“Ruined Trip and Waste of Money”

Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort
Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Ruined Trip and Waste of Money”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

THE TRAIN RUNS RIGHT OUTSIDE THE WINDOWS. This isn't disclosed on their website and they actually give you earplugs, but it's still loud. Worst hotel I have stayed in. No in-house restaurants or places to eat. Tried to get a drink out of the vending machine on the 3rd floor, but it's broken. Hard to find the temp control - hint, it's hidden behind either a plant or a light shade. I got there after a long day and wanted to eat and relax. I had to go off property again to get food and the TV remote didn't work so I told the front desk on my way out. Took almost an hour later to have someone come change the batteries on the remote. No water pressure in the shower. The walls are thin, so I was woken up by a screaming baby a few times in addition to the loud train (which is probably what was waking up the baby). It looks like it would be nice since it's right on the pier, but I would never stay here again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank AlohaGirl86
Cherie O, Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Hello and thank you for your review. I am truly sorry we did not meet your expectation of relaxation. We are very sensitive to the trains as it is our number one concern and we do work with the many sites that guests can book through to ensure the trains are mentioned. I will share your email with them so another review of the sites can be done.

Should you enjoy the location, may I recommend considering an upgrade to a 1 bedroom unit. While the sounds of the trains can be heard throughout the property, especially with the windows open, those units on the interior of the building are somewhat buffered.

Thank you again for your time and sharing your experience.

760-901-1200

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Decatur, Texas
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I actually really like the Wyndham resort in Oceanside. The rooms are VERY nice, the beds are comfortable, great fitness center, nice pool/spa, etc. However, this year we had a room at the end of the south tower and learned the hard way that the train tracks are busy throughout the night. State law requires that every train sound their horn at EVERY INTERSECTION, and these horns were loud enough to penetrate earplugs + white noise machine + portable electric fan right next to the bed. These were some of the most miserable nights in my life and I will NOT go back unless they can guarantee a train-free room.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the train tracks on extreme north/sound end or entire east side.
Green Features: Recycling bins are provided near the elevator, but they could do better by including separate bins in the rooms.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Matthew A
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your candid response! You are right, trains do travel through the area, and next to the resort, 24/7. With the intersection a block and half away, we do hear them loud and clear. It is important to note for all others, trains can be heard throughout the property, the loudest being on the east side. While I can't guarantee a room without train sounds (if you leave your windows open regardless of where your room is located, you will definitely hear the trains), I can recommend a 1 bedroom unit (all being located on the interior section of the building), or perhaps a request of the interior, if in a 2 bedroom unit. We do our best to accommodate requests, however being a high demand resort, it can be a challenge at times.

For those who haven't stayed at the resort, we have many guests who stay on the east side and comment that the trains don't bother them (many with kids ask for the train views), again it's very subjective.

We are in a great location, fantastic views, great service and with the train tacks running along the southern California coast, most resorts nearest intersections have the same experience.

Please do give us another try, be sure to book a 1 or 2 bedroom unit and call the resort to make your request .

We hope to see you again,

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

760-901-1200
Poipu, Hawaii
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Very disappointed in this hotel.
All the studios are right next to the train and the train noise is very loud and the noise is all night! I spoke to Rachel at the front desk to try to change the room but she was very snippy and rude! The room could not be changed. I offered to pay more for a better room but none were available. I was informed that the hotel does disclose the horrific train noise on their website. I did not see it when I booked the hotel. This warning should be much more visible as the horrific noise runs into the wee hours!!! This hotel definitely lacks customer service. Worst hotel experience ever!!!

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Iizzykauai
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you Lizzy for taking the time to share your experience! I do apologize for the level of service you received, certainly not what I would want to see delivered nor what we strive for. We are very sensitive to the trains and the noise they make, yes the intersection is a block from the property and the sounds can be heard throughout the property. The studio units / hotel rooms are all on the east side and are closest to the intersection. We work with our website partners to make the train concerns known. With so many websites that host our property, it can be a challenge to keep them all up to date with the same information.

Should you choose to return to Oceanside and give us another try, I would recommend upgrading to a 1 bedroom unit. Those are located on the interior of the property and the sounds are somewhat buffered, but again, can be heard throughout the property.

Thank you once again for your time and comments.

Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

This was the best hotel/resort I have ever stayed. Extremely clean very comfortable beds and they have an awesome restaurant as well. The resort staff were very nice and attentive at all times. Already planning to return next summer...Wow!! Wow!! Wow!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Stewart T
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Good Morning Stewart! So glad to start my day with your review! Appreciate you taking the time to share your "WOW" experience, that's what we aim for.

I'm hopeful you were able to take advantage of the many fun things to do in the area from the beach, of course, to the California Surf Museum and the Harbor just to the North of us. If you need some help with planning your next trip here, please feel free to contact the resort or check out visitoceanside.org website for a list of all the great things Oceanside has to offer!

Looking forward to your return visit!

Burlington, New Jersey
Reviewed 23 July 2014

We spent a week in California. First time being there for a vacation. San Francisco to Oceanside going down the PCH.
On the way to the resort,we stopped in Santa Monica, where my wife slipped off a curb and broke her foot. After being released from med care, we traveled down to Oceanside.
The staff was very friendly and accommodating to all my wife's needs. The room was clean, well maintained, and had maid service every day.
The resort had plenty to do, the pool was OK, the library/sitting room is a great place to have your morning coffee while watching the surfers. The location next to the ocean was a real plus. Easy access to Rt 5 (we did go to Disneyland with a wheelchair). 1 block away from a Regal Theater (good when you have a broken foot) and quite a few restaurants.
Only downside was all the restaurants around the resort closes at 9p. Not so good when you go to a 7p movie and looking for a dinner afterwards.
I would definitely come back next time we come to California. Hopefully in the not to distant future.

1 Thank Phil B
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Hello Phil!

It's great to hear your wife's unfortunate accident did not deter your vacation plans! Certainly makes for life long memories! Thanks so much for sharing your experience of your coastal trip and highlighting your stay in Oceanside. It's great to hear you were able to enjoy many of the amenities on site and around town. ( I agree, the shops do close a tad early.) I hope youhad a chance to visit the Harbor, just a mile north of us. If not this time, be sure to stop by next time, a great place to dine, shop and enjoy some water activities.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our family had a very pleasant vacation at this wonderful beach resort in So Cal. This was the 2nd time we stayed here and we loved the location, the friendly helpful staff, the fully equipped, comfortable condo, the pool, fitness room, etc.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the ocean/beach.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Cherie O, General Manager at Wyndham Oceanside Pier Resort, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hello and thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear that you and your family had such a pleasant experience! We look forward to welcoming you and your family again in the future.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts!

Moreno Valley, California
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Loved how close it was to the pier and the ocean. Staff & service was excellent. Pool is smaller than we expected but was still lovely. The 2 bedroom condos were well stocked and had everything we would have needed and more! Will definitely be the only place we stay at.

3 Thank Joyce P
Hello!

I'm always pleased to hear guests say they can't wait to return and it's better when you share it's the only place you will stay at! We are grateful for your time and posting your experience at the resort. When planning your next visit, please feel free to call the resort with any questions about what's fun to do at the resort (like any new activities) or around the area!