“Strange mix”
Review of Chantico Inn

Chantico Inn
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I was surprised to find that our room in person did not look like the picture on the web. It was perhaps a tired, worn version of it. Furniture in the room did not match - ranged from old looking (fake antique) to French provincial. Handles were missing from a few of the drawers and were resting inside of them rather than being reattached. The hair dryer on the wall didn't work and just hung there useless. A second one sat in a drawer. The light switch over the sink was hidden behind the microwave and we needed help from the front desk to locate it. Although we were two, the housekeeper insisted on leaving us just one hand towel every day. The alarm clock marched along to it's own beat, way out of sync with the real world. The hotel promises
a continental breakfast. In reality, there was no juice, a few packages of stale looking Danishes, a malfunctioning waffle machine and tepid hot water and coffee. On a positive note, the room was clean and quiet.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank crosswycke
There are newer reviews for Chantico Inn

Reviewed 21 October 2011

We stayed there for two nights in August. Nothing special. Rooms were clean but decoration was kitschy. The bed in our room was so tall that I needed to step on the stool to get on it! At nights we were chasing rats outside our room... They had free wi-fi which was great. Breakfast was coffee and some croissants only. Staff was really friendly. Pool was nothing special. The hotel was really cheap and ok for two nights but if you want to have a great time in Ojai I would recommend you something else.

Room Tip: Whatever you choose is the same thing. Prefer the rooms on the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LeriMari
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Booked 2 rooms for 1 night for our family/in-laws.The shampoo bottle was not sealed and was sticky. Our group all agreed the shampoo had been replaced with semen. Took it to front desk and was told if it would make us feel better we could clean the shower/tub cuz there were no more rooms available and no maid either. We were then given cleaning supplies! Days later, after much trying, I reached the owner and was told angrily that we were wrong. Everyone in our group agreed it was semen. Took bottle to city health department and they said they'd look into it. I am still in disbelieve about how the whole thing was handled.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank tonyaramos
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Visiting Ojai for a couple days, I decided to give this charming Spanish-styled Inn a first time try. For most of the Spring, I stayed at one of their 'sister' vacation-properties off the beach in Santa Barbara - a delightful experience. I was looking for a few days quiet and seclusion so chose the off-the-beaten-path Ojai property - unlike the neighboring '5-Star' name Resort around the bend. The most immediate appeal of the little Inn, is its typical Ojai-Artsy vibe. The rooms were decorated eclectically w/ some interesting pieces of furniture - my dresser for instance, was fashioned from an old piano! The bed-quiltings were plush and comfortable, and the sink was a raised 'bowl-style' w/ a an old time water-pump handle. The tile work in the bathrooms, colorful, and fun. But my favorite feature, were the private verandas off each and every room; perfect for sitting, warm Summer nights - such as the dates I checked in. What was NOT so perfect however, the 'too-close' proximity and poor acoustics - due to all outdoor tiling. The loud conversations of (several) neighboring guests were imposed upon my ears, while (trying) to relax w/ a Mimosa out on my patio. Worse, when you have multiple people in one room they ALL tend to migrate right out to their private verandas. Cigarette smoke blowing over to my patio off neighboring ones was (also) an irritant. I wanted and expected, more privacy than this, wasn't able to enjoy it - and left disappointed. Also, the room amenities were badly botched - considering the interior charm. For instance the coffee pot provided (2) mugs which were labeled IN-appropriately "The Red Lion"...? I wondered if the Management had snitched these from the RL hotel chain in an effort to economize(?) A very tacky touch indeed and not good marketing, to promote someone 'elses' brand! What were they thinking?? Also, the toiletries provided were skimpy and cheap looking - as were the Bath towels, rough, dirty-looking and absolutely of shameful quality to be presented w/ this type of a room. In Lobby, the 'Continental Breakfast' was marginal at BEST, and poorly presented. The coffee options were 'unusual' and had to be fumbled with to simply get a cup and go, and there were a lot of pre-packaged cheap items such as rolls, pastries and etc. Not very appealing so I just opted for the coffee in my room, and an old apple I'd brought - not much of a breakfast, but a whole lot healthier option. Further, the temps. were a sweltering 101 outside and air-conditioning in the Lobby area was badly needed - but none on! The 'reading-area' window seat was cute, but my effort to sit there was fleeting - felt more like sitting in a sauna!! I checked out one day early. Overall, the Desk staff were very polite w/ a pleasant manner and the cost of the room itself was within reason. (99.00 a nite) However, the place badly misses the mark on several 'internal' glitches. The building undeniably, has a stand-alone charm all its own - but its Management needs to seriously 'step up their game' if they ever hope for my return visit; far too many corners cut overall in an effort to minimalize expenses; unfortunatley, it shows.

Room Tip: Bring your own toiletries and bath toweling - the room offerings are useless, and the towels may scr...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank NewportBeachWords
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Very friendly service, the pool was great, the room we stayed in was ok. It was clean and furnished decently, however there were hardly any drawers or places to hang or put clothes. The maids were very nice, but they use a lot of yucky chemically fragranced fabric softener and laundry soap that gave the room a bad smell. (Unless you like those fake scents. I don't). They had a fridge and microwave in the room which was nice. The balconies for the rooms are right out the front doors so they don't feel very private and we didn't use ours. The location was good, you could walk to downtown easily. The beds were reasonably comfortable. All in all a decent hotel, not anything amazing, though.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Horseymama
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Note to self: Heed warnings given by reviewers on Trip Advisor. Someone else had their room given away, and we thought surely it was a fluke - but it also just happened to us. We were an hour away from Ojai when my husband wisely decided to call to confirm our reserved room with 2 beds for our family of 4. Turns out they had double booked the room and someone decided it was okay to bump us from the room and put us in a room with one bed - and NOT call us to tell us. When we said they didn't have a good reputation on Trip Advisor for this sort of thing, the person on the phone said, "I guess we'll just have to live with that." !!! They offered us the room for free, but 2 of us would have had to sleep on the floor (no cots), so that didn't help. All hotels in Ojai were booked for the night, so we were out of luck - the other hotel they found for us was out of town and not a hotel we would choose. We spent that entire eve looking for another place and ended up in Ventura paying double because of it being "last minute." So much for day 1 of our 3-day vacation. We are forgiving people, but to not even call us to let us know was so disrespectful - all I can say is when you book ahead here, you take your chances.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank rebelbelleLosAngeles
Reviewed 1 July 2011

I stayed at Chantico for a couple of weeks and found, for my needs, it was very good.

I was moved from one room due to a malfunctioning refrigerator and no microwave. Both rooms had extremely high beds (my guess is about 3 feet high - fine if you're a pole vaulter, but not so good if you're only 5'4!). I peeked in windows of other rooms while they were vacant and found that not all rooms have beds this high so, if you think you will have a problem, be sure to ask for a bed with a more 'normal' height! The bed was comfy though and I slept well each night.

Also, the counter level and sink in each room I was in was extraordinarily high - in the second room, it came up to my chest which made brushing teeth awkward!

In the first room, there was no usable dresser at all while the second room had a nice antique dresser with mirror. Each room had only a small, exposed corner railing to hang clothes - no closet or rack on which to put suitcases. The staff managed to find a small table I could use to put one of my bags on.

Hot water for showers was hit or miss as was the internet connection (which was a bigger problem for me as I was there on business).

I did not eat breakfast so I cannot comment on the offering.

Overall, I would recommend this property. The drawbacks were mainly cosmetic and easily corrected (for instance, need to fix caulking around the shower tile; lower height of the counter and bed in some rooms). It is easy to see they are* trying* to create an atmosphere of luxury and elegance (high beds, big comforters, granite tile and counters) but they miss that mark with lack of attention to the details. How about providing a step-stool for helping people into/out of those high beds?

The location is fantastic. The staff very helpful. For me, the positives outweigh the negatives, I would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank smj7
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojai
Casa Ojai Inn
Oakridge Inn
#1 of 1 in Oak View
Ojai Valley Inn & Spa
Emerald Iguana Inn

Been to Chantico Inn? Share your experiences!