“Not Sure How to Rate This Place...”

Oceanside Inn & Suites
Ranked #27 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
Los Angeles
“Not Sure How to Rate This Place...”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I wasn't sure whether to give this two stars or three. It has been a while since I stayed at a budget motel, and I want to fairly compare it to other accomodations in the same price range.

This was pretty much the least expensive motel available. We took two rooms for four people: A room and a "suite". The guy who checked us in was a bit of a character. We asked for two keys to each room and he couldn't or wouldn't give us two keys. In fact, he seemed reluctant to give us one key and kept saying he would let us in. However, he did give us one key to each room and even volunteered to show us the rooms before we checked in. We paid $80 for the room and $90 for the "suite".

I was staying in the "suite". It had two double beds with a divider between them and a separate area with a sofa. The sofa was a convertible bed but we did not have anyone sleep on it. On the positive side, the room was freshly painted, and the vinyl floor in the bathroom was newish. The drapes also seemed fairly new although one had an odd stain near the bottom. There was also a kitchen with a small fridge that worked well and a stove which we did not use. The bedspreads appeared clean and were in good shape, as did the sheets and pillows. My bed was comfortable. There was an in wall air conditioner which worked well. On the negative side, all of the tables, headboards, etc were really beat up looking. One of the bedside tables was missing a door. The kitchen cabinets had some graffiti on the inside. One of our window screens was missing and another was torn. Also there were a few odd things about the room layout. For example the rod to hang your clothes was over the TV (which was large but we never turned on).

All in all, it was okay, and we slept well, even though it is not located in a quiet neighborhood. However, in the morning there was a problem with the plumbing. My brother in law was finishing his shower in the other room, when some black sludge starting coming up from the drain. I didn't even try to shower in our room. I don't know if they have lots of plumbing issues or if this was an isolated incident, and I will say that the manager apologized for the problem when I turned in my key, even though I had never personally complained about it.

We were visiting family in the area and this was pretty much the cheapest motel nearby. I felt the management was trying, but this place does have some issues.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LosAngelesTripTaker
oceansideinnca, Webmaster at Oceanside Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thanks for staying with us and we appreciate the time taken to write the review.

We have checked each of the points mentioned in the lengthy review.

Nevertheless we have taken each of the responsible department to task to ensure that
there is no second chance to have any negative comment.

We hope you would appreciate our efforts and do visit us to confirm this.

You will find your next stay a really nice experience.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 8 June 2012 via mobile

We found this hotel through a coupon book. The manager was kind and happy to have our business, even though that within an hour of our arrival there was no more vacancy.

Our room door was wide open when we brought our things in (but that was okay, so were the windows), it smelled as if the carpet had just been cleaned, when I took off my sandals, it felt like it was almost done drying.

The amenities (fast internet, refridgerator, freezer, rusty microwave, large cable tv, in-room table) add great value to the place, without them and the landscaping, my rating would have been only 2 stars.

The curtains need to be propped close for privacy and we were having trouble getting one of the outlets to work. The place, however, was pretty clean as well as spacious with closet space, which also is a plus.

We found some great restaurants nearby, heard some road noise and train noise, but also had easy access to the freeway.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank PIT1pet2
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed there one night, June 6-7, 2012. Very old and in need of upgrade. Fairly quiet on a Sunday evening. Need new towels, sheets and TV's. Everything very old and worn out.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank sniperman
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your stay with us and your review.

We appreciate your observations and have taken positive steps to all of them.

In fact, we are considering a total renovation to the property at the earliest.

We take the reviews quite seriously and would like to see you again!

Hotel Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Oceanside hotels

San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 8 May 2012

i would not have my gog stay here it is so bad. We walked in the room carpets were wet from cleaning and took my shoes off and my feet got black from the dirt. the toilet did not work right sink did not drain shower dripped. The transient in the next room had his Tv so loud We could nto sleep. The manager owners are just rude and said We could cancel and elave and would credit our redit card back and then charged a $100 cancellation fee and refuse to honor their word. Transients and homelss frequent this motel and the rooms are run down and old

Room Tip: keep looking for $10 more a night We moved to extended sty america and it is a 1000 times better
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave M
Esteemed Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Oceanside Inn during your recent visit to our area.

We also appreciate your review and observations.

We have investigated the happening and taken the appropriate steps to improve everything which you have mentioned in it.

We have taken all the steps to ensure that our guests get the best services and hospitality during their stay.

We invite you once again to choose our hotel again and feel the new experience of hospitality.

Oceanside, California
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Need a room in Oceanside stay here great value friendly service. They are always updating this hotel. They have several different room plans and they work to meet all your needs. I have stayed here over 10 times and will continue to as well.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank David D
Winston, OR
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We booked this hotel through a coupon book, it was advertised to be luxourious and to have a free breakfast. Well, it was far from luxourious, in fact it was probably the oldest and most outdated motel I have ever been in. We were given a room with two seperate beds and a hideabed, which was fine, and the room was clean, but we felt as if we had stepped into a 1940's bad movie scene, my young grandson asked if this was a "killing room". And besides not having any kind of breakfast, continental or otherwise, the office was not even open at 9 in the morning for coffee, had to go across the street to 7-11 for coffee. I just learned you cannot believe everything in the coupon books, will do more investigating next time I book a room.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ronsheila
Esteemed Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Knights Inn during your recent visit to our area.

We also appreciate your review and observations.

We plan to totally renovate the property very soon and the point related to breakfast also is being taken care of.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Upon arriving at the property I was a little hesitant, but once I was greeted by the owner I was shocked at the value I got for the price. Each room was like a lil' apartment. No walking through hallways to get to my room. I could park RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY DOOR. I could walk across the street to get food, and THE BEST PART..I COULD WALK TO THE BEACH!

The owner is always on the property so he cares about his property and keeps up the rooms, landscaping etc...I was impressed!

Don't just drive by, go in, ask for the owner and he will make you feel right at home!

Room Tip: Ask for the owner (he should be there)
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo