“Perfect hotel for a family beach vacation!”

Residence Inn San Diego Oceanside
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Perfect hotel for a family beach vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

Our family had the best experience here! Clean rooms, great breakfast, excellent service from the staff. Rosie from housekeeping kept our room immaculate, even with 4 small children. Great pool,too. Only 15 min to beautiful Oceanside beach, with inexpensive close parking and not very crowded. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2014
Scott H, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Oceanside, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for the positive comments shared from your family vacation at the Residence Inn Oceanside. We are glad that you enjoyed your experience while at the hotel. We will be sure to recognize Rosie for her efforts to keep your room clean during your stay. We look forward to serving you again when you return for a future visit to the Oceanside area.

Scott Hausknecht

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Paradise, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Our family stay that included 4 rooms was made awesome because the front desk people, Chrisna, Kira, and Christina worked very hard to make it so. Our maid Rosie was so good to us we felt she was part of the family. As a life time platinum member of Marriott I will say this was a perfect hotel to take our family. We had many age groups and all were very happy. We loved this hotel, the food, the people and the location.

Room Tip: Choose the double bedroom if you have kids
Green Features: They try hard to protect enviornment save on use of towels etc bronze award winner for its stance
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Scott H, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Oceanside, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott as a Platinum Elite member and for the kind comments about Rosie, Chrisna, Kira and Christina from your recent visit to the Oceanside Residence Inn. We will make sure to recognize everyone for their efforts. Please come visit us again the next time your travels bring you back to the Oceanside area.

Best Regards,
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

This is our third visit to this hotel in Oceanside and I am seeing that overall standard has gone down considerably. When we checked yesterday, room was not clean and noticed that breakfast is not the same any more. They dont have enough staff to manage the place. When we tried to use the pool, there were no towels and we have to wait for a long time. I really used to enjoy this place but it seems like it is not managed properly and doesnt have proper staff to run the hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Scott H, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Oceanside, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Raj,

Thank you for posting a review of your experience. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you experienced on your most recent visit. You may have seen increased activity at the hotel compared to previous visits as we are in the middle of peak summer season; however, our cleanliness and service standards have not changed. It sounds as if we were poorly staffed to handle the business levels at the hotel during the time of your stay. We have shared your comments with the Operations Team to ensure adjustments are made to avoid future inconvenience to other guests. Thank you again for sharing and allowing us to return service levels to the standards that you have come to expect from the property and Marriott. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

NH
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

if you read this and find it helpful, please click the helpful link below.
_________________________________________________________

LET ME START BY SAYING SOME KEY THINGS.

WE TRAVEL OFTEN, WE HAVE 2 ADULTS, 2 TEENS & 1 CHILD WHEN WE ARE TRAVELING, WE FREQUENT MARRIOTT HOTELS OFTEN, WE SELDOM COMPLAIN AS YOU CAN SEE BY MY REVIEWS!!!

LOCATION - The location is in the middle of Oceanside, approximately 8-10 mins from the beach in Oceanside but it is located right off the highway. AS STATED BY OTHERS, IT SHOULD NOT BE CALLED SAN DIEGO - IT IS 40+ MILES AWAY. The traffic going to and coming back from SD was pretty brutal which makes it at least an hour drive. (I think this is important). This did not deter us, I had figured out we were not close by looking it up before I booked it so I was not at all upset by this. If you are visiting California, this is a great area, the beach, the pier are awesome and for us it was a hidden gem as Oceanside is not spoken of often. Oddly enough there are 5 little restaurants right outside the hotel and they are away from everything else, apparently they get enough hotel business to keep them open. The Italian place was excellent, highly recommend it. There is a Walmart within 10 minutes and a CVS within 5. FYI for those staying for multiple days.

AMENITIES - The pool is outdoors, very refreshing, temp during July was great, very clean, plenty of treatment. The hot tub / Spa was also perfect, temp was good. Towels are the size of one of your legs (Note to the hotel: REALLY?) they were often not restocked and it was a pain. There is a great basketball court - they have balls you can use. The fitness area was small but most are. There is a nice outdoor fire pit and grill area that some of the more modern Marriott's offer. THE BREAKFAST - I was surprised to read so many wonderful reviews about the breakfast. Perhaps people are just happy to get a free breakfast, but not this family! If it stinks, I would rather pay for the most important meal of the day. They have many days ONE person working the kitchen, filling stations, clean up spills (oh yeah there were many) and for this fairly busy summer hotel with 30 soccer teen players tearing up the place it was simply (UNACCEPTABLE). I could not complete my breakfast because the eggs were empty, the toast was empty, but there was this or that, I literally had to ask the person in the back to please fill it, by the time my plate had a decent spread, everything was cold. I am talking almost every single item was gone even paper plates and forks and it was not a priority to the staff. The food itself was just okay. (To the hotel: You include the breakfast as part of your rate, its NOT free, you should really consider how this affects the stay of your guests and do a better job of keeping it stocked not requiring guest to tell you whats empty. There should always be 2 people working breakfast, my guess is that is Marriott's policy and not be adhered too, I saw a man mop up his kids spill - he actually found it in the empty kitchen and cleaned it up which was a nice thing to do however there was no spill sign put down.

ROOMS - Rooms are all very modern and nice in decor. Flat screen TV's, granite bath tops, decent showers, hot water, good water pressure, kitchen amenities including a fridge. The bad and dreaded - THE BEDS ARE LIKE ROCKS. My second biggest pet peeve when traveling for weeks in hotels. By now if you have not upgraded your beds to comfy beds your asking for an angry guest. That is my only complaint about the rooms. Turn down service was pretty good.

VIEW - Well the view is of a valley. Its not bad, not the ocean obviously. We were happy with it.

STAFF - The staff is pretty accommodating - WHEN YOU COMPLAIN. This is not a compliment. I do again realize that so many people are writing the good, but unfortunately there is a clear picture that I have come to realize. The people writing those reviews mention an awful lot of staff by their names. This (as a Tripper) advises me (funny) that there are many repeat (BUSINESS) clients that stay here and they appear to be catered too as the one timer or out of towner is coded early on. (EASY TO SPOT US, WE HAVE OUR KIDS). This is of course my opinion but well.....you'll see. Honestly, they were all decent, no one ever was rude, but they were simply inattentive and unless you complained then they were not doing the remaining 20% of there job, keeping things in order for the guest.

LOBBY - The hotel had a broken elevator, there are only 2 in the fairly large residence inn, and so this caused lines on every floor around 8-9 for breakfast. We took the stairs. This was obviously not intentional - Things happen, HOWEVER, the staff was using the elevator so often during this time that it slowed everything down. The maids were getting a jump on the rooms as every time we got in the elevator there was an employee coming in the back. Just a real pain. Lots of people complained.

Lastly - For those of you NOT green. This hotel is bronze level eco friendly. Apparently that means your A/C may not work. We were told this as we waited 3-4 hours for our temperature to go from 74 up to 75 when the stat was set on 67! They upgraded our room thankfully to a room that did have working A/C but still never quite was cool in the right areas. The front desk person mentioned that our old room was really fine and the temp went right down when her maintenance staff checked it BUT I did not believe her, I saw a tank of refrigerant and gauges by the mechanical room (for those who may not know, this is because there is a problem - usually freon has leaked out of the compressor/s causing your A/C not to work). I not stupid and I didn't appreciate the ridiculous statement that the room was fine. She told me there are sensors, which I have actually heard of, in the rooms that can either tell when there is movement or a change in air (from the hall door opening) and shuts the A/C off to save electricity. Well, I am not ECO friendly, I am A/C friendly and even the upgraded room was not the right temp. This was the third biggest issue for me. Well and then there is the "story" I was told about nothing being wrong, contradicted by her associate who later admitted there were a "few" rooms having problems. I don't appreciate people lying, your job is to believe your PAYING GUESTS as a hotel employee especially regarding comfort.

So in conclusion. I would not stay here again for the 3 main reasons, Beds, Breakfast & A/C. If those are not important to you, then I would recommend this place for all the other conveniences.

Room Tip: If the elevators broken, stay on the first floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank snmurphy07
Joshua B, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Oceanside, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for the detailed review of your experience at the Residence Inn Oceanside. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. We appreciate the information that you have provided on every area of the hotel. We are glad that you found many conveniences at the property as well as the areas for improvement. Your comments have been shared with the Operations Team to allow us to make improvements especially in the top 3 categories that you mentioned. In addition, the issue with the elevator has already been addressed and this cab now back in operation. It’s unfortunate that the repairs required a replacement part that caused the delay to returning it to service. The hotel was working with our service provider to ensure that this work was completed as quickly as possible to avoid any safety issues as well as extended down time. Thank you again for your comments. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again on a future visit to the Oceanside area.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This is a nice hotel. The room was clean and quiet with a full kitchen (nice) and no noise from the hall inside the room. Breakfast was plentiful with a good selection. Front desk staff was eager to help and pleasant. The laundry room was nice- there were 3 machines so it was actually possible to do laundry there. The elevators were broken while we were there which was annoying- but I'd stay again as long as the elevators are functioning. One thing to note though, this hotel is NOT very close to San Diego- it is close to Carlsbad and about 35-40 minutes north of San Diego- more during rush hour.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Luv2travel1981
Scott H, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Oceanside, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear Luv2Travel1981,

First of all, I like your TripAdvisor login name! Thanks for the positive review of your experience at the Residence Inn Oceanside. We are glad that you were satisfied with the property and service received during your stay. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience experienced from one of the elevators not working during your visit. We have worked with our service provider to ensure this was fixed as quickly as possible and I’m happy to report that all elevators are back in service. We are working hard with a goal of ensuring your stay is perfect for your next visit with us. Please come see us again soon!

Newark, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Greatest experience in quite some time. On business from SF bay area to SoCal. Killer room, great size n layout. Wonderful location, close to restaurants and highways for easy travel. Great room layout and property layout; even had a kitchen for me if I wasn't indulging in the hospitality of the Inn. And most of all SUPERIOR CUSTOMER RELATIONS AND SERVICE!!!!!!! April Chu is a definite assett to the Marriott franchise. I arrived in the later hours, 11:30 pm to be exact, and got cookies for a late night snack first thing, greatest first impression. Felt like family. Ms. Chu also chatted with me and did some research on locating some places of interest while I sipped on a cup of complimentary white wine. It Gets NO BETTER THANKS THIS. If in Oceanside, you MUST!!!! Stay here, you will not be disappointed. DOOSKATE INC. Loves Residence Inn Oceanside. Thank You Ms. April Chu. The experience was phenomenal, keep up the great work.

• Stayed July 2014
Dooskate,

Wow, thanks for the positive review of your recent experience at the Residence Inn Oceanside. We appreciate the comparison to Disneyworld and the positive comments shared about the property and the service that you received from the staff during your stay. Thanks for the special recognition of April Chu. We will make sure that she is recognized for her efforts. Please come visit us again the next time you are in Oceanside. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Best regards,
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel in the Marriott chain does it right! The room/suites are spacious and comfortable, with some very useful shelves and even a laundry basket! Love the kitchen too. Staff is helpful and professional. Breakfast is full compliment of selections. And the location is in a strip mall with some excellent food options for dinner.
The art on the walls is gorgeous, like a gallery! A great stay, booked last minute on a holiday, at a AAA rate!

Stayed July 2014
Ryan F, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Oceanside, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel on Trip Advisor! I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to see you again soon!