“Hungry and headed home.”
Review of Ranch House Cafe

Ranch House Cafe
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Olancha
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Santa Clarita, California, United States
“Hungry and headed home.”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We just finished a nice hike at the Mt Whitney Portal. Our hike for the day took us up to Lone Pine Lake at about 10,040 feet. Needless to say we were really hungry. It was Memorial weekend and Lone Pine was looking kinda busy. So we headed south for Olancha and the Ranch House Café. You can't miss it as your driving on the US 395. It is nestled in some trees and looks very inviting as you drive up. The food was good, the people very friendly. Good place to stop and eat.
John and LynNita Ellis

• Visited May 2014

• Polish first
Mojave, California
“When there is nowhere else to eat-works when hungry”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Although the dessert menu is almost larger than their regular meal menu, the Ranch House Cafe is located along Hwy 385 in Olancha. It doesn't have the greatest food (I got tuna melt and potato salad) but it is the ONLY place to eat for miles.

• Visited April 2014
“Awful Food”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Ordered chicken fried steak and I'm not sure what I got! At first look I thought it was a piece of liver. Very dark and terrible taste. Vegetables were over cooked and gravy was runny and lumpy. Cornbread was dry and way too much baking soda terrible taste. I was actually sick when I got home and I only ate a few bites of any of it. Sure wasn't chicken fried steak! First and last time I'll eat there!

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Ridgeca
Oxnard, California
“An insult.”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I drive by this establishment two or three times a year on average. Been doing so for many years, finally decided to stop in with some friends on the way home from Panamint Springs. I ordered a cheeseburger and what was supposed to be homemade potato salad. What I received was beef jerky on a bun and undercooked fries. The beef jerky comparison is not hyperbole. The beef patty was so overly cooked and dried out that it was nearly as thin as a piece of beef jerky, and, unlike jerky, devoid of any flavor. I might have been assuaged had I received some good homemade potato salad- I love good potato salad- but I was forced to contend with the undercooked frozen fries that I didn't order. I'm not against old people, but perhaps the elderly lady that served us should think about hanging up the apron. While on my way out of the bathroom, shortly after placing my order with her, she said goodbye to me. One of my companions- a young female- thought she was cute. The Aunt Bea act doesn't work with me, however, and doesn't pass for good service and advanced age is no more of an excuse than young age. Good service in a restaurant, at minimum, entails the server getting the order written down correctly, making sure the food she/he carries to the table at least appears to be what was ordered, and checking in after the food is served. And an unfinished meal should warrant the server asking if there was anything wrong. None of these things transpired, just the Aunt Bea schtick. But here's the thing: there are so few good places to eat along the 14 and 395 between Santa Clarita and Bishop that, had they won me over, this establishment could be seeing more visits from me, me and my family, or me and my hiking friends. But, alas, that will never happen.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank keltytrekker
“Great Food, Scenic, Wonderful Service!”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We always stop here on our way to Bishop Ca, food is home style, tastes great. Atmosphere is small town friendly. Seems like there prices are a little higher than I remember the last time we stopped here, but well worth it when you consider, atmosphere, and service. Highly recommended!

• Visited November 2013