“Absolute Worst!”

Ranked #7 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
Nevada City, California
“Absolute Worst!”
Reviewed 25 May 2010

The ABSOLUTE WORST motel that I have ever been to!!! My husband took a shower and the shower basin filled with water. I called the front desk to see if we could change rooms since we only had two hours before a wedding. I was told that they were full and he would call maintenance. Instead the young man from the front desk came to our room and poured drain cleaner in the shower basin. After fifteen minutes, the shower basin had not drained at all. I called the front desk again and this time I was told to “go ahead and take a shower and let the shower over flow and I’ll bring more towels.” I took my shower while my husband bailed water out of the shower basin with the bathroom waste basket.
We went to the wedding and arrived back at the hotel at 11:10 pm. Our card key did not work. At the same time, another hotel/wedding guest was trying to enter his room and he was having the same problem with his key card. The hotel lobby closed at 11 pm. The other guest called the hotel after hours emergency line. His call went no where…no one answered, the line just died. After trying for an hour, my husband and the other guest were able to enter the rooms through an ajar window in the bathroom.
I went to the front desk first thing the next morning. I explained to the girl behind the front desk about the events of the past evening. I asked her about the emergency line number and did not receive an explanation from her as to why this number is useless. She attempted to call the hotel owner. He did not answer and she left a message that a customer needed to speak with him. I am still waiting for a call from the owner.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank friendlyadvice5959

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Seal Beach, CA
Reviewed 16 March 2010

After reading some of the negative reviews found here we were very suprised to find our room in great shape, and with a jacuzzi tub!. I loved the bed, and how close the hotels location was to the downtown area. Staff was also very helpful with all requests. Would recommend

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 27 February 2010

Staff was very friendly; Rooms very clean and cozy without being overly cute; This is well run Inn; Continental breakfast wasn't much and they kept running out of coffee but that was not a deal breaker. There is also a very nice pool for summertime and the Ojai Valley Trails are accessible from the back of the property. No charge for parking, pretty much everything in Ojai is walking distance from the Inn and free wifi and iPod docking stations. This is a good deal! This is a must for those planning on staying in the area.

Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
Southport, NC
Reviewed 8 November 2009

There were many things we had problems with during our stay. I will say that the front desk did attempt to work with us but some things couldn't be fixed. The panelling was very dark and the few lights that were in the room were very dimly lit. We had coffee packs in our room but no coffee maker. The heat never did work and the shower had a drainage problem. The carpets were dirty. The fridge didn't work and there were very few hangers. Breakfast wasn't started on time. The positive was the close location to town and to the events we were attending.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Ojai hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed 31 October 2009

Charming exterior and rustic/cowboy decorated rooms, good location (about a block or so from Downtown Ojai) and quite affordable, only problem is NOTHING WORKED! Got booked into room 1 and the first warning was the key did not work so i had to get a new one. It was a chilly night so I went to turn on the heater NOTHING! I went to the thermostat thing in the kitchen and turned it up nothing!! Went to the kitchen mini fridge to put a soda in and it and a little note that said "NOT WORKING" On top of the microwave was a small basket of items to make coffee but no coffee maker! There seemed to be a housekeeping problem as there was garbage in ll the trash bins and empty sugar packets in the kitchen. Went to take shower and the temperature alternated from extreme cold to scalding hot. Went to try the air conditioner just for kicks and NOTHING!!!! The Direct TV wasn't working and I went to the front desk to complain but it being after 9pm the office was closed (I checked in later in the afternoon rather spontaneously so I forgot to ask and I wasn't informed of this.) The phone didn't have any information on how to contact anyone for anything and the phone kept flashing like someone was calling or on hold but no one was on the other line. Had a horrible night's sleep due to the room being cold and horrible banging noises all night (sounded like people were walking on the roof or working all through the night.) I don't like giving negative reviews but these are all major problems.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 18 August 2009

If you wikipedia (yes, it's a verb... and who uses the encyclopedia these days anyway?) the word "FAIL", you're more than likely to come across a picture of the Ojai Rancho Inn, particularly room #7.

Seeing that we didn't have the one gajillion dollars to spend on one night at the Ojai Valley Inn around the corner, we decided to spend the night here because of its proximity to that place for a wedding last weekend. EPIC MISTAKE.

Room #7 was situated about 15 feet away from the main road, and not that the main road compares to the 405 by any means... it was just a little weird for them to place us there, considering how empty the hotel looked in the first place (there were about 3 other cars in the lot when we arrived... and maybe 3 more later at night).

The room was fine when we checked in, but 3 hours later, we walked back in only to find a HORRIFIC smelling room. At first I thought the toilet overflowed, but it turned out to be something with the shower drain. Apparently while we were out at the wedding ceremony, they had poured sulfer down the shower drain since the water wasn't going down well. The girl at the front desk let me know it would go away in an hour or so, and in the meantime, she sprayed some kind of Febreeze-ish thing on the carpets to try to mask the smell. We trusted her and headed out back to the Ojai Valley Inn to catch the wedding reception. HUGE MISTAKE.

We came back to the room a little after midnight only to find that not only did the sulfur smell NOT go away... it came back with a vengeance!! No one was at the front desk (apparently it's closed after midnight), so we slept with the ceiling fan on and all the windows open (I literally felt nauseous the entire night because of the smell).

I ended up complaining to the frost desk in the morning, and this is the response I got:

"Yeah, we know. We're working to get that fixed. We're actually going to get the carpets cleaned tomorrow."

GENIUSES... if you had known about the problem, why even have people stay in that room in the first place?

For all you who are looking to save money by not staying at the Ojai Valley Inn, DO NOT stay here. Save yourself the trouble and nausea by going a bit further down the street to one of the better quality, better priced inns.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
santa barbara
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Their website is very beguiling, but unfortunately does not show the property in its current state. The hotel and room decor is 'fifties Cowboy Western....not unpleasant. We had made reservations on-line based on the photos we saw on the site. We were drawn-in by the price of 89.00 for a standard king room. Upon arrival we found the room to be small --- there was a small alcove which we had assumed would have had a sitting area based on the photos, but was - instead - filled with a bunk bed....the king bed in the main room took up most of the room...there were no chairs or table. The bathroom was clean and adequate and the room, although clean, was just too cramped for our two-night stay. There were no premium king rooms available, so we were offered their garden cottage....although we were now there right at check-in time (3:00) that room had neither been cleaned nor made up, but we were offered an acceptable 'upgrade' for that room and took it. The room was all knotty pine, roomy, well furnished and the A/C worked wonderfully. The bathroom was large and well-appointed although a few of the fixtures were slightly loose and had obvious signs of wear. But, at our mid-week of price of 129.00 a night we felt 'you get what you pay for' and we overlooked the broken venetian blind, and broken bedsite lamp switch. The linens and towels were clean. Our major disappointment was the pool. There were only six well-used and stained lounge chairs, no umbrellas, no tables, and the in-ground spa was inoperative --- with about a foot of dirty stagnant water in the bottom with a tarp. clumsily thrown over the spa. The grass area around the pool needed care. The painted pool deck was very cracked and broken in spots, and the pool badly needly a good cleaning with the poo-vac....and the skimmers didn't seem to be working well enough to keep the surface clean. The pool was not heated. There were no pool-towels available (we brought our own!). The lawn and rose garden on the other side of the garden cottage was very nice and a big plus as we had our two dogs (there is, I add positively, no additional charge for dogs). The continental breakfast was certainly adequate and served nicely in the motel office. I would hope the owners take the opportunity to really deep-clean and look with a critical eye towards sprucing the property up....so it matches the website....if it looked like that they would have a winner.
Jay Santa Barbara