“Dark rooms need renovation!!”

Oceanside Marina Suites
Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
San Diego, California
“Dark rooms need renovation!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2011

This property may be located near the harbor, but the rooms are just horrendous! Though, the front desk was very helpful during check-in and check-out. Other than that, I would not be coming back to this place. Their website photos are so deceiving (I stayed in one of the suites and it didn't come close to what I expected). The standards held at this property are very low because there were so many things wrong with the room. First off, the living room ceiling fan was not functioning correctly. One of the blades was crooked, so when the fan would run at a higher speed, it would hit the ceiling and the white paint would fall on the dining table. Also, the carpets had numerous stains and just needed to be changed! It was so dirty that I feared walking barefoot in my room. Secondly, one of the light bulbs in the bathroom was missing! They didn't even bother replacing it, so it was slightly dark in there. The bathtub / shower was very narrow and needed to be renovated (shower head was old and dirty). It wasn't until night time when I realized that I could barely see anything. The lighting in the bedroom was so dim and really uncomfortable. We had to use the hallway light as a secondary source since the lamps in the room were not bright enough. But the WORST thing about this place is the bed. I woke up the next morning and my back was aching!! The last time I felt this was when I slept on a worn-out spring mattress, which is exactly what this bed was! Very disappointed in this place, and I can only see people staying here if they owned one of the boats in the harbor. Overall, I will not be coming back to this property and would not recommend it to anyone. Definitely not worth the price for a run-down place like this.

Room Tip: Do not waste money on an expensive suite, you will just regret it.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vdubmark4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
earth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

Ok, I run a 34 room hotel, so I know what is owner lacking, housekeeping lacking & customer service lacking etc.So heres my two cents ! great location, friendly staff, took care of all my needs, missing a cutting board n/p, need ice, np, cant get the tv or fireplace to work n/p ! loved the views, stayed in the honeymoon suite, caribbean suite and family in disabled 1 bedroom.
+ 's are: the hot tub on balcony of honeymoon suite, fill it up early, takes a while to fill !! If no hot water its the GFR on the plug just trip it or call maint. they will hook u up! The kitchen in the Carib ste xcellent, views from suite to die for ! location of 1bdr disabled great !
the -'s are as follows: small repairs that make a difference, the dining table in carib ste needs fixed, wobbly, hot water on entire property lacking, but hey when the owner only has one boiler thats what u get same at my property...faucets turn completly around, this could b lack of housekeeping communicating to supervisor to maint. guy,etc., Pillows in disabled suite stinky, need simply replacing, deodorizer not doing it anymore, of course Mamal says it smells like her house in Portsmouth Va growin up... just being by the ocean is a challenge when it comes to musty smells ! I will definatly be back ! with the family, other members of family already seeing my pics and want to stay as well!! Planning a 70th bday for my Pops in the Beatles Room already !! Thanks for a great reunion !

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

The location is nice but the Hotel needs to be remodeled !
When this time comes they need to hire a professional interior designer - rooms are dark and dirty - come on the place is by the Ocean in California - not that hard to make it cozy and welcoming !

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Oceanside hotels

Phoenix
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2011

My wife and I stumbled on this property by accident when we wanted to extend our stay one day last year. At the time we only stayed one night, but I loved the location and thought the property was decent. Based on that experience I booked another vacation there this year (against my wife's wishes!) and looked forward to spending more time at the property. Positives: Location is right in the harbor in Oceanside which is very nice. The suites have ample room for couples or families. There is a full kitchen in each room. Our bed was very comfortable. New "Themed" rooms were very nice. The staff was also very nice and accommodating. Areas that need attention: Breakfast could be improved. Cold pastries, a small offering of fruit and juice or coffee is all one gets here. For the cost of the rooms I would expect a little more in this area. The rooms need renovation. The property is old and is starting to show it in the rooms. Our carpet was stained, the furniture was old and had a light stench, the bathroom cabinets and ceiling looked worn. The quality was inconsistent as well. Some rooms had newer flat screen televisions mounted on the wall while others had older model television sets that sat on a desk. The small television next to our bed was horrible and needs to be replaced. Finally, I tried to convince a friend and his wife to stay at the property but once they found out there was no air conditioning or fitness center they booked elsewhere. Overall, I'd have to say I was disappointed with our stay, but I, not my wife, still really like the property and believe it has potential. With the necessary renovations, this could be one of the best properties in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank goolsbyjazz
Las Vegas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Our family has been coming to hotel for many years and had told us about their wonderful prior visits. This trip they spent the entire time apologizing for the poor service and sub-par accommodations, it appears they will lose yet another repeat visitor. During our four night stay our family occupied three different units #219, #126 aka the Beatles Room and #128 a handicapped room and visited units #130 and #127. Each unit has variation on décor and so some may enjoy the decor while others may not, what I did not enjoy was, small garbage can for a two bedroom unit and maid service that arrived after 4pm daily to pick it up and make up the room – the couch that sagged so bad it felt like you were sitting on springs – the chairs around the dinner table that were so low in comparison to the height of the table – the lack of a toaster or hairdryer while other family members had those included in their units. The continental breakfast which was really Danish, coffee, tea and OJ I heard in years prior it include cereals and milk. The poolside ping pong table disappeared and there are many missing tiles throughout the pool area. Along the lines of missing was the daily 4pm cookies, we had to ask repeatedly for them and they were never out daily at 4pm. All in all the family will be looking for another water front vacation place if the owners can’t put some money back into this place and restore it to the gem it used to be.
The worst situation of the entire trip was an over aggressive security guard that arrived on Saturday to manage the increased traffic during an afternoon wedding. As a guest of the hotel who had family checking in that day it was a huge hassle and the hotel security guard was far from customer friendly or accommodating, the entire wedding was just a hassle for the rest of the paying guests that were there all week long.
As far as those ocean breezes our unit #128 did have them along with lamp posts that shinned in your room all night so you have to close your curtains and than when the jet skies start speeding up outside your window as early as 7:30am than you have to close your window so perhaps request a room with breezes but without the extra noise.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

In general this place isn't that bad to get away to relax, but if you can't afford one of their updated nicer rooms like my wife and I couldn't, then it can be rough. The standard room which we got was nothing even remotely close to any of the pictures or description on the website. At first entry into our room we got hit with a wall of heat. Without even looking around the room we could tell it was very dusty which was hell on our sinuses. Then at further review we saw mold in the bath room, chips under the bed, and beds looked about 100 years old, mattresses were barely thicker then a
futon one. Then we found a box fan in the closet with about an inch thick of dust, granted it did work. Then we had read all this stuff about no a/c just ocean breezes um I don't think so because where our room was and with the small window there was no ocean breeze, the only way we were going to get that was to have the door open, which I wasn't about to do. Then the shower had like no water pressure and the tub wasn't even flat it was like standing in the middle of a street drain. Oh can't forget about the carpet in need of replacement bad cause vacuuming if they do just anit cutting it recommend wearing socks if you don't want black feet. well otherwise weather was great, the two farmers market/ street fair on Thursday morning and evening were fun. So would I recommend this place to stay yes but not if your on a small budget for room accommodations you probably better off at the holiday inn down the street.

• Stayed August 2011
Surprise, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

Our 2 bedroom 2 bath guest room (not a suite) was not as it looked in photos on the website. Way overpriced and very old. Not having ac was okay (cool at night), but no ceiling fans except over dining table. Had to use floor fans provided to move the stale air. The living room carpet was stained so badly that it should be replaced. All the furniture is mismatched and old. Peeling paint throughout. Cheap plastic patio furniture on balcony. The bathrooms were okay, just small. Lounge chairs by pool had worn out cushions. Not enough parking. Continental breakfast selections were poor. My husband felt like a maintenance man instead of a guest having to let staff know of missing lightbulbs and patio door that needed repair.

Room Tip: Rooms on outside have best view of ocean & harbor, Ask about theme rooms.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family