“Loved the woodsy, hipster vibe”
Review of Ojai Rancho Inn

Ojai Rancho Inn
Ranked #7 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
San Diego
“Loved the woodsy, hipster vibe”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

My husband and I stayed in the very back room (I think # 19???) for one night. The room was very spacious and had an entrance to the pool area from the bathroom (great if it was warm enough to enjoy the pool, but it was January). Anyways, the place is fun - it came equipped with a fireplace (that acted as your thermostat), the best bed we slept in by far (3 nights, 3 hotels) and there were just lots of little details we enjoyed. Example - the room had a record player and some records - we'd never really had the luxury of playing with record players, so we thought this was fun, and novel. We chose to just stay in, watch movies and relax because we loved the room that much. It's simple, but charming - we would definitely recommend this place to friends!

I had a little problem with the shower - but it appeared to just be me - but the owner was extremely responsive.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jacquelyn_San_Diego

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed one night at the Ojai Rancho Inn as part of a vacation in and around Ventura County.. We also stayed in room 14, and didn't experience the agitating noise noted by another reviewer. Our room was on the small side and very dark, with nowhere to sit except on the bed. There were two side chairs at a ledge that served as a work area but if anyone was sitting in them another person couldn't walk past because it was so close to the end of the bed. The room was dark due to the paneling and wood beamed ceiling, and lighting in the room were very dim. In our room, the bathroom was very small and it was impossible for two people to be in there at the same time.

On the plus side our room was very clean and everything was working properly.

The Inn offers free bikes for the use of guests and has a pool area with a security gate that includes the pool, a fire pit, shuffleboard and a grassy area. The location is about half a mile from the Arcade in the downtown area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 7 January 2014

we stayed there for a couple night last week and we really enjoy everything . comfortable bed and it has jacuzi in the room. they have swimming pool. Kenny and Kris and everyone there are super nice.
We enjoyed staying there at rancho inn. and we will be back
Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This place has a great design scheme, but just be clear, it's a motel on the side of a noisy road with a lot of traffic. I was expecting more ranch at the Rancho Inn. The room I paid for had a plumber taking apart the bathroom when I checked in. I asked for a room farther from the road and it was the lower price one but they wouldn't refund the difference. And my room (14) had an agitating noise as if there was an agitating mashing machine next to the wall. Linens had spots on them. One of the front desk attendees knew nothing about Ojai and explained that is because she is from Ventura. It's a hipster place and yes I liked the big log beds, but I wish I had stayed at the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa up the road. Also no bar, restaurant or room service, only coffee and tea by Office.

Room Tip: Ask for a room far from the road because I don't know how anyone can sleep so close to the cars.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank MarthaMcCully

Travellers are raving about these Ojai hotels

Venice, California, United States
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The room we had was quite large, with an adjoining room that had a great whirlpool tub. It was conveniently located to the Ojai Valley Inn, where we were attending a wedding. The problem we had with the room is that it was very dark. It was all wood, which is pretty, but it doesn't reflect light very well. The ceiling light hardly gave off any light, in part because the ceilings are so high. I ended up leaving a couple of black objects (a fabric case and a battery pack) because I just couldn't see them. The mattress wasn't great; I woke up with a sore back. The staff was very friendly, and the price was good. For two nights, it cost us around $300, compared with $700 at the Ojai Valley Inn (even with the special room rate for the wedding). They have a pool, but we didn't use it. If I could afford it, I'd definitely stay at the Ojai Valley Inn, just to have access to the gorgeous facilities. The Ojai Rancho Inn is fine if all you want is a place to sleep. Bring a flashlight.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Geri-Ann G
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I take my job as biannual road trip planner very seriously! My girlfriends leave it up to me to find "the spot" for us to post up for a few days of relaxation, exploration and laughter. Ojai and the Rancho Inn was my destination of choice this trip and it did not disappoint. Our rooms were spacious and the beds were large and extremely comfortable. One room had a small, full kitchen set up and the other had a hot tub! (Not a jacuzzi bathtub...a full hot tub!) The inn appears to be an old motor lodge that has been restored and upgraded. The owners have obviously taken great care and pride in this endeavor. (The ceramic light fixtures were fabulous). If you are looking for something fancy, stay at one of the resorts in town. If you are looking for a fun and restful getaway in the quaint little town of Ojai, the Rancho Inn is the place.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank NANCY Y
Beverly Hills, California, USA
Reviewed 14 October 2013

If I could give this place a 3.5, I would. It's better than a 3 star, but not as nice as a 4 star. Let's be honest, the only 5 star in Ojai is the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa. That hotel is amazing. Nothing else in Ojai compares.

We stayed here one night for a friend's wedding. The wedding was at the Ojai Valley Inn, but we couldn't afford the crazy rates they were charging that night. When we learned the Ojai Rancho Inn was down the street, we booked it immediately.

This place is very kitschy. Very hip.

The good: It's SUPER CLEAN and well maintained. The location is amazing. Beds are comfortable and the staff is very friendly. Free coffee in the AM too.

The so-so: It's not the most comfortable. Bathroom is 'eh'-- not a luxurious experience at all. Lights are placed in strange places in the room.

There is nothing bad to say about this hotel, especially for the price. Next time we're in Ojai, if we can't stay at the Ojai Valley Inn, we will definitely stay here. :)

Room Tip: Try to get a room that is not right by the freeway.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple