2 nights, and it certainly did not disappoint. Room was clean, stocked properly, and in good order. This was our third time staying here. Pool was warm and clean. Overall, a very comfortable stay. This is about as close to the beach that you can get in Oceanside. We would recommend this location and come back.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Good Morning!

Thanks for your review! We are pleased to have you as our return guest! Not only are we close to the beach, we are only a mile from the harbor, so many fun things to do there! (By the way, mother nature has taken quite a bit of our sand, so for new gusts, I recommend the beach on the north side of the pier). I hope you make the short trip to the harbor during your visit with us!

We look forward to having you as our guest again!

Happy Summer!

San Jose, California
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I had mixed feelings about this resort. I was looking for a place on the beach. This resort fit the bill - excellent location. However my first two days were not great. It seems like a lot of guests break the rules and I spent a lot of time at the front desk complaining. The first was a lady showing me her cute doggie as I was going to the room. I thought that was odd so I went to the front desk and asked. The receptionist said it must have been a service dog. I don't think so. The second incident, I was awoken at 1am by the smell of marijuana smoke permeating in my room. Security came over after a while and verified. So I asked for another room. I had to carry all my stuff from my room to the other without any assistance... Pretty pathetic. Later, one of the staff made a comment that you wouldn't want to live in Colorado.

After that moved I crossed my fingers hoping for the best for my remaining five days. It turned out fine. You just have to get used to loud noise not from the nearby train but the guests. They think no one is listening to them as they scream and play with their kids in the hallway. I had earplugs that they provided. They didn't work. But I had headphones and just listen to soothing music.

Other nice amenities was the gym. It was well maintained. There was a lovey pool with a view of the gorgeous ocean. The nearby downtown is right there and I tried out several restaurants. There is a train station just two blocks away so you can take it to San Diego if you want to visit the city or catch a connecting train to Mexico.

Checkout was easy and non eventful. Just the way I liked it.

Room Tip: Bring your own ear plugs.
Green Features: Good in this area. I think they recycle. I didn't notice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank raulofca
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Good Morning and thank you for your post!

I'm sorry to hear we fell short on our service. I will certainly share this with our associates, we want every guest to enjoy their time with us and not be inconvenienced. I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy the remaining days. We certainly hope that you give us another try in the future.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 19 June 2014

the noise of the train is constant morning noon and night. If you can sleep through anything then this property is for you. Its location is great. View is wonderful. there is lots of fishing off the pier and nice restaurant Not the best beach for swimming, but lots of surfing going on.

2 Thank Nina T
Hello Nina, thank you for your post! We have seen some pretty significant erosion of our beaches over the last few years, mother nature has taken her toll. A short walk north of the resort, the beach is less rocky and more expansive. Another great place to go is the Harbor, a mile north of us. A great place to enjoy some water sports and much larger beach for those who are interested.

Enjoy the rest of your summer; we hope that you return in the future.