SpringHill Suites San Diego Oceanside/Downtown
Ranked #3 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Based on previous reviews, I think my expectations were set too high for this hotel. I will start with the pros: awesome location! Very close to the beach and a short drive to Legoland. Having three small children, walking to the beach easily and not being in the car too long to head to an amusement park was ideal. Next, the staff here is fantastic. Everyone was really friendly.

Cons: the elevators are a nightmare! (Full disclosure - the hotel was at max capacity and it was a weekend in the middle of the summer) There are only two in the hotel and the wait time to get on one is ridiculous. I know what you're thinking - "why didn't you just walk up the stairs instead of waiting forever?" Trust me, I tried....even with three kids and being on the top floor, I would have done it. But guess what? There is no stair access from the lobby! We walked and walked around the hotel and finally someone was nice enough to fill us in on this.

If you're not staying in a room viewing the ocean, and sadly we did not, you will probably be disappointed. I tried to upgrade upon arriving and was told they were sold out. I was more than willing to pay for the upgrade and was kicking myself for not biting the bullet when I made the reservation. The train is loud and the white noise machine they give you does nothing to help it.

Overall, a good hotel. I'd probably even stay there again if I'm in the area. However, I'd only stay in an ocean view room.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
SHSOceansideDowntown, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Oceanside/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Nicole,

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad to hear you enjoyed our downtown location with easy access to the beach and other various attractions. I apologize for the long wait times that you experienced with our elevators. During the busy summer months, with most of our guest rooms being filled with multiple guests, we have found that this does cause longer than normal wait times. We hope that you do come back and see us soon. Thank you for staying with us.

There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites San Diego Oceanside/Downtown

Reviewed 28 July 2014

the pros: free wifi, modern décor, good breakfast, nice pool area, great views, clean rooms, fridge micro, coffee maker, newer hotel. friendly staff.

the cons: arrived at 3pm. no check in before 4 pm. right on top of train tracks-- busy tracks with Amtrak and freight trains-- ran all night. LOUD., valet parking only, 24 bucks a night.. wont be back due to the trains. not worth 300 a night

Room Tip: stay in a room opposite from train tracks or go sleepless
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Sbd0512,

Thank you for feedback. I'm glad to hear you liked our breakfast and that our staff was friendly. We would like to encourage you to come back and try us out again in one of our ocean view rooms that face the opposite direction of the train and tend to be quieter. Thanks again for staying with us and we hope you visit again during your next trip to the O'side area.

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Agree good location and although close to train, if your balcony door is shut, it isn't that bad. Good breakfast and quality and although rooms were small, they were tastefully decorated in a modern motif (very European). The problem I had was with the staff - mosr (not all) valet staff were clueless and front staff not very warm or helpful. Didn't know answers to my questions, didn't have quarters for laundry and not the smartest. Overall, it was a nice hotel but not worth the price.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear MamaDico4,

I apologize that you didn't get to experience the friendly and attentive service that our staff is known for providing. We appreciate your feedback and will be sure to share it with our team for improvements. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Website says that check in is at 3. I arrived at 1:50 & the lady at the desk tells me check in isn't till 4. Gggrrr! Checkout is at noon. Your telling me there are absolutely no rooms available until 4. That alone makes me not want to come back!!! I'm sitting in the waiting area waiting to check in. Its 2:27pm. Hopefully we will be in our room in a couple of hours. I just want to add that the check in time is ridiculous when you are paying over $200 a night! I will be writing another rreview when weleave to give an update on out overall experiencee

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank myprince0501
SHSOceansideDowntown, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Oceanside/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I apologize for any inconvenience with the recent change of our check in time from 3:00 pm to 4:00 pm. We did update our website to reflect this information a few weeks ago when we made the time changes. We did just double check our website (www.Marriott.com/sanod) and have verified that it reflects the correct check in and check out times. Again though, we apologize for any inconvenience and hope you enjoy the rest of your stay with us.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

How can you not love a hotel that is directly across from the pier/beach? The rooms were huge, very modern and perfect. I loved the hotel decor. The breakfast was tasty and had lots of options. I loved your succulent wall outside the hotel. Everything was very clean and organized.

3  Thank mudhonie

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property! I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and found our rooms to be spacious and nicely decorated . We are very fortunate to be only minutes away from the beach and pier. Thank you for staying with us and please come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Marriot has hit a home run with this newly designed, six story hotel. The decor is invigorating, bright, airy, delightful. The rooms also sport a fresh design approach. You can't beat the location with the Oceanside boardwalk and beaches just one block away.

The building has rooms on all four sides, most with balconies. The full ocean views are the west side, with partials on the north and south. The only thing to be aware of, as great a location it is, the train tracks are right up against the property on the east side.

Noise from trains if a factor. The nosiest rooms are on the east side, or "city" views, with the lowest floors the nosiest, and the upper floors perhaps a little less noisy. We got a room here on-the-fly so they were mostly full, and stayed on the 5th floor, "city", aka train tracks side. It was late at night when we checked in and the check-in agent advised us of noise, not specifying what kind of noise. They demonstrated a white-noise generator at the desk, explaining theses were available in the rooms to counteract the "noise". I thought how could there be that much noise from such a small town at night? Then we found out once up in the room.

The good new is that the tracks mostly serve Amtrak, the Surfliner, and short freight trains that did not seem to run between about 12:30 AM to 6 AM.

Also good new regarding the trains, they are a great, fast, convenient and economical way to get to downtown San Diego, saving 35 miles of stressful freeway driving. The station is just one block south.

Although we could have upgraded to a partial or full ocean view away from the train view, we stayed put and got used to the "occasional" trains. I can't tell you what the noise is like on the other sides, but my guess is that it is much less than the "city" view side.

Also be advised that hotel parking is valet only at $24/day. Your only other option is an adjacent city lot with all validations expiring at midnight daily (I think it said $5/day.) So, to park overnight, you must go out past midnight to purchase another 24 hour validation from the machine.

Killer buffet, continental breakfast included. All in all, a great place to hang out.

Room Tip: Avoid east, city view, aka train, side.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank smbventures

Dear Guest,

Thank you for take the time to review our property! I’m thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us and found our decor to be invigorating and delightful. And I couldn't agree with you more – our local train station is a great asset to the community providing our guests a fast, convenient and economical way to travel. Again, thank you for staying with us and please come back and visit us soon!

Reviewed 18 July 2014

My two boys and I stayed a week at this hotel and loved it. The location is walking distance to the pier, the movie theater, restaurants you name it you can walk to it. The room was very clean and the large and made us feel right at home. We were on the backside of the hotel close to the railroad tracks so you will hear the train! We had a great stay and would highly recommend this hotel.

1  Thank PickyNewY0rker
SHSOceansideDowntown, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Diego Oceanside/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property! I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that you got to check out much of what makes Oceanside such a cool destination. Thank you for staying with us and please come back and visit us soon!

Kathleen Maola

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oceanside
Best Western Plus Oceanside Palms
Southern California Beach Club
Holiday Inn Oceanside Camp Pendleton Area
Comfort Suites Oceanside Marina
Courtyard San Diego Oceanside
Beach Terrace Inn
Beach Terrace Inn
#3 of 36 in Carlsbad

Been to SpringHill Suites San Diego Oceanside/Downtown? Share your experiences!