“Check for wildfires before you book”
Review of Blue Iguana Inn

Blue Iguana Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Ojai B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 January 2007

We booked a room well in advance of a two-night stay starting Sept. 24. Unfortunately, a huge wildfire broke out nearby after we made the reservation. We called two days before our stay, when fire safety officials had posted an evacuation alert for Ojai and the fire was within 10 miles of town. We explained our concern, as there are only two roads in and out of the area and strong winds were predicted to send the fire closer. Hotel would not cancel our reservation, and charged us $99, despite the danger. Will never book a reservation with this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank WashDCfrequentflier

Reviewed 15 November 2006

This was a wonderful find and was probably my favourite location of all the places we stayed on a trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco in August.

We tried to book individual hotels, and our stay here followed four nights at the Magic Castle in Hollywood, so it had a lot to live up to. The ladies in the reception were friendly and helpful, but a little disorganised - we have two children, but only the extra fold-up single had sheets. They were unable to find any spare sheets for the futon. Never mind, we improvised. We had booked room 5, which has a sitting room and kitchen in addition to the double bedroom. The kitchen was fantastic - well equipped and clean - so we could prepare food if we needed. The bed was probably the tallest structure I have ever slept on, and not particularly comfortable (very soft). There was also a small terrace at the back with a table and chairs.

The property itself has a lovely pool and jaccuzzi area, where we sat and recovered from the frenzy of LA. And there is another grassed area with tables and chairs and some outdoor games. Everywhere was very green, with amazing planting, which really complements the adobe style buildings.

We felt very relaxed at the end of our stay and we really enjoyed a couple of days swimming in the pool and just chilling. Ojai itself is a very laid back town in a remarkable setting. I would recommend a stop here for anyone doing the west coast trip.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
3  Thank herindoors
Reviewed 3 June 2006

I stayed at the Blue Iguana twice this year, each time for five nights. And each time I was impressed. The rooms are HUGE! I stayed in two different rooms and both were more like suites with seperate kitchen, bedroom, bathroom and sitting room.

The place has been very nicely decorated and the grounds are very nice. Very peaceful. The staff is minimal but friendly. Plenty of free parking.

The beds are VERY comfortable. Large towells and plenty of them. Good water pressure in the shower.

I was in Ojai on business and needed to get a good night's sleep and that's what really impressed me about this hotel. I slept better here than I usually do at home! I have a hard time sleeping in hotels but this one is somehow different.

The location is convenient to downtown Ojai and only about 20 minutes off the Ventura Freeway.

My only complaint with this place is that their wi-fi is terrible. If you don't need computer access while in Ojai, it's a perfect place. The hotel management told me they were working on upgrading their internet access. Assuming that's done, I'll look forward to returning to this hotel. Great value!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank Scott B
San Francisco
Reviewed 11 August 2005

After failinig to find any lodging in Ventura, my exhausted family toiled through the hills looking for a place to stay. At an intersection, we asked another driver if she knew of any place we could stay in Ojai. Sure, she said, and led us right to the Blue Iguana Inn and drove off with a wave. Miraculously, there was a room available on a Friday night! The landscaping, the folksy staff, the comfortable rooms, the art, the great pool all refreshed and cheered us immediately. It really was an oasis for us and highpoint in our vacation. Not to mention the great guests-we me a woman from the Bay Area (our home) who was a possible business connection for my husband, an animator,and also for me! A great hotel feels a bit like home, but also, comforts, inspires, and attracts like minded people. We will definetely be coming back. Thanks for creating such a fully realized vision.

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 20 July 2005

Stayed 2 consecutive nights here in July. Have stayed here many times before. The rooms are much bigger than a typical motel--more like a small apartment. Enables you to chill food or heat leftovers, make your morning coffee, etc. There is a free continental breakfast on some mornings, but I had to be somewhere at 8 AM, and it started later than that, so I was not able to partake of that. Construction is going on to make more units, which will make parking a bit more challenging, unless they add spaces. It will also further crowd the pool and cut down on sunshine or views for some of the existing units. All units are a bit different, so my experience only applies to the one I stayed in. There is a small table and 2 chairs in the little private outside area. The area was not clean--food crumbs were left on the table and chairs and there were used matches, and matchbook there when I checked in as well as the next night. I also found a bobby- pin (for hair) in my bed that I am certain was not mine! I went to the pool about 7 pm and then again at 9 pm on the first night, but the pool and hot tub were both full of very loud little children both times, so I left. The second night there was a very large and loud party going on that took in many units, including the one next to mine. People were drinking and smoking right outside my door, so at about 11:30 PM (the office is closed at that time) I asked them to please move the party or quiet down, as the next morning was a work day. There were very polite, but as soon as I went in, they just continued to party on. All in all, there is much charm to this property, but in my experience, it has changed over the last few years. It is less peaceful, and just not the quiet escape it was during the first few years I came here. It is not a bad place, and you could do much worse. However, it is very pricey for what it is. They have another property in Ojai that looks great, but is even more costly. A friend has found and liked a B & B in Santa Barbara (not too far) that costs less, has a little wine bar (the Blue Iguana does not have any bar)and does not permit guests under age 16. So, I think I will give it a try next month and see how it goes there. I happen to prefer staying in places that are more serene, less frenetic, and free of loud little ones. It depends on what you are looking for--this place may well suit your needs for extra space and convenience (located on main road into Ojai)with a bit of artsy charm thrown in.

• Stayed: July 2005, travelled on business
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded 3 August 2005

We are terribly sorry for the mayhem that surrounded this guests' stay. Unfortunately, we had a wedding party on site that had brought with them alot of children. Since they were all part of a big group, they were noisy, and unfortunately disrespectful. We repeatedly asked them to be quiet, etc, but they were just not respectful guests. For this we are terribly sorry. We make every attempt to maitain the quality and atmosphere of our property at the highest possible level. The Blue Iguana does accomodate children, but usually the vast majority of our guests are adults without children. Unfortunately, this particular weekend was an exception. Our other property, the Emerald Iguana Inn, in downtown Ojai is an adults only location.

Reviewed 8 March 2005

i have stayed here several times, as my son is in school in ojai

the rooms are wonderful, nicely decorated in a rustic but elegant style - the beds are sublime, with comforters and good quality bedding

the price is very reasonable for a single room

the owners also run the "green iguana inn," and in january, when i needed a room at the blue iguana, they were full and put me up in a suite at the green, for the same price as a single room

i always feel welcome and comfortable here - the rooms are clean and the bathrooms have good lighting

i love staying at the blue iguana

• Stayed: February 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 January 2005

We stayed at the Blue Iguana Inn Suite #5. It was like a one bedroom apartment. The kitchen had some pots and pans, dishes, utensil for your use. The fridge was stocked with some beverages that you can purchase. It also had fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and toaster. We went to the grocery store and ate at home one day. That was nice b/c I hate eating out every meal. The bedroom was spacious and the bed was very cozy with warm comforter. The bathroom was spacious too. The decoration was rustic southwestern. The unit was at the very back so it was very quiet. The place had a swimming pool and jacuzzi, but it was raining when we went so we didn't get to take advantage of it. The only complaint I had was that the Wireless Internet connection was poor. But most people probably aren't worried about that. For restaurants, we liked the Sea Fresh Seafood. Though the service wasn't what we were used to, the food was good for the price. I had the grilled yellowtail.

2  Thank joolz425