“I did not deserve this”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Ojai
New Brunswick, New Jersey
“I did not deserve this”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I had no intention of staying here, my travel agent insisted I stay here for at least a night and I figured I would give it a try. After a week in San Diego and 2 nights in Catalina, my girlfriend and I were ready to unwind. Where to begin? As soon as you pull in to the parking lot, you realize you are rubbing elbows with guys that own yachts. BMW's, Lamborghinis litterered everywhere, valet service. Check in was 3, but we had arrived around 12 and were told the room would be ready as soon as possible. We were given pool keys and told we could use any of the Spa's amenities while we waited. We ate a delicious lunch and before we were done, I recieved a call that the room was ready. A ride on a golf cart from Valet guy Duncan, who was great, and we saw the room. Absolutely incredible. Huge, clean, perfectly conditioned, with an impeccable view. Did I mention how huge it was? Let's get one thing out of the way, this place is not cheap. For one night, I paid 400 dollars, with a 300 dollar hold on my credit card to boot. But at no point did I feel like I was being hassled, taken advantage of, or had things shoved in my face. The Spa is there, if you choose to use it. There are restaurants, pool bars, but if you'd prefer to spend the day in bed, nobody will give you a hard time. In hindsight, I wish I had reserved a spa package of some sort, but even without, the stay was incredible, relaxing, and we were made to feel like royalty.
The good
Service, Food, Pools(An Adult only pool!)
The views
Quiet
Nice Drive to LA

The Bad
Well, it ain't cheap
Can be overwhelming at first. Ask for a quick tour by one of the valet guys.
Hot as the Dickens. If you're new to the area, it's a different kind of hot. Your cell phone may tell you it's 86 degrees, but it will feel like 106.

The Ugly
Nothing

Room Tip: I'm sure there is not a bad room anywhere there.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julian U
OjaiResort, Guest Relations Manager at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you Julian U for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others. Happy to hear your Travel Agent encouraged you to stay with us and enjoy our property.

Thank you for recognizing Duncan in your review as we will be sure to acknowledge his efforts in making your stay memorable.

Please consider us next time when you are planning your California vacation!

Director of Guest Relations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (517)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed here for a friend's wedding, and we had such a great stay. Everything exceeded our expectations. The rooms were a decent size with views of the green mountains, and it was all so pretty and peaceful. The resort is kind of large, so there are golf carts that can come and pick you up to take you to other areas, but we walked during our stay.
There is a family pool and then an adult only pool, so no matter why or who you're going with on vacation, there's a pool to suit each kind of traveler. They have trails for running as well as bikes that you can rent out, and although the gym is downstairs at the spa, it's a decent size with towels laid out on all the machines and water bottles to take if needed. The spa classes looked great, although we didn't get a chance to participate in one, and the golf course looked gorgeous. The actual spa was one of the nicest spas I've ever seen - we opted to take part in the private Kuyam treatment in the Spa which was such a different experience and really made our stay stand out from other trips we've taken.
The last night we were there our air conditioner seemed to break. We called and they sent someone right away to work on it. We had left to go to the pool for the day and came back to them still working on the air, so we called the front desk who said the entire hotel was sold out except for the presidential suite....which they upgraded us to for the night! They even sent up someone right away to help us with our bags since we had to get ready for the wedding we were attending, and I couldn't be more grateful for them accommodating us and knowing the urgency of our situation.
Such a great hotel & stay - I wish we could've stayed longer and would love to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed in a Shangri-La Fireplace room and it was the perfect location. A nice walk to the spa, b...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you scirrek for your review of your stay with us! We appreciate you taking the time and glad you enjoyed your west coast trip for your friend's wedding. I am sorry to hear you experienced some challenges with your AC, but glad we were able to find a quick resolution to limit the interruptions to your stay. The Kuyam treatment truly is a unique offering and happy to hear you were able to partake in this special service.

We hope when your plans bring you back to California you will consider staying with us again!

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Went with my mom and sister for a girl's get-away. We only stayed one night, unfortunately. We weren't able to get a second night the weekend we were there. We enjoyed the Oak Grill for lunch and dinner. The food was delicious and the service was wonderful. Our dinner server brought us 3 different wines to sample as we could not decide on a wine. That was a nice added touch to our dining experience. I wouldn't recommend the vegetarian black bean burger at Cafe Verde. Not worth the $15...very dry and small. The spring rolls were delicious, according to my sister. She didn't share!

The grounds were beautiful, the rooms were very nice and the service very good. This is a great resort for all with adult and family pools, golf, tennis and very nice spa (block out several hours...it's a very relaxing experience.)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
OjaiResort, Guest Relations Manager at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you Leslie H for your review of your mom and daughter getaway. We are glad you had such a great time with your mom and sister and were able to enjoy a nice relaxing experience.

We hope you will consider making this a regular girl's get-away trip!

We can understand your sister not wanting to share the spring rolls, next time you will have to try them for yourself...

USA
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is a gorgeous hotel and an easy trip for someone in the LA area for a weekend. We came from the SF Bay Area, so it was quite a drive and I wish we could've stayed a day or two longer as a result. The grounds are stunning (Jimmy Kimmel had his wedding here I understand and one can see why! Check out the herb garden...)
Loves: The art program and instructor who is wonderful. My 6 year old daughter did a treasure jar in the art studio and it was one on one and my husband and daughter learned how to paint silk scarves. The little studio is charming and my daughter especially absolutely loved working in the space and learning new techniques. The grounds are amazing and it was heaven hanging out at the pools. Delicious smoothies. The zero gravity spa chair for my pedicure should be in all salons. Great to have a kids program also. The guy who drove us around in the golf cart went out of his way to be helpful. Very sweet older gentleman with a real way about him. Also, my daughter brought her scooter and this worked out well as the property is huge with fun paths to ride around on. Also, kids program counselor hand wrote my daughter a lovely card with a drawing on it and deliver the sunscreen she'd left with it to our room. Very cool.

What to know: Food is costly here so be prepared. This is not for everyone for sure. You'd have to go into the town of Ojai to get more reasonable priced meals. Tasty though. This can be an expensive get away in general. I wish the kids program building was closer to the rooms. It's quite a haul.

Room Tip: Midweek you can book a package that includes a room upgrade and resort credit. I'd opt for the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lunagoesglobal
Thank you lunagoesglobal for your review from your recent visit with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with others. We will be sure to pass along your comments to our artist at the Artist Cottage and our Camp Oak Counselor for making some memorable moments for you and your family!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the property in the future!

Santa Monica, CA
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We came here to celebrate our recent engagement as well as our 5-year anniversary. The grounds are beautiful and the rooms are nicely appointed.

We dined at the property's signature restaurant, Maravilla, and we wished we hadn't. The service was right on par with the property, but the food was MEH. We paid $150 for MEH. I could barely finish my meal, despite being hungry. I wished my fiance hadn't asked me, "You don't like your food, do you?", because I couldn't hide the fact that I didn't.

Also, we stayed in room 440, which was right above a generator of some sort. All day and night we endured an intermittent HUM, which made it difficult to get a good night's rest. We didn't complain, because we didn't want to go through the hassle of changing rooms. This would have also solidified the fact that our $460 room was not worth $460 and I didn't want to accept that.

We stayed one night, and with poolside service, breakfast, and dinner, we paid close to $1,000.

In retrospect, I can think of a 1,000 other ways I'd rather spend $1,000 in 24 hours.

Room Tip: Don't choose room 440.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SoCalGirl81
OjaiResort, Guest Relations Manager at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you SoCalGirl81 for your review. Congratulations on your recent engagement and 5 year Anniversary!

We apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations.

We have also reviewed your post stay survey with the appropriate departments to assist in the training and development of our team.

Our Director of Restaurants will be following up with you directly to address your concerns from Maravilla. I have also placed notes in your guest profile for locations on the property that may fit better for you for the future. Please contact me directly through the property when you have plans to return to Ojai.

All the best,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

In spite of the beautiful room and grounds, the experience was not 5 star or luxurious. Ojai has many nice enough places with much better value to offer. the service is not just there, not to mention lacking good organic foods. I suggest you consider your options!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bfantastic
OjaiResort, Guest Relations Manager at Ojai Valley Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you Bfantastic for your review. We are sorry that we were unable to meet your standards and expectations during your recent visit.

We know there are many options out there and understand that we may not be the right property for everyone, however we are always looking at opportunities to improve and enhance our product offerings to our guests. We hope you will give us a second chance in the future.

We wish you all the best,

Newbury Park, California
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

There are times when you just want to run away from home. This was one of those times. My sweet hubby had been traveling away on locations for television production a lot. Gone weeks or days at a time. Finally we said 'let's do it!" Yay
We live in the Newbury Park,Thousand Oaks area of Ventura County. We decided on Ojai and the Ojai Valley Inn . Not a long drive. Had heard it had really been updated. WoW. What a terrif decision. Were we smart !!!

From the moment we drove up our beautiful experience began. Gorgeous suite. Amazingly trained staff . Luscious views of green . The staff was so impressive. Everyone. The meals outstanding. I truly did not want to leave. My husband was actually impressed. Yay team. !! When can we run away again ? So happy. Thank you Ojai !!!

Stayed June 2014
Thank you BridgetOAdelman for your review of your stay! It was a pleasure to be able to assist you during visit and happy to hear you and your husband found the rest and relaxation you were looking for at the property.

Please remember us whenever you have the urge to run away from home again! We look forward to welcoming you back...

All the best,

Director of Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ojai
Casa Ojai Inn
Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore Santa Barbara
Ojai Retreat
Ojai Retreat
#3 of 9 in Ojai
Su Nido Inn (Your Nest In Ojai)

Been to Ojai Valley Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!