“Quaint and Cozy” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, CA
“Quaint and Cozy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2009

The Ojai Rancho Inn is reminiscent of an old motor inn. It's in a great location just a block or so out of Ojai's downtown area, and even though it's right off the main thoroughfare it was nice and quiet. Check-in and check-out were a breeze.

Our room was very cabin-like with wood-paneled walls, high ceiling, and western/cowboy accents. It was furnished with a large flat-screen TV, which was popular with the 10-year-old. The beds were squashy and comfortable. Our room also came with a kitchenette containing a mini-fridge, microwave, sink, and table w/ 2 chairs.

Although it was clean, I did have a couple housekeeping issues: the carpet was stained, as were a couple of our towels, none of which were the same shade of white as any other. Also, our room was advertised as 2 queens, but was really more like 2 fulls; although the room was fairly spacious it was square, so 2 queens wouldn't have fit.

Despite these things, we enjoyed our stay. We were very comfortable and the price was right. It was a nice road-trip stop where we will be staying again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Los Angeles
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

Bottom line: this hotel needs new linens and it needs to be deep cleaned. The carpets were so dirty. At first I tried to ignore this but it soon became impossible. We woke up after our first night there, covered in bug bites and feeling allergic to the dusty room. Until there are new linens and some serious housekeeping, I will not be returning.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LATravelArt

Travellers are raving about these Ojai hotels

Los Angeles
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2009

I booked my visit by contacting the facility directly. It took several calls over several days to get confirmation by email. When we got there the daily breakfast was served between 8 to 10:00 AM. But it was always served late, the coffee or hot water was cold, and very few items on the table with no chairs and tables to sit on to eat. The rooms had malfunctioning smoke detectors, satellite TV, and heaters. The property was not managed properly and professionally. The shower would not drain and would fill up with standing water. The carpets were very dirty and the towels were dingy white. Not a good experience.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — comfort, service, cleanness
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
redonso beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2008

My wife, toddler daughter, and I went to Ojai last weekend for a little get away. The pictures on the Ojai Rancho Inn(O.R.I.) website looked great and I chose the O.R.I. because I was interested in spending some pool time with my daughter. When we got to the O.R.I., I had a feeling that I had made a mistake in choosing this hotel. After I saw the condition of the pool area and room I knew it was a mistake. The pool area had construction materials all over the place, the pool was cold and appeared to have quite a bit of dirt in. The door to the pool area even had not so nice sign on it from Ventura County. The rooms appeared dirty and the decor reminded me of a hunting cabin. After looking at the room and pool we decided to go to Ventura and stay else ware. When I asked the ORI to return my deposit they refused and they still continue to refuse. In my opinion the Ojai Rancho Inn has taken my money while giving me no services. I would not recommend that anyone stay at the Ojai Rancho Inn.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank redondosurfer
So Cal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2008

The outside is a drive up to your door type motel. First impression - UH-OH!!

Carpet was dirty, Bed covers were dirty, Pillow missing, no remote for Direct TV (imagine having to browse 700+ channels without a remote). Kitchenette area dirty. Crack running across the entire bathroom floor. The pool and jacuzzi were gross. We had heard that they had spent miliions in renovations - I would hate to see it before they did that.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2007

The hours of the place are short- they're only open until 9:00, and only have one person working there.

Room was quite large and had an excellent large flat-screen TV with satellite TV. They had no way to get movies though- you couldn't buy them, even though the satellite system tempted that they were available.

Bathroom was fine. Little kitchen was helpful. Blinds felt old and didn't keep out the light.

Overall, it was fine. We spent $150 per night, which is really a lot for a basic motel. "Continental Breakfast" was instant oatmeal. I'd stay here again, but I wouldn't be excited about it.

• Liked — The TV
  • Disliked — No movies available
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
Pasadena
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2007

I used to stay here under the old ownership, and loved it. The last time I stayed here the health dept. boarded up the pool. The receptionist didn't even bother to tell me that morning when I booked
the room. They did not offer me a refund. This place has turned into a dump. Need I say more. The gardens have been let go. The owner neither knows how or cares to deal with clients.

Stayed November 2006
1 Thank froggy01
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojai
Casa Ojai Inn
#5 of 5 in Ojai
Crowne Plaza Ventura Beach
BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn of Ventura
Ojai Valley Inn & Spa

Been to Ojai Rancho Inn? Share your experiences!