“Trying, but a long way to go.”
Review of Ojai Rancho Inn

Ojai Rancho Inn
Ranked #7 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
santa barbara
“Trying, but a long way to go.”
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Their website is very beguiling, but unfortunately does not show the property in its current state. The hotel and room decor is 'fifties Cowboy Western....not unpleasant. We had made reservations on-line based on the photos we saw on the site. We were drawn-in by the price of 89.00 for a standard king room. Upon arrival we found the room to be small --- there was a small alcove which we had assumed would have had a sitting area based on the photos, but was - instead - filled with a bunk bed....the king bed in the main room took up most of the room...there were no chairs or table. The bathroom was clean and adequate and the room, although clean, was just too cramped for our two-night stay. There were no premium king rooms available, so we were offered their garden cottage....although we were now there right at check-in time (3:00) that room had neither been cleaned nor made up, but we were offered an acceptable 'upgrade' for that room and took it. The room was all knotty pine, roomy, well furnished and the A/C worked wonderfully. The bathroom was large and well-appointed although a few of the fixtures were slightly loose and had obvious signs of wear. But, at our mid-week of price of 129.00 a night we felt 'you get what you pay for' and we overlooked the broken venetian blind, and broken bedsite lamp switch. The linens and towels were clean. Our major disappointment was the pool. There were only six well-used and stained lounge chairs, no umbrellas, no tables, and the in-ground spa was inoperative --- with about a foot of dirty stagnant water in the bottom with a tarp. clumsily thrown over the spa. The grass area around the pool needed care. The painted pool deck was very cracked and broken in spots, and the pool badly needly a good cleaning with the poo-vac....and the skimmers didn't seem to be working well enough to keep the surface clean. The pool was not heated. There were no pool-towels available (we brought our own!). The lawn and rose garden on the other side of the garden cottage was very nice and a big plus as we had our two dogs (there is, I add positively, no additional charge for dogs). The continental breakfast was certainly adequate and served nicely in the motel office. I would hope the owners take the opportunity to really deep-clean and look with a critical eye towards sprucing the property up....so it matches the website....if it looked like that they would have a winner.
Jay Santa Barbara

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Don't let the charming look of the outside fool you! After checking in to The Ojai Rancho Inn and after getting settled, I decided to check out the pool. I was told there was a code but when I tried to open it, it wouldn't work. (Red Flag Number one) I decided to not worry about it and head off to dinner. When I got back, my girl friend and I went into our room. When we pulled down the cattle ranch themed comforter there were large, white visible stains (Red Flag number two). We called the front desk from my cell phone, since there is no option to call from the phone that is inside the room, which I found very odd (Red Flag Number Three). The front desk worker told us to come and she would give us a new room. We agreed because surely, the chance of us getting another dirty room, was just not believable. After checking into room number 2, we pulled down the comforter and there were no white stains! HOORAY! I guess we celebrated too early because when we pulled down the white sheets, there was blood on them (Red Flag Number Four). My girlfriend said maybe it was a stain, but when she checked the mattress, there was the same stain which told us, the bed sheets hadn't been changed! GROSS! We marched to the front desk and told the front desk worker that the 2nd room, was just as bad. She apologized again (She did that a lot that night) and gave us the "Cottage House" on the back of the property, which she informed us was great because "People pay $200 for this room." So we got the new room keys and headed to the back of the property which was very dark. There was no outside porch light and there was a plastic water bottle on the outside of the cottage. We went into the cottage house and it had a weird smell coming from the fire place. We immediately checked the sheets and found them to be clean. The top of the mini-fridge has spilled sugar or powder on it, so that wasn't clean. However, just thinking about the other rooms disgusted us both and we tossed and turned all night. We checked out very early. The hotel could be cute and quite charming, but whoever is managing it, is not doing a great job and they are really lowing the bar for the hotel establishment in Ojai. I cringe at the thought of that hotel. I just warn people, DON'T be fooled by the pictures on the internet. STAY AWAY. BOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2BeansTraveling

Travellers are raving about these Ojai hotels

Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 18 April 2009

The Ojai Rancho Inn is reminiscent of an old motor inn. It's in a great location just a block or so out of Ojai's downtown area, and even though it's right off the main thoroughfare it was nice and quiet. Check-in and check-out were a breeze.

Our room was very cabin-like with wood-paneled walls, high ceiling, and western/cowboy accents. It was furnished with a large flat-screen TV, which was popular with the 10-year-old. The beds were squashy and comfortable. Our room also came with a kitchenette containing a mini-fridge, microwave, sink, and table w/ 2 chairs.

Although it was clean, I did have a couple housekeeping issues: the carpet was stained, as were a couple of our towels, none of which were the same shade of white as any other. Also, our room was advertised as 2 queens, but was really more like 2 fulls; although the room was fairly spacious it was square, so 2 queens wouldn't have fit.

Despite these things, we enjoyed our stay. We were very comfortable and the price was right. It was a nice road-trip stop where we will be staying again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2009

Bottom line: this hotel needs new linens and it needs to be deep cleaned. The carpets were so dirty. At first I tried to ignore this but it soon became impossible. We woke up after our first night there, covered in bug bites and feeling allergic to the dusty room. Until there are new linens and some serious housekeeping, I will not be returning.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LATravelArt
Reviewed 17 February 2009

I booked my visit by contacting the facility directly. It took several calls over several days to get confirmation by email. When we got there the daily breakfast was served between 8 to 10:00 AM. But it was always served late, the coffee or hot water was cold, and very few items on the table with no chairs and tables to sit on to eat. The rooms had malfunctioning smoke detectors, satellite TV, and heaters. The property was not managed properly and professionally. The shower would not drain and would fill up with standing water. The carpets were very dirty and the towels were dingy white. Not a good experience.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — comfort, service, cleanness
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
redonso beach
Reviewed 3 October 2008

My wife, toddler daughter, and I went to Ojai last weekend for a little get away. The pictures on the Ojai Rancho Inn(O.R.I.) website looked great and I chose the O.R.I. because I was interested in spending some pool time with my daughter. When we got to the O.R.I., I had a feeling that I had made a mistake in choosing this hotel. After I saw the condition of the pool area and room I knew it was a mistake. The pool area had construction materials all over the place, the pool was cold and appeared to have quite a bit of dirt in. The door to the pool area even had not so nice sign on it from Ventura County. The rooms appeared dirty and the decor reminded me of a hunting cabin. After looking at the room and pool we decided to go to Ventura and stay else ware. When I asked the ORI to return my deposit they refused and they still continue to refuse. In my opinion the Ojai Rancho Inn has taken my money while giving me no services. I would not recommend that anyone stay at the Ojai Rancho Inn.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank redondosurfer
So Cal
Reviewed 20 July 2008

The outside is a drive up to your door type motel. First impression - UH-OH!!

Carpet was dirty, Bed covers were dirty, Pillow missing, no remote for Direct TV (imagine having to browse 700+ channels without a remote). Kitchenette area dirty. Crack running across the entire bathroom floor. The pool and jacuzzi were gross. We had heard that they had spent miliions in renovations - I would hate to see it before they did that.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple