All reviews exercise classes low calorie main building cardio class tai chi spa services popped popcorn cooking demonstration healthy eating exercise room repeat guests summer camp mani pedi herbal tea better shape don't expect luxury can't wait to go back
Reviewed 20 May 2004

The spa is definitely geared toward women. One of my hiking buddies was one of the few men. He had a blast and was planning to return.
I lost 8 inches and 4.75 lbs in 10 days but I worked out, worked out hard. I think of the spa as summer camp for women. You can try different classes, or just relaxed. The food is great. The only time I was hungry is when I missed a snack period.
If you want to work out at high level impact, pick up the 10 lb weights or add a step to the platform or jump a little higher. If you want to keep both feet on the ground, the spa is for you. Favorite classes- hikes, belly dances, aqua classes and nap yoga (4pm stretch and relax yoga). Why did I rename it, someone always falls asleep... how about that for relaxing. I have been there twice and I will go back.

17  Thank Roam37686
Reviewed 11 May 2004

I've stayed at the "Oaks" twice and if my budget allowed me, I'd be there once each season. It's a great place to either re-activate your body or just relax. You are offered non-stop activities which include hiking, aqua fitness, aerobics, yoga and weight lifting. On the other hand, you can also elect to spend your day lounging and/or getting massaged. I found the food to be delicious, albeit low in fat. The last time I visited, I took my 'slim' husband. The restaurant provided him with extra helpings so that he wouldn't fade away. He was one of the few men there but he didn't seem to mind. In fact, I think he liked the attention. While I did yoga, he went on a wine tasting tour at a nearby vineyard with some of the ladies.

11  Thank Compass16348
Reviewed 14 May 2003

Okay, I didn't expect the place to be fancy. The price is pretty low for an all inclusive spa and they warned me that the rooms were pretty barren. First, they put us in the wrong room: They took the nice room we booked, gave it to another couple (I think it was the only rennovated room and they won the trip on Regis and Kelly) and put us in a tiny room with two twin beds. They were very nice about it and upgraded us to a nicer room at the base cost. The food was pretty god-awful, but that wasn't so bad: I"m mean, you're there to lose weight, right? The biggest problem with the place is that it's totally not male friendly. During our arrival tour, the manager told my boyfriend he was a "thorn among the roses." There was only one other man there. Also, the spa (jacuzzi, steam room, sauna) is women only until 7 p.m. I definitely do not recommend this place to couples. This is really a place for older, over-weight women who want to walk around in PJ's and not worry about men...which is fine if you aren't a man. The classes are pretty low impact, so it's not a great place for fitness nuts either (although they had some nice hiking). Ojai was beautiful and we ended up renting a boat (with cheese, bread, wine, and everything else the Oaks forbids) and spending the day on a nearby lake, so it wasn't a total bust.

37  Thank Paradise30277