“"Dated" with potential” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
Henderson, Nevada
“"Dated" with potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in March during the Ironman where the “Oceanside Marina Suites” was the host hotel.
1. The outside parking was limited, there is available covered parking for compact vehicles however the available spots are extremely close together even with a compact car.
2. Check in was easy, efficient, and friendly, they have fresh baked chocolate chip cookies every night at the front desk.
3. The hotel appeared to have been a condo originally and converted to a hotel later, with that being said elevators seem to have been an afterthought and though they did have one I didn’t know where it was (not in the lobby) nor did we use it.
4. The Room was dated but large, relatively clean & picked up but the carpet did appear to need cleaning, there were some cob webs in the corners of the ceiling and the walls showed signs of numerous repairs over the past several years.
5. In the bathroom the hair dryer did not work well, it had toilet paper crammed into two small holes in the bathroom wall that appeared to have possibly been where the toilet paper roll dispenser used to be and one of the faucet knob’s on the sink in the bathroom was loose and difficult to turn, and the vanity items were not replenished when the room was serviced.
6. The room had a small balcony with a table and chairs and a great view overlooking the harbor, although the sliding glass door to the balcony was older and slightly difficult to open.
7. The room had a fireplace (not sue if it worked because we never tried using it), and 2 TV’s, one flat screen in the living area & an older large tube TV in the separate bedroom.
8. The Kitchenette seemed fully stocked (though we did not use any of the pots/pans/dishes), there is a full size refrigerator but it didn’t seem to get very cold although it was on the coldest setting, we did use the toaster for bagels & it worked fine.
9. The hotel did have a gas BBQ adjacent to the pool (in the pool area), I wish we knew about it sooner & we would have utilized it, while in the spa we saw others cooking up some awesome looking steaks, there is also a separate indoor area with multiple tables & chairs to eat if you didn’t want to eat in lounge chairs at the pool (same area where continental breakfast is served).
10. The continental breakfast was ok but it was a little odd that the “mini muffins” were cut in half, and the Danishes were cut into 1 inch squares, they ran out of coffee by the time we got down to eat at 9am and had to wait awhile more was made.
11. Due to the busy weekend the pool towels ran out and were not replenished.
12. The hotel did have a “business center” which consisted of a converted locked closet that you have to ask for access to, upon attempting to utilize the provided computer it is very slow and their fire wall/antivirus program is a “parental control” program that prevents you from printing anything off the internet like airline boarding passes or online tickets to local amusement parks, when the staff is contacted about this problem they are friendly but unable to help as they do not have the access code to disable the parental controls. We ultimately went to the Holiday inn (where we are members of their rewards program) to print the tickets that we could not at the Marina Suites.
13. Ultimately my family and I had a had a great weekend, we always felt safe, the grounds were well maintained, the staff was always very friendly and attempted to help within their capacity and the location is great with tons of potential if modernized.

Room Tip: Mention that you want "Ocean View"
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
radelowgittins, General Manager at Oceanside Marina Suites, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us at the Oceanside Marina Suites. We value your feedback and are grateful for the honest assessment of your stay. It gives us an opportunity to continue to work towards what we hope to provide to all of our guests: an enjoyable stay in an amazing location with a great value.
Parking: Parking is Free but we do have limited on-site parking. We have enough for one car per room, with some of it being spaces for compact cars, making the best use of our limited parking space. We are located on a peninsula, surrounded on three sides by water, which makes parking expansion impossible. We offer overflow parking at a nearby restaurant, a short walk away. On busy weekends and during events, we even employee a parking attendant to help maintain the parking lot for the exclusive use of guests.
I am glad you were able to enjoy the delicious Otis Spunkmeyer cookies that are baked fresh daily as this gives guests an opportunity to interact with our friendly and professional Front Desk Agents.
We have an abundance of ground-floor rooms as well as three ADA-compliant rooms. We do not have an elevator, though we are always more than happy to lend a hand assisting with luggage up stairs.
We have recently gone through a management change, I myself being the new General Manager as well as hiring an experienced Head Housekeeper. The new team in place is giving the rooms some TLC and in the past couple of weeks they have already accomplished so much. I brought these additional maintenance issues to the attention of the Maintenance Department and they are busy rectifying them right away.
We started the continental breakfast the day before you arrived and you may have witnessed some “teething problems.” Now it has already grown out of its infancy and is a daily feature. We have re-evaluated portion sizing and made corrections and we are meeting with suppliers to maintain a diverse, fresh selection for our guests’ enjoyment.
Lastly, our guest-use computer is being modified so other guests will be able to print items such as boarding passes. We are always trying to find new ways to offer more complimentary conveniences for our guests, but with the confines of the property there was only one space available for the location of the Business Center. With that being said, we also offer free wireless internet which operates throughout the hotel.
Thanks again for your kind feedback and we look forward to being your host for next year’s Ironman!
Adam M. Della Rocca, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Pensacola, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Booked this hotel as part of the local Ironman 70.3 triathlon. The hotel is located on a beautiful piece of land but that's where the good part ends. The hotel is in disrepair. Old carpet, old appliances, bathroom fixtures and furniture. The bathroom was very dirty with cracked tiles and soiled shower curtain. We went out to a local store for shower shoes before my wife would shower there. Don't let the location fool you... book elsewhere!

• 2 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Oceanside hotels

Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Dirty carpets. I was afraid there were maybe even bed bugs in this hotel even though I did not see any. Bugs did come out of the tub drain when I went to take a shower. Room seemed to have mold and cracks everywhere in the ceiling. Microwave appeared to been melted at some point in time. Dirty dishes were restocked in the cabinets. I had to wash a load of dishes before I had ones to use. No measuring cup among the available dishes for usage. I agree with the man that discussed called the health department on this hotel. Quite bad.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Person2477
Dear Guest,
I offer a heartfelt apology for the problems associated with your stay. The items you mention fell obviously well below our high standards and I am surprised to hear them listed. We have recently gone through a complete change in management, hiring a new General Manager as well as an experienced Head Housekeeper, and are addressing many of the concerns you see in previous Trip Advisor reviews. The housekeepers are working hard and pride themselves on their cleaning to ensure every guest has a positive experience. I brought your concerns to our Head of Housekeeping and our Maintenance Department in order to make this does not occur again in the future.
Regarding your concerns about bed bugs I can assure you we do not have any such incidents. The housekeepers are trained to be aware of the presence of pests and we have routine pest control inspections and applictations, in line with the standards of the US Hotel industry.
We apologize if your stay was not satisfactory. If a guest has problems during their stay, we hope that they relay will their concerns to the staff immediately so that we have an opportunity to correct any issues.

Marina del Rey, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

The California 70.3 Ironman is held annually in Oceanside, with the Marina suites being the host hotel. This is my 3rd year staying here and I must say I love the staff. Robin and Natasha at the front desk are wonderful, very helpful with my reservation and made me feel welcome before I even arrived. Robin is an exceptional employee as he remembers me every year and honors my requests, which I find extremely important, since preping for an Ironman race can be stressfull and hectic! Adam the manager, was also extremely helpful and accomodating to my special requests:) The rooms are spacious and clean. The tranquil setting of the hotel is located just far enough away from the action to calm the nerves. I look forward to next year:) Thank you all for another calm stay!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the complimentary feedback. The employees, from the Front Desk to the Housekeeping, all work hard to make sure our guests enjoy their stay. We aim to go the extra mile for our guests to accommodate their needs, especially during special events like the Ironman. Some of the employees arrived at 6:00am the morning of the Ironman event to cheer on many of our guest athletes who were swimming just yards off the jetty, a stone’s throw from some of the rooms. We can’t wait to see all of our athletes and spectators back here next year!
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

My two children and I spend March break here at the Oceanside Marina Suites. We had a great stay. The location beside the Marina in the harbour was wonderful. We enjoyed the views and were quite close to the beach. The pool was very nice and the kitchenette in the suite very functional. The rooms were a good size and the finishes nice. All in all an excellent value which we really enjoyed.

1 Thank dan v
Dear Guest,
Thanks for spending time with us at the Oceanside Marina Suites. We enjoy accommodating families and the large one and two-bedroom suites with the large kitchens are perfect for families and extended-stays. We hope to see you back here again sometime soon.
Carlsbad, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

What a great little gem!! My boyfriend and I booked this for two nights (AAA discount!) as a little "stay-cation" as I live in Carlsbad. It was the only one I could find that wasn't near the train tracks and/or highway and it is perfect! Sure, the decor is dated, but I really don't want to pay $100 more per night for something I can't tell the difference in with my eyes shut. It's on its own little peninsula, we got a corner room with slightly angled view of the ocean, rounded out deck with chairs where we drank some nice local beers and had pizza while watching the sun set, and then sat in the hot tub and listened to the sea lions barking and couldn't hear anything of the huge people population just a mile or so away. There is even a BBQ area in the pool section you can use for grilling!
They even have a deal with the restaurant that is a few hundred feet walk from the hotel for a $5 breakfast that is a steal. Walk to the marina is a nice stroll for more restaurants and whale watching, etc...
Ocean views on three sides can't be beat!

Room Tip: Not sure about the probably-more-expensive unobstructed ocean view rooms but ask for one on a corner...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Oceanside Marina Suites for your “stay-cation.” We pride ourselves on being an affordable hotel with great amenities, like the heated pool and spa, the amazing ocean views, the quiet location, and our poolside BBQs. We offer a continental breakfast but also guests can enjoy a full hot breakfast for just $4.95 at the Jolly Roger restaurant which is located within walking distance.
Thanks for staying with us and we look forward to hosting your next “stay-cation.”
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I stayed at this location once before with my family, since we enjoyed our stay we decided to stay there again. I can say that we could had more fun and better experience if we stayed at the motel 6 down in coast hwy.
I really don’t know what have changed in the hotel management that is causing all that chaos.

I still remember that staffs were much more professional in the past.
Now you are going to walk in a so called Hotel/Resort, which I would probably change the name of it to a rundown Motel, dealing with all new staff members that I can easily say they don’t have any hotel experience whatsoever.

What can I say about rude housekeeping staff, and rude front desk supervisor?!

Since we had lots of difficulties with our room, and the maid services that we got, so we decided to take our concerns down to the front desk and see what they can do for us, that was when we discovered that talking to the front desk supervisor (Tatu) is just a waste of time.
Then we asked to talk to the General Manager (Virginia Watton) and that was even worse. We got her phone number from a staff member, since she was never available throughout our stay in person to talk to.
We tried to call her few times and got no answer, what a surprise!!! After few tries we got a hold of her, instead of helping us to fix the issues we had with our room, she basically called us liars, and told us that she has to look into the problems and that she will get back with us. We left the hotel 5 days ago!!!! and still, got no call back from her.
I would never stay in that place again, and sure won’t recommend it to anyone. There are many other REAL Hotels around that area, which you can get much better service at.

Dealing with rude and unprofessional general manager wont worth it.

At Oceanside marina suites customers mean nothing, and it is a shame because it was not like that at all in the past.

Room Tip: Don't waste your time or money
1 Thank jackie c