“Good breakfast place”
Review of Bessie's 1929 Cafe - CLOSED

Bessie's 1929 Cafe
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My friend and I ate lunch here yesterday. We had heard and read about the breakfast that is served until 3 P.M. They came out with a couple of slices of warm cinnamon bread with butter. It was very good. I had the corned beef and egg breakfast. The corned beef was very good and obviously home made. I did not care for the "biscuits" which are really just slices of bread that are battered and baked. The gravy that came with it was good, but I didn't eat it. The food is very rich and plentiful. The decor is interesting with the black and white silent film running on the wall and the old photos of the early 20th century.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Had Sunday brunch here with a group of friends and like always the food was great. I had a chicken fried steak and eggs with incredible gravy with sausages chopped in. Another of the group had the blueberry pancakes that were loaded with blueberries. Used to frequent this place when I used to ride Amtrak regularly and it was owned by an older Latino couple, but the new owners have even stepped up the pace even more. They still serve menudo and Mexican food, too.
The decor is pretty cool with antiques and they even show silent movies on one of the back walls:, this Sunday it was a Buster Keaton two reeler. I think they close up at 2PM though, so you need to get here early on Sunday.
If you like a "stick to your ribs" breakfast with no pretense and great taste this is a good start.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We wanted to eat breakfast at a place within walking distance from our hotel and found this one. Very cute, fairly small place. We were served complimentary lemon poppyseed pound cake with a side of butter. I could have just eaten this and left happy. But I did order eggs, hash browns , and maple thyme bacon. The eggs were good, hash browns ok, And the bacon. Oh my. This bacon lover was in heaven. My husband got the French toast - very pretty plate presentation with fruit, and he said it was very good. I recommend Bessie's for breakfast!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

delightfully decorated, Owner's pride. Good service, excellent food and the best carrot bread ever.
Not a big place so service is personal

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Been here several times. The staff is cheerful. Good service. And have never been disappointed in the food. Fun atmosphere. One of my favorite breakfast places in Oceanside.