“Basic "retro" motel that could use tons of refreshing. Just not for me! (Rodeway Inn)”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
Montreal
Reviewed 12 October 2011

This is now the Rodeway Inn. Slept there 2 nights and pretty much a minute after setting foot in my room I just wanted to yell "Yes, but I am NOT a prostitute... why oh why?!". As one reviewer put it, it is one of those establishments that few would confuse with the Ritz. I didn't expect Ritz or even Holiday Inn quality and was still sourly disappointed. Room looked very damp and dark (dark carpets, dark green metal entrance doors) with cheap Dollar store quality sheets, old lamps and one of the oldest telephones I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure the microwave and phone could be sold as antiques. A vague smel of cigarette and urine.
I stayed in a few hotels in my life, I'm not usually very difficuly but this is definitely the worst place I slept at. Not that it had any one terrible thing about it; overall it just looked run down, old, dirty and disgusting; a place you could spend an hour in if you had to, but a whole night, ouch! So much so that I was really ashamed to have a friend over in my room for fear of them questioning my moral reputation.
I had room 109 which is the leftmost unit of the rooms that overlooks the bikepath. It is extremely close to the highway, bridge and train tracks which make sleeping at night very difficult. Windows definitely let in all the traffic noise. Waking up in the morning, I felt disgusting (damp, dark room) almost as if I was waking up from a bad hungover.
Room has a balcony which is fenced but shared with other guests (no privacy). The views of the ocean (sunsets) are wonderful.
Breakfast is a joke so please don't factor this in in your choice: orange juice, coffee, a few small muffins, commercial cereal. That's IT! I didn't even bother going there the second day for I would probably spend more energy walking to the meal area than I would get from their junk food. I chose this place over the Motel 6 (which had good reviews) just for their breakfast. Big mistake... orange juice and muffins, seriously?
Overall, a very poor value. Paid the same nightly rate for this dump as my downtown San Diego hotel (long stay rate)... yes, same rate for Oceanside motel as San Diego downtown hotel!
Room service was done by Mexican ladies who could not speak English. On my last days, hours before my check out time, maid knocked on my door and started to ask something in Spanish. 5 minutes into her jebrish I realized she wanted me to give her my used towels, so I did.

PROS: Nice sunset views, reliable complimentary high speed internet, relatively close to the beach and downtown Oceanside.

CONS: Sleazy, run down and noisy room, need some serious refreshing and upgrading, no breakfast. This is really a motel you should never pay more than 30$ for.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank WAW-YMX-YUL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
California
Reviewed 4 March 2011

The best part of this hotel was the location, and even that is not worth the stay. I thought it was a great deal but jeez I was wrong. I recommend ANY other motel in the area, and there are plenty of them. I pre paid for 2 nights, and when I got there the room was seriously disgusting. It smelled like urine. There were sketchy people walking around the building. I tried to get my money back but they wouldn’t give it back. I thought the staff was rude, and I was being as polite as possible about how disappointed I was in the room. They were unwilling to make any adjustments, I asked them to give me another room and they refused. I didn’t even stay there; I went to another place down the road paid extra for another room. I should have called my credit card company and complained but regardless, too much time has passed now but I will never forget how terrible the service and the room was. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Amnsun

Travellers are raving about these Oceanside hotels

Oceanside, California
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Upon our check-in the staff was very accommodating. While this is an older hotel, our room was clean and spacious as well as reasonably priced. They offered a complimentary breakfast, however it was sparse offering little more than cereal and juice. This is a decent place to stay but be aware it is a no frills motel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
san francisco ca
Reviewed 9 October 2010

I was looking for an inexpensive motel in Oceanside, and found that many of the budget motels were charging about $100 in August 2010. I was able to secure a much, much lower rate for Guesthouse Inn & Suites. It is one of those establishments that few would confuse with the Ritz, but it was acceptable for three nights. This motel is somewhat down at the heels; the bathroom definitely was in dire need of a remodel as the wallpaper was starting to peel off and the tub needed refinishing. There is a restaurant on site and a small pool but no hot tub. It is located in an area of cheap motels though some of the others are overpriced. There is a Carrow's across the street. I was surprised there was no free internet computer in the lobby, however, and the free breakfast was extremely basic.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank grace1959
Pequannock, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 September 2010

I live in New Jersey and needed a place to stay last minute to see my fiance who's stationed at Pendleton. The only good thing about this hotel was its location and that is IT! I am not the high maintenance type but this place was wretched. I did not see bugs or anything like that but there was mold in the shower and on the ceiling of the bathroom. There was also hair in the shower from the person before. The closet door was broken off, the wallpaper was peeling off the wall, and it just reeked off mold. I hated it there. Thankfully I only had to endure that place for 2 nights. Don't waste your money. It's gross.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank marinewife1234
santa maria
Reviewed 1 August 2010

We stayed 5 nights at this hotel for a bowling tournament. First night our room had a giant cockroach crawling on the wall. Husband tried to kill it twice but unable to catch the bug. Called front office and got our room switch at 10 at night. Hotel management, after some negotiating, gave us the room for free that night. All and all would not stay there again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank gonzomom
Tucson AZ
Reviewed 3 May 2010

At first the hallway is kinda gross. The wallpaper is stained, it's dark, it smells damp, kinda dumpy. We stayed in rm 136, which had the great advantage of access via the pool area versus walking thru the hallway. Also the view of the ocean and harbor is pretty cool. When we would leave the rm in the morning we would make sure to leave the curtains open and the room would be nice and warm when we returned and we would be greeted by the sun setting at the ocean's horizon. Very nice. The room is also very big and the windows create almost a wall of glass. The not so nice aspects are that the details are ignored. The blankets have seen better days, the apholstery on chairs is dusty as is the carpet, the bathroom shower tile is cracked as is the wallpaper covered plaster in the bathroom, the ceiling in bathroom at shower is water damaged, the tub has nonslip stickers that have turned brown with use, the curtains in room are really dirty. But the really good includes the size of room, the view, the shower head is awesome (lots of water pressure with adjustable spray, its a Niagra Massage shower head, I'm getting one!), towels are clean and you get alot of them, NO bedbugs, NO roaches, free coffee and some breakfast goodies in the morning, great location (ideal location if travel plans include visits to L.A. and San Diego). Overall I would definitely stay again and wear my flip flops while I shower.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple