All reviewsexercise classeslow calorielose weightmain buildingcardio classtai chispa servicespopped popcorncooking demonstrationhealthy eatingexercise roomspa foodrepeat guestssummer campmani pediherbal teabetter shape
Reviewed 12 March 2007

Recently spent one night at the Oaks during a short touring vacation of the Ojai/Ventura area.

Did not book in advance so received a 'cottage in the garden' at walk in rate of $120.00. There was a most strange booking in system - at the Reception we were told to go to the office; at the office we were told to go to Reception ?? All our credit card information was written down by hand and then we were told to wait while it was "put into the computer"

The cottage room proved to be a room in a single-level block of 4 rooms. I noticed that across the way was a block of 3 rooms in adobe style so they may be the updated ones; ours certainly was not. The block probably dated from the 70's and was in need of fresh paint and repair work. Room had 2 beds, a stained armchair, TV in worn armoir and small table and 2 dining chairs. All were old and tired. Decor was brown and beige. The bathroom was the oldest I have ever been in. The bed was comfortable and as hubby said "it will do for one night" However we learned at 12 midnight that there was no soundproofing when our neighbours came in. They were not shouting or being particularly noisy but we heard every word. It was only when we started to talk rather energetically that they realised their conversations were being overheard and quietened down. How guests stay here for a spa vacation is beyond me. The inclusive breakfast comprised either shredded wheat or oatmeal with fat free milk, slices of pineapple with (in my case) slightly mouldy grapes and heavy duty muffins. I understand that the rooms in the main building have been updated but the majority of the resort is old and well passed its sellby date. We also found parking difficult and the streets on both sides of this establishment are very noisy.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
7  Thank Jennyx
Reviewed 12 March 2007

Rude front desk staff except for Pamela and Tracy.
NO Customer service at all.
Be sure to ask questions but that may not matter. I will tell you the staff told me that service were included in our stay. So I booked two but when we checked out I was surprised to see the charges on my bill. When I questioned the charges all they would say was “you should have known”. But when I said the staff member told me they were included and the staff member even admitted she said that and they still would not take off the charges. Oh well so much for customer service.

The food was quite good as far as low cal low fat food goes.
The workout classes were great (pool, mind and body, stretching, hula, dance, and the ball classes) I wish they would put some time to train the front desk staff to be as customer service oriented as the workout staff. The workout staff will stay after class to answer any questions you might have about the exercises.

We had a great time playing Bingo with Cherie one of the cooks. Cherie is so into I love Lucy and has great trivia questions during bingo. BINGO is a must.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
8  Thank dalibord
Reviewed 11 February 2007

I have never written a review before, but I just returned from my stay there and felt compelled to post something now. My girlfriends and I wanted a relaxing vacation and this was NOT it. Some things that we were unaware of are 1. It's predominantly women clientele; 2. The age range skews slightly older; 3. The menu varies but is actually quite good; 4. There are no robes or slippers for the spa or the pool or anything. Unfortunately, these discoveries do not outweigh the fact that we are all returning from our vacation feeling violated and very much not relaxed! Long story short, my car was broken into on the property in the middle of the night. Although the on-site manager was horrified that this could occur, the overall staff there was NOT helpful in dealing with the aftermath. In fact, one staff member asked if he could go on break before helping us deal with the broken glass and cleanup. Another staff member asked that I not use my cell phone to call for help since it is a cell free property. When we requested a late check out so we could deal with the repercussions of the incident, we were told that we could store our stuff in the day spa rather than have the extra hour (ultimately we were allowed longer time because the next guest wasn't due until the next day, but it was still appalling to hear considering the break-in occurred on their property). We were not offered compensation, if anything, we felt like we were being asked to leave quietly so other guests would not be alerted to the vandalism. As a small sidenote, after hanging my almost-dried swimsuit in the shower overnight, we returned back to the room after breakfast, we found that the housekeeping staff cleaned the shower and did not work around the hanging suit. Instead, the suit was drenched and stained with some sort of chemical leaving it a disgusting orange and therefore unwearable (so who knows what they are using to clean each room -- beware!). So if you do decide to go to this resort, PLEASE bring more than one suit and more importantly, bring a club or some sort of security device for your car. Also request that the hotel add security to the property as there are several parking lots which are small, unlit and VERY unsafe. Don't say you weren't warned...

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with friends
10  Thank SG1Day
Reviewed 9 February 2007

My wife and I are writing this review because our review did not come out correctly from last time.

My wife and I give this spa a 10 on everything. My wife and I are massage therapists oursleves. We needed a good pampering for a weekend. We had 2 massages each in 2 days. Everything was wonderfull. Rooms were nice and relaxing. The people were great. We would recommend this spa to anyone.

This place is a little expensive but worth it!!!! You get what you pay for!!!

Thanks for a wonderfull time!!!

From James and Lilly Konakowitz

Stayed: June 2006
1  Thank mrtrainer
Reviewed 8 November 2006

I booked a 3 day stay at the Oaks. Because it was a immediate booking, I was informed that there was a 7 day cancellation policy, so if I cancelled, I would still be responsible to pay. No problem --I wasn't going to cancel. The next morning I received a call from the hotel telling me they made a mistake, and that the room I booked was not available. In fact there were no rooms available -- and they were very sorry. No free-night stay at a later date, just a "we're sorry." After escalation to the owners, the best they could offer was a 10% discount. Wow, if I cancel I pay $600 plus. However, they cancel and it's about $60 bucks. Not fair, if you ask me and the worst customer service I've seen in awhile. In the end, I went to the Ojai Valley Inn and Spa, instead. A beatiful place with some of the best customer service around.

8  Thank gw3090