“Wonderful”
Review of Ojai Retreat

Ojai Retreat
Ranked #4 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 September 2013

This was our second stay at the Ojai retreat. The first time we stayed in the Bella Vista room because it has a pull out sofa. A wonderful room and a wonderful stay. The second time we were also going to stay in the Bella Vista room, but we received a phone call from the Ojai retreat saying that they were having a special event and would it be ok if they changed our room.(They were concerned that lots of people walking by our room for a few hours would bother us.) We said sure! Our only requirement was that we needed 2 beds.....The only room they had left with 2 beds was their "Ojai Suite" room. Wow!!! They did not charge us for the upgrade and what a treat! Just a lovely, lovely room, fantastic view and our own private patio area! Just fantastic. We highly recommend the Ojai room! We highly recommend the Ojai Retreat!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Every time I stay at the Ojai Retreat i wonder, "How can it be even better than the last time?" But it is! The staff are constantly improving the already marvelous landscaping, breakfast, amenities! I just stayed again and I was again amazed at the incredible peace (!), beauty, and spiritual ambiance of The Ojai Retreat. Don't hesitate...it is worth every penny!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank TruthSeeker444
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We were in Ojai for a few days and decided to try the Retreat. After traversing some street away from the main street, we crossed a bumpy lane up to the retreat.

Checking was smooth and simply and we were directed to our room which was in the main house. After lugging the bags up the steps, the experience began. The room itself was large with a comfortable queen size bed. There were lights on both sides of the bed sufficient for reading in bed. (part of the retreat is that there are no telephones and no TV).

We had a pleasant lanai with a table with umbrella and chairs so we could site out in the evening or the morining. The grounds are condensed but set with beautiful views of the valley. Some rooms have a view of the valley or gardens. The place is very tranquil and has a calming effect.

The main house has several table and chairs for sitting around and a library of books about local history, vegetarianism and spirituality.

The morning breakfast is served in the big house and is very organic in nature. We sat in the outdoor eating area looking over the valley and watching the sun rise further in the sky. There were whole grain breads, and muffins, cheeses, and their own granola mix with fresh fruit mix.

A delightful way to start the day.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at the Ojai Retreat. It is just as I remember it….peaceful, positive, perfect.  Three years ago, I came to stay here by myself on my birthday.  I had done some research and learned that Ojai is known to be a spiritual town and if you are looking to get some inner healing, this is the place.  I ended up at the Ojai Retreat, a hidden treasure nestled on a 5 acre hilltop. The rooms have private patios with spectacular views.  It’s here that I enjoyed a break from my increasingly busy life to do nothing but walk along their nature paths, meditate and pray.  This place is tv and telephone free.  I was recently married and as part of our motorcycle road trip honeymoon, I made sure that the Ojai Retreat was one of our stops. Fortunately, we were married a week before my birthday so we were able to time it so that our stay at the Ojai Retreat fell on my birthday again. It was so nice to enjoy this gorgeous place with my husband. I highly recommend the Ojai Retreat.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed at Ojai Retreat for 3 nights and loved it very much. However it took me while to acually like the place.

First of all, the establishment is VERY simple. The pictures they have on the webiste is little bit deceiving. Don't get me wrong though, it is clean and beautiful place, but it's no resort.

We stayed at Ojai Suite, which is the largest and most expensive room. It was during high season and I spent pretty good amount for the room, so my expectation was high.

The suite was right next to the office, Literary 10 feet away from the office in the same building. I was confused when the receptionist told me that my room is "right next" to them.

When I walked it, it was dark and room was small and furnished like my grandparents house. But it was clean. But the bedroom was amazing. Windows on 3 walls looking over the valley. I fell asleep watching sun goes down and woke up with morning sun light. It was very beautiful.

My girlfriend and I are over-worked New Yorker and it was just what we needed. A place with no TV, No touristy attractions, just silence and beutiful mountains.

They have pretty good breakfast buffet but make sure to get there early. They seem to run out of food pretty quickly.

Other guests were very friendly and we talked guests from local area over breakfast table but some were weird artists. We tried to talked them but didn't even look at us.

If you need to get away and have an actual "retreat", this is the place.

Room Tip: Some rooms are right next to walk path and pubilc space such as library. It might not be a good cho...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My wife and I 'stumbled' across this location whilst browsing for accommodation in Ojai and thought it looked interesting and a little off the beaten track. We took a chance and were rewarded with a real treat. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was modern and clean, the breakfast was delightful and the whole atmosphere was one of peace and tranquility. There is no TV (a welcome change) but internet access is available and provides good connectivity. I'd definitely book again if I'm in Ojai.

Room Tip: The more expensive suites have better views but all suites have privacy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I decided to treat my daughter to a few nights in this quiet place to rest from a year of teaching in a stressful situation. So we packed up a few good books, an I-pad, and comfortable hiking clothes and took the Eucalyptus room in this property. The price was great for mid-week ($135/ night). The property is situated on top of a hill and is spread out with one main building a few cabins in various corners. Some of the rooms come with their own private patios (ours did). There are no TVs or phones, very basic and clean accommodations. The breakfast is included in the room price. They serve fresh cut up fruit salad, bagels and cream cheese, a variety bread basket, organic jams, scones, organic coffees and juices. You can have your breakfast outdoors watching a spectacular mountain scenery--very peaceful. They do have free Wi-Fi; so we were able to watch a Netflix movie on my I-pad one night. They are very helpful in the office as to giving you a list of eateries and local hikes and attractions. Excellent stay. I will return.

Room Tip: Stay in a room away from the Main Building! More secluded.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family