“Excellent food & reasonably priced”
Review of Feast Bistro - CLOSED

Feast Bistro
Price range: US$12 - US$26
Cuisines: American, Italian, French
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Using mostly local food, our culinary team produces amazing worldly flavors in front of your eyes! Our open kitchen and cozy dining room provide the ambiance of enjoying a relaxing meal as though you are in your best friend's kitchen. Our intimate, pet-friendly patio tucked in the back of Ojai's historic Arcade is also a favorite spot to unwind!
Ojai CA
“Excellent food & reasonably priced”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

My Wife and I have dined at Feast Bistro many times and have never been the slightest bit disappointed. All the food is made fresh and the menu changes seasonally. It's not the biggest selection but it is more than adequate and by keeping it somewhat limited they insure everything is fresh and made to order. Service has always been outstanding and many of the tables inside have a view of the open kitchen where the Chef/Owners do their magic. The wine list is on the small side but again is very adequate and many of the selections are also available by the glass. There is also a selection of half bottles which one does not often see in a smaller bistro.

And the best part is that on Wednesday night all the full bottles on the wine list are half price. The locals all know about and frequent Feast Bistro but if you plan a visit to Ojai, this should be a must stop for your dining plans.

• Visited April 2013

Los Angeles, California, United States
“Interesting little find!”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

What I find interesting about this restaurant is that you can have a view by the front window and watch all the passers by, in addition to watching the chef prepare your food. Service was good, menu interesting, perhaps a little pricey for what is offered.
I would go again. My soup of the day was tasty and had a dash of mint in it, which made it suprisingly good.
I have a feeling this is a locals place and I can see why. I would go again as it offers a nice selection of dishes.

• Visited March 2013
“Friendly spot”
Reviewed 3 March 2013 via mobile

We had lunch here and enjoyed it very much. The proprietors are friendly and chatty; when we left, one rushed out to the sidewalk to make sure we had the walking map of this lovely town. My pulled pork sandwich was delicious and the service was excellent. Ojai itself is a great place to visit, with a beautiful setting surrounded by mountains and many fine craft stores. Recommended.

Covina, California, USA
“Yum yum”
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Steamed clams and mussels in creamy garlic, served with a hunk of whole wheat oatmeal bread. Reminded me of a meal I had in London, excellent seafood, enough garlic to destroy all the vampires in Ojai and fantastic bread for the sauce. Yum yum yum

Visited February 2013
Camarillo, California
“Bad management and poor service trump good food”
Reviewed 27 December 2012

This restaurant serves tasty food, but everything else about the experience was disappointing. When we arrived, we watched one waitress rush around taking orders for half a dozen tables, while three other employees stood around. Later when the place filled up it was all hands on deck, but I never saw the floor staff working together as a unit -- a sure sign of poor management.

More troubling was the air of snootiness in the room. The manager/owner doted on a handful of guests who I gathered were regulars, igoring the rest. My party didn't require extra attention, but the manager's time would have been better spent working the whole room, directing waiter traffic, backing up the bus staff by picking up dirty plates, etc. -- the things a good restaurant manager does.

As I was paying the check, one of the chefs came over and asked how the meal was. I replied that the food was delicious but that my meal (mushroom ravioli) had been delivered lukewarm. (I know the dish was good because I ate most of it for breakfast the next morning, this time hot.) The chef immediately looked at the floor, muttering in a hostile tone "ok, ok" as she left the table.

A good restaurant craves this kind of candor from a guest, and trolls sites like this one to learn what to correct to make the dining experience better. Most guests don't want to be perceived as complainers, and won't tell a waitress or manager what could have been improved, even when asked. When a guest offers constructive criticism, a waiter, manager or chef of a good restaurant will thank the diner and take the opportunity to kick the tires and see if the complaint has merit. Every well-managed restaurant undertakes this self-examination process as part of its corporate culture. It was no surpose that the Feast Bistro chef wasn't interested in feedback. By the end of the meal it was clear to me that this restaurtant isn't well-managed.

I would never go back. At a pricey restaurant good food should be a given, not something special. People come for an experience, not just a meal. The experience this restaurant delivered was well below average. If you are one of the in-crowd who is well-taken-care-of by management, bon appetit! For the rest of us wandering in off the street, there simply isn't any excuse for such bad management and service.

• Visited December 2012