“Lovely place, lovely people.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ojai
Pepper Tree Retreat
Ranked #5 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Lovely place, lovely people.”
Reviewed 27 December 2013

We stayed for a week in a big studio apartment with a very modest kitchenette and fabulous views of mountains and trees. The land is lovely, so quiet. The people who run the Pepper Tree Retreat are sweet and real. This is a very comfortable, not luxurious, place. We'd go back in a minute.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Altadena, California
Reviewed 16 December 2013

What a wonderful 3 days at Pepper Tree. I had a book project to work on and have always loved Krishnamurti's teachings so combined the 2. The seclusion helped me work and the library had inspirational info to inspire me. Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I was in the Huxley room very central so can be a bit noisy in the am, but I didn't mind. Would...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We just stayed at this property this past weekend. Julian was very welcoming! We stayed in the Bodhi room. It is upstairs, and has a wonderful view, very clean, and was very comfortable. We also liked that it has it's own bathroom (I believe all of the rooms do at this property). We skipped other places because we did not want to share bathrooms. The property is gorgeous, and we enjoyed walking throughout it, and visiting the library. The property is lined with organic orange trees which we were free to pick and eat...just awesome! Julian also recommended to visit the Herb Garden during sunset. I'm glad we did. Such a pretty view, and we took pictures of the gorgeous sunset. We can't wait to go back. Hopefully we'll be able to stay longer.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed 5 December 2013

Wonderful experience at the Pepper Tree Retreat. My daughter came for one day and ended up extending our trip by another 2 days. So much was offered and the people running the Retreat were helpful and so lovely. I left with pending request to come back for one month in August!

Room Tip: I saw most of the rooms - Room #10 has the best view! I had my daughter and Room #6 was perfect for...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Tarzana, California, United States
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My wife and I were looking for a couple of days of intense R&R, and discovered even more than we'd hoped. Not to be mistaken for an upscale boutique inn, the Pepper Tree Retreat is just that, a comfortable, non-pretentious retreat facility. It's run by a non-profit group connected to the life and teachings of a gentle man who passed away in the 80s, leaving his lush, thoughtful world to visitors to partake. No philosophical indoctrinations, just precious peace and quiet in a secluded, special place.

We stayed in the Lennon room, complete with kitchen and large porch overlooking the front grounds. Nothing pretentious, just simple, intrinsic beauty. We picked and enjoyed delicious oranges and persimmons from the healthy, abundant trees (11 acres about 4 miles outside of town).

The attending staff (Anat and Julien) is dedicated and very hospitable, and you'll definitely want to visit the founder's home, a few yards up the path (now a library/sanctuary). Michael is in charge, someone you'll definitely want to sit down and chat with.

Charming. Calming. Restorative. Clean and conscientiously managed. Fairly priced. Great organic breakfast included. Secluded, but plenty of nearby restaurants and shopping if so inclined. The Pepper Tree Retreat may not be for everybody, but it certainly captured our hearts.

We'll be back.

Room Tip: The surrounding land IS the fitness center. No Nordic Tracks here! ;o) You are welcome to tea and o...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Based on a recommendation from a friend I originally booked for a night and then booked two more when I realised how special it is. A lovely ambience was created by both the environment and warm friendly staff. I also enjoyed finding out about Krishnamurti.

Room Tip: I stayed in 2 rooms and the second had wonderful views from which I saw the sunrise over distant hil...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We originally booked in one night and upon discovering the Krishnamurti library and the peacefulness of the property and surroundings, we decided to stay a second to take in more fully all that being here has to offer.
We stayed in the Lennon Room which has a wonderful private porch overlooking the grounds.
We felt transported back into Krishnamurti's time meeting with some of the greatest thinkers and creators of the last century. We look forward to visiting again and immersing ourselves even deeper into the peaceful and restorative environs of the home and grounds.

Room Tip: The Lennon room has a kitchen and Private porch.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple