“Very disappointing experience....”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Old Station
Hat Creek Resort & RV Park
Cottage Grove, Oregon
“Very disappointing experience....”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

My family and I recently rented a yurt at this resort. Upon check in, we were told that the bathrooms/showers adjacent to the yurts were closed but we were welcome to use a nearby portapotty or hike from one end of the park to the other to use the one available bathroom/shower facility. Upon hiking what seemed like a quarter of a mile, I arrived at the showers only to find that they were dirty and moldy with bathroom toilets that barely flushed. The showers did have nice, hot water but that was the only positive thing about them. Midway through our stay, resort staff repainted one of the shower stalls leaving only one working shower in the women's bathroom. At night the campground is not well lit. During my nighttime hikes to the restroom it was difficult to tell if I was on the road to the restroom or blazing a trail though someone else's campsite. Not cool. At check out, I spoke with the resort manager to voice my feelings of disappointment with my stay and while our conversation was quite polite, he was unapologetic and made no attempt to make things right. Regrettably, I cannot recommend the Hat Creek Resort and RV Park.

Room Tip: Yurts and tent sites are NOT convenient to restrooms and do not offer a dedicated outside hose bib m...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Grrrrrrrh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Orangevale, California, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My family stayed in the RV Park and had a creek side camp site.  The sites and park are well maintained and clean.  The staff helped us to our site and back into the spot right next to a nice deck that overlooked the creek.  Without even asking for assistance, the staff (maintenance man, Carl) helped us trouble shoot a cable problem (in our RV) and loaned us a waste hose support.  Additionally, the power went out due to wildfires nearby and the staff handed out free bags of ice to assist the campers.
The creek is lovely and my daughter caught 3 fish during our stay.  The creek was just steps away from the site.  We will definitely return here but I would recommend creekside sites on the backside of the campground.  We were able to tour inside one of the cabins and it looked nice too.
The only room for improvements I'd mention are that the showers were kinda icky (I elected to use the one in the RV instead).  Also, the sites are not well defined or marked.  Lastly, the water is on a pump system...so when the power went out, so did the water.  This was a bit inconvenient,  since we were not prepared for dry camping.  Perhaps they should consider a backup generator for the water pump...at least enough to run the community bathroom toilets.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank doggrowl
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The campground is set in a beautiful area; that is the only positive. The service was horrific, not all campsites have water and the one (and only) bathroom was disgusting. We did, however, have a port o potty near our site that was very clean. A family member rented one of the cabins and that bathroom was horrific as well. The toilet had obviously not been cleaned prior to their arrival (and quite possibly the guests before them) and the shower was full of mold.

Room Tip: The creek runs along the campground. While the sound of running water is soothing to some, the water...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jana12142013
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I recommend this place based on the location and the level of RV park maintenance. It deserves 5 stars for these features. The cabins are rustic, which is the reason for my 3 star rating. Just trying to set expectations here.

First, the good points about the Park:
-- Remote location, right on Hat Creek.
-- Quiet at night. You can hear the creek rushing by through the open cabin windows.
-- Well maintained. The cabin had the cleanest outdoor BBQ grill I’d ever seen at a campground.
-- Attention to detail. For example, while walking past the basketball court, I stopped to pick up the basketball that was left out for guests’ use. I was surprised to find it fully-inflated and ready to use. This is one of those things an RV Park might easily overlook.

Mixed review on the cabin:
-- Cabin bed was comfortable, and provided a good night’s sleep. It was pushed up against one wall, making it difficult for one of the spouses (me) to get in/out of bed at night when nature called.
-- Cabin had a full kitchen, with most dishes/utensils provided. Folks who intend to BBQ will need to bring their own BBQ tools, foil, etc.
-- Cabin had its own BBQ grill and its own fire ring.
-- Pet friendly cabin. Pets are not allowed to stay in the cabin unattended. However, there is no maid service, and we didn’t see any “pet police” patrolling the park, so we left our quiet, well-behaved dog in his crate in the room for brief periods of time while fishing in the park area, with no repercussions.
-- Nice knotty pine paneling inside. Worn piece of plywood adorning the small front porch.
-- The gas oven/stove was clean and functioned properly, but it was not vented. We opened all the kitchen windows when using the oven.
-- The room was generally clean, except for dust and cobwebs on the neglected windowsills.
-- The bathroom was small. A big/tall person might have a difficult time using the toilet, due to the bathroom configuration.
-- Plenty of scalding hot water from the unit’s dedicated water heater, which provides a satisfying shower when tempered with cold water.
-- The shower stall in Cabin 9 should have been replaced a decade ago. The coating on the synthetic shower surround has worn off in places. The surround is warped and bowed. Someone has tried to caulk along irregularly-shaped line between the shower walls and floor. There is a line of mildew following the caulking. A sad sight. The wood behind the shower walls is most likely in very bad shape.
-- There is no soap dish in the shower; no convenient place to set one’s toiletries.
-- The bedroom in Cabin 9 is poorly lit. It has a decent-sized closet, but access to the closet is impaired by a small tangle of extension cords running from one of the cabin’s few electrical outlets to lamps and other devices.

Summary: Staying in the cabin is better than camping. Much better. Just don’t expect a luxury room.

Additional notes on the location:

-- Dining options are limited. There is one café a couple of miles away with a good breakfast and an in-house bakery, but limited dinner hours and menu, and no adult beverages. They do, however, have a dog-friendly patio for dining. The next closest restaurants are 30 miles away in Burney. We made use of the cabin kitchen and BBQ grill during our stay, but…
-- Grocery shopping also limited. I stopped by the RV Park store 3 or 4 times during our stay, looking for basic items. None of the items I sought were available there. There is a store and gas station a few miles away which had a better selection of items, and friendlier service. During our visit, they had frozen Hat Creek Grass Fed Beef in stock, but few, if any, fresh foods. There is a Safeway grocery store in Burney.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RJ748
Fairfax, California
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We loved our stay at Hat Creek Resort. We stayed in cabin #1, which we thought was the best one! It was really well stocked with everything we needed for the kitchen, the bathroom was good sized, and the bed was very comfortable. The outside deck had a table with 2 chairs and overlooked the creek, which was peaceful and beautiful. It was a good size for 2 people

The location was perfect for visiting the surrounding area. Close to Lassen Park, both the main north entrance, and the Butte Lakes entrance; and close to Burney Falls. We thought the wifi worked fairly well, so no complaints about that.

The people that run it were very kind and helpful

Room Tip: Room 1 was the most private and was right on Hat Creek. It's a decent size for 2 people.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deb37
Manteca, California
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

What a serene setting. Gorgeous creek and very rustic. I am not much into roughing our, so the fully stocked cabin was perfect for me. The carpet in one of the bedrooms was very stained and the mouse in the cabinet had a field day with the dog food were brought. No worries, there was enough to go around. The towels were the best...not sure why but flimsy towels just irritate me..:) HCR is close to Lassen yet far enough from tourist crowd. Loved meeting the many PCT hikers and listen to their stories. The staff there was so very nice, especially Bill, the handy man. Loved our stay.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank SybilleW
Ithaca, NY
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

I made a reservation at Hat Creek on 4/21/13. Then we rerouted our trip plans and I cancelled on 5/21 for a reservation 6 weeks later. The resort kept $25 as a cancelation fee. DO NOT make reservations at Hat Creek unless there is no chance you will change travel plans. I have never heard of this before.

Stayed June 2013
#2 of 5 in Burney
Charm Motel
Charm Motel
#3 of 5 in Burney

Been to Hat Creek Resort & RV Park? Share your experiences!