“Great improvement”
Review of Rodeway Inn

Rodeway Inn
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Stayed here a few years ago and was very disabppointed. Stayed on November 15th and was very impressed. Rooms have been upgraded. Great Staff, As always they are very supportive of 1st Marine Division events.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Sgtusmc67

Reviewed 4 August 2012

The room was clean and large but the amenities were old. My son was running in a trail race the next morning so we only stayed one night and it was the closest hotel to the race site we could find. The elevator was very small and we rode with a few very nice English men who smelled like they closed a bar down. The one thing that bothered me is that our toilet was not flushing correctly. When I called the front desk, someone came up and handed my son a plunger and left. Really? (What would Anthony Melchiorri say about that?) We tried the plunger and it wouldn't work anyway so I called the front desk again and they sent someone to fix it. This hotel is a one night stay only. I would be depressed if we'd stayed here our full vacation time.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank NoBeachInOK
Reviewed 21 May 2012

This place was clean, but when I called Choice Hotels to make a reservation they gave me a terrible run around. The Choice Hotel Reservations would not honor the internet rate for seniors. They said the internet rate was for one person not two. When we got to the hotel we got the stated internet rate from the manager. I subsequently learned that Choice Hotels out sourced their reservations to some place in India. They don't have any idea where in the world you are and they only care about charging you as much as they can get.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Willie C
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband had booked a non-refundable reservation at the Roadway Inn in Oceanside CA. Unfortunately after reading some unfavorable reviews I was greatly alarmed. I even brought a black light to check for stains in the rooms and beds. To my surprise there were no stains on anything and the rooms didn’t smell of urine, cigarettes, etc. I couldn’t have been more pleasantly surprised. We stayed for 4 nights and on the second night had to be moved to another wing, but only because the Wi Fi wasn’t working in our wing. We stayed in room 106 the first night and room 235 the last three nights, but had looked at a total of 4 rooms. Mattress's leave a bit to be desired (in other words there not pillow top, but then didn't pay for that), but still was able to sleep. All rooms had the same hotel style bedspreads and Choice hotel bath towels. Sheets were fine as well. Rooms came with a microwave and refrigerator; though somewhat dated they served their purpose. Some rooms had newer flat screen T.V’s and some had the older style ones. Carpet in the rooms varied in color and pattern, but as stated had no stains using the black light. Rooms were simple basic vanilla but walls appeared freshly cared for and the bathrooms though dated had fresh caulking and there was no mold. In addition the bathrooms had a blow dryer. Room 235 has an awesome ocean view and is a very large room. Rooms were very clean and the housekeepers and front desk couldn't have been nicer. Room 106 was just fine, but no view and a bit smaller with an older style T.V. You are about a 10 minute walk to the beach and can also walk to the heart of the downtown in about 10 minutes. We would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family and if we return to Oceanside would hope to stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back with an ocean view are quite nice.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sheri J
Reviewed 20 March 2012

This was my first stay at Rodeway Inn in Oceanside,CA and I was surprised of the good price we got hotel stay for weekend and our room was very clean and updated room because It had a very nice flat screen,nice furniture,clean bathroom, and bed sheets clean. Location was good not too far from beach and close to resturants.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 12 October 2011

This is now the Rodeway Inn. Slept there 2 nights and pretty much a minute after setting foot in my room I just wanted to yell "Yes, but I am NOT a prostitute... why oh why?!". As one reviewer put it, it is one of those establishments that few would confuse with the Ritz. I didn't expect Ritz or even Holiday Inn quality and was still sourly disappointed. Room looked very damp and dark (dark carpets, dark green metal entrance doors) with cheap Dollar store quality sheets, old lamps and one of the oldest telephones I've ever seen. I'm pretty sure the microwave and phone could be sold as antiques. A vague smel of cigarette and urine.
I stayed in a few hotels in my life, I'm not usually very difficuly but this is definitely the worst place I slept at. Not that it had any one terrible thing about it; overall it just looked run down, old, dirty and disgusting; a place you could spend an hour in if you had to, but a whole night, ouch! So much so that I was really ashamed to have a friend over in my room for fear of them questioning my moral reputation.
I had room 109 which is the leftmost unit of the rooms that overlooks the bikepath. It is extremely close to the highway, bridge and train tracks which make sleeping at night very difficult. Windows definitely let in all the traffic noise. Waking up in the morning, I felt disgusting (damp, dark room) almost as if I was waking up from a bad hungover.
Room has a balcony which is fenced but shared with other guests (no privacy). The views of the ocean (sunsets) are wonderful.
Breakfast is a joke so please don't factor this in in your choice: orange juice, coffee, a few small muffins, commercial cereal. That's IT! I didn't even bother going there the second day for I would probably spend more energy walking to the meal area than I would get from their junk food. I chose this place over the Motel 6 (which had good reviews) just for their breakfast. Big mistake... orange juice and muffins, seriously?
Overall, a very poor value. Paid the same nightly rate for this dump as my downtown San Diego hotel (long stay rate)... yes, same rate for Oceanside motel as San Diego downtown hotel!
Room service was done by Mexican ladies who could not speak English. On my last days, hours before my check out time, maid knocked on my door and started to ask something in Spanish. 5 minutes into her jebrish I realized she wanted me to give her my used towels, so I did.

PROS: Nice sunset views, reliable complimentary high speed internet, relatively close to the beach and downtown Oceanside.

CONS: Sleazy, run down and noisy room, need some serious refreshing and upgrading, no breakfast. This is really a motel you should never pay more than 30$ for.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank WAW-YMX-YUL
Reviewed 4 March 2011

The best part of this hotel was the location, and even that is not worth the stay. I thought it was a great deal but jeez I was wrong. I recommend ANY other motel in the area, and there are plenty of them. I pre paid for 2 nights, and when I got there the room was seriously disgusting. It smelled like urine. There were sketchy people walking around the building. I tried to get my money back but they wouldn’t give it back. I thought the staff was rude, and I was being as polite as possible about how disappointed I was in the room. They were unwilling to make any adjustments, I asked them to give me another room and they refused. I didn’t even stay there; I went to another place down the road paid extra for another room. I should have called my credit card company and complained but regardless, too much time has passed now but I will never forget how terrible the service and the room was. I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo