“Ver nice will stay again”

Su Nido Inn (Your Nest In Ojai)
Ranked #6 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
Claremont, California
“Ver nice will stay again”
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a short overnight stay while visiting Ojai. The Inn was a beautiful Spanish style Inn with nice tile work, a beautiful little courtyard with a fountain and an outdoor fire place. It was quaint and located not far from downtown. Our room was small but cozy the room had the basics, and a comfortable bed. The bathroom was lovely with Spanish tile, again perfect for the 2 of us for the night. Each of the rooms had a bird name however I don't remember ours. It was bottom level with French doors as main doors and opened right to CTR of the courtyard. We will stay here again it's very nice. I would like to see the other rooms.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We booked a suite at the Su Nido Inn and were pleasantly surprised at the amenities and comforts of this haven a couple of blocks away from the main street and shops. It was ultra clean, attractively furnished in Spanish style, quiet and private, and the kitchen had all of the things necessary for meals in if one chose (although we found many nice restaurants in town).
Our suite was the Peacock Suite and the bathroom with large tub and separate shower was impressive. The bed was good. The sitting room was small, but seated a small group comfortably and had a small desk which was nice. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I never had a chance to stay in Ojai until about 15 months ago. Since that time my wife and I have stayed at three very different properties of which Su Nido Inn is the latest.

At nine rooms and only three years of age, this certainly isn't the luxury of Ojai Valley Inn & Spa. Then again, it isn't the quaintness of the Lavender Inn, a B&B right around the corner from this property which offers some amenities (breakfast, wine & cheese, quaintness, quiet) that this property does not.

I would call Su Nido Inn a semi-luxury boutique hotel. Semi-luxury because I think it pats itself on the back for some things that really aren't that special, but which remain nice touches. For example, as we received a quick tour of our room from our host, she pointed out there were "complimentary snacks and beverages." Okay, that is cool but what that refers to is two bottles of water, two bottles of Hansen's juice, two fruit breakfast bars and two granola snacks. I guess if you eat them they will replenish them (we didn't have our room cleaned the two nights we were there) but while that is better than a poke in the nose, I am not sure that qualifies as huge gift.

The rooms are undeniably luxurious as compared to standard hotel room accommodations. Not Ritz Carlton luxurious, or Four Seasons luxurious, but luxurious from the standpoint of lots of room both in the bedroom and the adjoining living room. The bathroom is pretty standard hotel fare although ours had both a bathtub and separate, good sized, shower. The rooms are connected by a short hallway where the aforementioned snacks are along with a refrigerator, microwave, sink and cabinets filled with a Noah's Ark of utensils; two dinner plates, two dessert plates, two coffee cups, two water glasses, two forks, two spoons, two knifes and assorted pots and pans.

The rooms are situated around a central courtyard with its bubbling fountain. During our stay many of the guests (six rooms were occupied by one senior group of weekend golfers) came out to drink their own wine with cheese & crackers. That made it feel a little more bed & breakfasty. A nice feature as far as I was concerned.

Another nice feature for such a small property was a vending machine that dispensed all kinds of snacks and drinks. From candy bars to chips for snacks, from water to sodas for beverages, this was a nice amenity to have on site, even if we never used it.

I believe one of the innkeepers said there were six suites and three standard rooms. Our promotional offer for $299.00 for two nights provided us with a suite, The Raven Room, which was downstairs, provided us with quick access to the courtyard. I could see a couple of the upstairs rooms had a balcony, some of the downstairs rooms had private patios. Absent the promotion, standard rates on AAA or AARP were only about $20.00/night more so this very nice inn is very competitively priced, especially for thsi size of room that you get.

Perhaps the biggest advantage to this property is that it is right downtown. You are two blocks from the East end of the Arcade, the main shopping district in Ojai. Dinner or lunch is just steps away. The fact that this is not a B&B means you can explore some of the nearby breakfast options. You could park your car and enjoy a very pleasant weekend just by walking to everything.

The only downsides of this property were parking, privacy and street noise. There are nine rooms but only eight spaces for parking. So if you leave for any reason, you play musical chairs trying to find a spot. Plenty of street parking but even so, it is annoying to have to enter their parking lot, realize it is full and then back out to search for a safe place to park your car.

For some of the rooms, like ours, opening the blinds meant looking out into the common courtyard. We opened the blinds in our living room but not our bedroom because anyone could look in. It would have been nice to take advantage of the outdoors without having to compromise your privacy. Upstairs rooms obviously did not have this problem.

Finally, the inn is located on a residential street however it is at a four way stop. The street itself, Montgomery, is a locals bypass from the main drag. The main drag gets congested early in the morning when people are rushing to work, or later in the afternoon when locals compete with tourists to get home. While our room was insulated by the courtyard from this noise, I could tell some of the rooms on the street side were susceptible to the constant stopping and starting at the stop signs.

All in all a very nice property. They tout themselves as being the perfect solution for staying downtown. I am not sure "perfect" is correct. Given the limited options in Ojai, I would, however, agree that it is a very attractive option that you should consider if its quirks meet your needs.

Room Tip: Room location is critical. The inn sits on a corner so with only 9 rooms, it would be difficult to a...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank KenVicLee
UK
Reviewed 24 March 2013

First time in Ojai, and I have to say the town is a little gem of a place, if a little too sincere in its eco / hippy approach to life. We stayed in the Raven suite, which is great and wonderfully cool even on a hot day. The Raven suite is laid out with a small bedroom, large bathroom, tiny galley style kitchen and a seating area living room with a gas fire at the opposite end of the suite to the bedroom. Everything is in good order and very comfortable. There is also a seating area outside as part of a communal courtyard (you get your own table and chairs). One flaw we discovered is that there is a smoke alarm in the kitchen, which will probably go off if you use the included toaster and you like your toast well done. The other niggle is that there is some noise from the floor above, not a major issue, but still slightly surprising.

The staff were very friendly with many suggestions of things to do, and the overall stay was very good. Highly recommended for relaxing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 20 March 2013

I was visiting friends in LA for a week and I decided to take a solo side trip to Ojai, mostly because I had read a great write-up about Su Nido Inn on Jetsetter. Unfortunately I had missed the cut-off date for the special promotion, but they were kind enough to give me a small discount nevertheless. Very nice. I stayed in the Sparrow room, which I think might be the smallest, which was fine because I was on my own. There wasn't much space to walk around, but I sure didn't mind when I "hung out" on the huge, comfy bed the whole time! Plus, I lucked out with summer-like weather while there and didn't spend much time in the room anyway. If I were to point out anything that wasn't terrific about my room it was only that the bathroom, while spacious, had a bit of a mildew smell to it. Otherwise, it was a lovely, sweet place. And the innkeeper was incredibly helpful in suggesting just the right places to visit or try, ie. the perfect wine bar, renting an electric (!) bike, getting a massage at the cozy Day spa instead of at the more expensive and ritzy resort & spa (which i did visit for lunch .... very pretty, but very resort-y).

Room Tip: The Sparrow was fine for just me, but I think it would have been cramped with two people. I'd t...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank travelerinthesun
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed at the Su Nido over New Years Eve only. Staff was fantastic! Room was perfect. Was our second stay there and will likely keep coming again and again. WAY better than staying at the Ojai Resort!!! Confirmation code was 5320. Thank you again !!!

• Stayed January 2013
Falmouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Our first visit to Ojai was the most memorable part of our trip. We stayed in the spacious Peacock Suite which has a great layout, beautiful Spanish decor, french doors to a beautiful courtyard where we enjoyed our coffee in the morning and the most comforable bed of our entire vacation! We loved the bathroom which is complemented by artful mosaic peacock patterns.

It's off-season and it was raining so there weren't many people out and about. We had delicious pizza from Ojai Pizza and enjoyed wine and great conversation with some very friendly local folks at Barrel 33. Since we were only spending one night, we were disappointed to discover that the most highly recommended breakfast restaurant was closed on Wednesdays.

We'll definitely be back and requesting this room we return to California.

Room Tip: Peacock Suite is on the ground level with beautiful french doors to the courtyard
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple