“Adequate”

Oceanside Marina Suites
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Oceanside
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed in room 110. It was damp, and had a strange murky odor. Internet was available hotel wide, but was not reliable in my particular room location. It constantly got cut off. People say parking is too cramped, but I was ok with it in my Honda Pilot. It's much further away from the beach for my liking, as there were many comparable priced hotels right on the beach. The free breakfast was lame - store bought mini pastries, small servings of yogurt, and apples. Eh. On the plus side, the room was spacious and I slept fine. The views were nice, and it was fairly priced for the size of the room. I really wished the sofa pulled out to a bed though.

Room Tip: Rooms on the northernmost side get crappy wifi access.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
radelowgittins, General Manager at Oceanside Marina Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Dear Jayfeezy,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay with us. We apologize for the intermittent wifi signal as we have been diligently working on a solution to correct this. We offer a Complimentary Continental Breakfast as a courtesy to our guests should they choose to stay and relax on the property. Almost all rooms have a full kitchen should guests wish to stock up on their favorite foods or the Jolly Roger Restaurant (our closest neighbor) offers a 20% discount on breakfast (and all their meals) for those who looking for something more substantial for breakfast. We do hope that you will come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Let first start off by saying if you are going to this hotel hoping for a smoke free hotel do not book. The advertisement said that the hotel was 100% smoke free but it isn't. They have no air conditioning which I knew but that means you keep your windows open and if it was smoke free it wouldn't be a big deal however my neighbors were smokers and their smoke came into my room. I was so disappointed. As for the room it was ok. The fridge needs repair of replacement it was so loud, the hair dryer didn't work, and there is no storage in the bathroom. You would think they would at least have a shelf on the wall for your bathroom supplies. We stayed for a week and so that meant a lot of clothes and the master room had no dresser for our clothes just the closet. If you are there just for a view that was the best part of the hotel. We did get the ocean view we asked for. I guess I would say if you don't want to deal with smoke in your room don't book here but if you want a beautiful room and an ok room go for it.

Room Tip: Request ocean view

Dear CandyB65,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your comments are valued as it is very important that we know the guest experience, whether good or not so good. We are installing dressers in those rooms to help accommodate the needs of our guests. We apologize for the actions of some inconsiderate guests whose smoke affected your stay. If brought to the attention of the Front Desk, we always notify guests who may not be aware that their smoking is affecting their neighbors. Again, I appreciate your feedback and we do hope that you will be back again.

Reviewed 30 July 2013

I took my 90 year old father to Oceanside to visit where we stayed every summer when I was a child. He wanted to stay near the harbor so even though I read some bad reviews, I thought what the heck one night, it will be fine. Those reviews were so wrong. It was clean, the beds (2 bedrooms) were great and the kitchen had everything we could possibly have needed. We had plenty of towels and the bathrooms also were very clean. The staff was wonderful when we arrived, making sure my Dad and I found the easiest way for him to get to the room; he cannot do stairs. We both loved the views, the marina is so much fun to watch with all the boats; and the ocean view was great too. The room was dark; but duh, it was overcast most of the day. When the sun came out and we opened the curtains it was bright enough, I have booked another stay in two weeks, I am bringing my son and his wife for their anniversary. Only one night again due to their work restrictions. So I plan to come back by myself for 3-4 nights so I can be at the beach and write. This is an awesome place to stay. The people who wrote those bad reviews are wrong.

Room Tip: Stay on the marina side only if you love watching the boats; which I do. If you are a light sleeper...

Dear JoanieA,

Thank you for the five-star review and we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with your Dad and made some new memories to cherish. All of us at the Oceanside Marina Suites take pride in our property but it is you, the guests that make it come alive. We look forward to your return trip in the near future.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We pre-payed through Kayak for a four night stay. We were told we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite. It was dark and filthy in the day light, a place most wouldn't venture into in the night. We complained to the manager, she said we booked a marina view, and we were then given the room we booked, filthy, filthy, and warm because they don't have AC, air wasn't moving on the marina. Went back to the manager and she said let me work on it. We called Kayak and they were willing to find another hotel for us, July weekends in Oceanside are pretty much fully booked. Finally the manager showed us another room, which was recently redone, it had an ocean view, it was acceptable, but we were scammed out of another ninty dollars. The manager played us, and pretended to be working hard for us, but it was just to well done.

This place is beyond filthy, when we checked in there was a mini Oreo cookie in a corner on the stairs, its still there at check out now. Some would say that is good because it shows there are no rats, Right!??

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffrey G
radelowgittins, General Manager at Oceanside Marina Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear Guest:

I was disappointed to read your negative review about how the honest intentions of the Assistant General Manager trying to ensure you enjoyed your stay by getting an Ocean View room (which were not available through Kayak) at a heavily discounted rate, were misinterpreted and under appreciated. Just to clarify, we only offer our One Bedroom Suites with Marina Views through third party websites only and that is why they are such a great value. This is then confirmed on the Guest Reservation Confirmation. Should a guest choose to upgrade upon arrival, we will make every effort to accommodate them depending upon availability.

As you mentioned, the hotel was nearly sold out as we are in our busy season and the Assistant General Manager worked very hard to make it appear seamless as guests do not need to see “behind the curtain” on how we are able to make things happen. Apparently even with this effort and deeply discounted rates you were still not happy with the accommodations. We hope that in the future you will make sure to check that the third party websites (kayak, expedia, etc.) give full disclosure regarding guest room expectations.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My previous review of this property was somehow put under the Comfort Suites at a totally different address...this review is for the Oceanside Marina Suites at 2008 Harbor Drive in Oceanside,Ca. We were booked under the Vacation Internationale company who own 7 suites at this location. Their suites have been renovated and I was told the other remaining suites have been or are in the process of being renovated. Our suite was very nice, with a Murphy bed, instead of the typical hide a bed, in the livingroom. The kitchen had full sized stainless steel appliances and all the normal amenities, including granite countertops and vanity tops in both bath/dressing areas.. One very nice feature was that in addition to the main bathroom, with a full tub/shower and vanity, there was an another dressing vanity in the main bedroom. It made it very nice, when you have additional guests staying with you, to have that second private dressing area. The bed was a king sized and very comfortable.
There was no air conditioning. This suite did not have a view, as it faced the side of the building opposite us. It made for very little cross ventilation, so it could be a problem if there was hot weather. They did have ceiling and floor fans in all the rooms.
The location was beautiful, at the end of the harbor, with water on 3 sides but the lower rooms really have no views. The upper rooms all had large balconies with great views but I don't think most of them are renovated as nicely as ours was.The one advantage to the lower rooms was that it made it an easy access to the lower free parking carports. It made it much simpler for loading and unloading your vehicle.They do not have locked entries to the grounds or parking.
They did provide a continental breakfast at the pool area every morning from 8 - 9:30 AM.
The free WiFi they provided had a very weak signal and never did connect for us. The TV in the bedroom had only the local channels, was not connected to the cable channels.
We would stay here again, would prefer a room with a little better view and cross ventilation and would like the renovated suites.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room on the upper floor, for the best view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
radelowgittins, General Manager at Oceanside Marina Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Dear Guest,
What an honor to receive such a great review from a Senior Contributor to Trip Advisor and we are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Although Vacation International has its own maintenance team for their rooms, our property maintenance engineer has rectified the issue with the television. We do look forward to having you come back and stay with us. Next time make sure you put in a request to Vacation International for a room with a view as they book out fast! Thanks again.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

This is by far the dirtiest hotel that I have stayed in. I wish I had taken pictures. The walls were sticky and had splatters on them, food crumbs from previous guests were on the floor, stains on the carpets and couches, and the bathroom was dirty. The hotel manager switched our room once and the front desk guy switched us once as well because of the same issues in the rooms. The third room was dirty as well but less dirty than the others. If I could give a ZERO rating I would. Great view but it doesn't make up for the dirtiness of the place. I would never recommend this place and I won't be coming back.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for an ocean view room. The other rooms are not renovated and less up to date.

Dear Guest:
We apologize for your less than enjoyable stay. We did make an honest effort to try to accommodate you which included a complimentary upgrade to an ocean view room. I am surprised by your review because when you were checking out you told me you enjoyed the room you were in. Again we made every effort to make your stay enjoyable and I am sorry to hear that you were ultimately disappointed. Although on occasion items may be overlooked by mistake, our housekeeping staff works very hard to ensure that our guests enjoy a clean and comfortable stay.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed at the Oceanside Marina Suites in Oceanside, Ca from July 13 - 20th .It is surrounded on 3 sides by water and the boat marina, so you definitely know that you're at the ocean! This property is run by 2 different rental companies and we were rented under Vacation Internationale. .They have renovated their suites and have nice furniture, full size stainless steel appliances, granite countertops and vanity tops. Instead of the typical sleeper sofa, there is a murphy bed in the living room, which was very convenient. Another nice feature was, as well as the full bath tub/shower/vanity off the main hall, there is an additional vanity in the main bedroom, so you have an extra dressing area, especially if you have additional guests staying with you. The grounds were nicely landscaped and maintained . The pool was nice as well as the hot tub. They provided a Continental Breakfast down at the pool area every morning.
The negative features were that most of the Vacation Internationale suites are on the lower floor ,so you have no view - ours looked directly at the side of the building across from us. It also made for little ventilation and with no air conditioning, could be uncomfortable if the weather was hot. The downstairs suites made for easy access to the under the building parking area. The free WiFi had a very weak signal and wouldn't connect . It did look like the other rentals hadn't been renovated as nice as ours.
All in all , I would recommend this facility - it had everything we needed and was an easy access to nearby shops and restaurants in Oceanside and Carlsbad.

ey have been renovated with nice furniture, appliances, granite countertops and vanities. Instead of the typical sleeper sofa in the living room - they had a Murphy bed, which was really nice. another nice feature, especially if you have additional guests, which we did - is that the hall bath has the tub shower and vanity. In the master bedroom there is an additional vanity and mirror, so you have two areas for getting dressed.

Room Tip: Asking for an upstairs room will give you a great view but I'm not sure that they are renovated...