“Very nice b&b”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Olema
Bear Valley Cottage
Ranked #2 of 2 Olema B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Very nice, cozy inn. Very friendly & helpful owners. Being served with a healthy breakfast was nice for a change :-). We would definitely go back. Also a great alternative to stay when visiting San Francisco.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aleachi

Reviewed 1 October 2011

I made a left turn off of Hwy 1 to get information on Point Reyes and there was the Bear Valley Inn. The perfect place to stop. Totally unexpected - what a find! Cute place. Drove into Pt. Reyes Station. Not much open by time I got there, but did pick up some Pt. Reyes Blue Cheese and Cracker and headed back to the B&B. Sat in the little garden under neath the apple tree and drank wine with the cheese and cracker and caught up w/my emails with their wi-fi. OMG – the Farm House Station restaurant, a walking block away from the B&B was awesome! DELICIOUS local oysters, peppery NE clam chowder and a molten lava cake that was all molten! Plus some TV for baseball games.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank JewelsR33
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We stayed here for one night and loved everything about this B & B!! It's only mins away from the town area and the visitor information center. The room and bathroom were spotless!! Our queen sized bed was extremely comfortable. No complaints about anything! Breakfast in the morning, was set just for us with a message from Amanda saying she'd back after her jog.

Pros: Location, service, comfort, cleanliness.
Cons: Not applicable because there were none!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bella1021
Reviewed 10 October 2010

I wanted a quiet, clean place to stay on the doorstep of Point Reyes.

It measured up in all respects.

The innkeeper was particularly friendly and forthcoming with useful advice.

My room had a shared bathroom, but this was not an issue for me.

The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable.

There are good restaurants 5 minutes walk away.

A perfect oasis.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank salterton
Reviewed 12 September 2010

This was not a cheap B&B, but it certainly looked and felt like one. The bed was uncomfortable with lumpy pillows. We could hear our neighbor snoring in the next room. The shower was so small you could not raise your arms without hitting the walls. The breakfast was awful. We are vegetarians and upon booking the room informed the B&B owner. The vegetarian option is the same breakfast less the single sausage link or bacon. One morning we were served one egg baked in a ramekin with a side of few slices of an old banana. The next day was two plain pancakes with a side of a few slices of an older banana.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MichaelNewJersey
Bearvinn, Owner at Bear Valley Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2010

We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our inn. Our property does not claim to be "sheek". It works for most people who are looking for a good place to stay near the Point Reyes National Seashore. I know this review will be helpful to other travellers as they make their loding choices in the area. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 4 July 2010

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights in the Poppy room. We were concerned at first because the bed had a huge sag. We mentioned this to Amanda, the owner, and she immediately took a look and agreed something was not right. Turned out the antique brass bed frame had somehow come apart, so Ken (the other owner) and Amanda had it fixed in no time.

Breakfast was served at 8:30 every morning, so if you're not an early riser, or want more flexibility this may not be a perfect situation for you. We managed, even though my husband is not generally an early riser. I think we also got to bed earlier than at home, so it all worked. Dawn, the innkeeper, prepared great breakfasts and was just as cheerful and friendly as can be.......gave us some good restaurant tips,too.

I think the other reviews pretty much cover everything quite well. We were very happy with our accommodations.......the poppy room has it's own separate very spacious bathroom with an old fashioned claw footed bathtub (which has also been outfitted with a shower). I did find the water pressure to be a bit weak when washing my hair, otherwise it was fine.

We enjoyed the common area for reading after breakfast or before bed -- LOVE those chocolate covered almonds!

If we return to Pt. Reyes, we would be happy to stay at the Bear Valley Inn again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank norsky100
Reviewed 25 May 2010

After reading the previous Tripadvisor reviews I was 100% sure I was going to love this place and I had very high expectations. Unfortunately, I only liked this place. My husband and I stayed in the Hummingbird Cottatge for 2 nights. The cottage is separate from the main house and maybe that's why we didn't have the 5 star experience. I originally wanted to stay in the poppy room but it wasn't available. Here's the pros and cons:

Pros
- Very clean sheets and towels
- Strives to be "green" in all aspects, which is great!
- Free interet access
- Farly priced for what you get
- Breakfast was great, very tasty and filling. Quality organic products were used
- Cottage was well stocked with tea, coffee, fruit, homemade & yummy granola & yogurt
- Nice to have a fridge & microwave in the cottage. There is also a 2 burner stove top & coffee maker
- Location is very close to the Bear Valley Visitors Center and Pt. Reyes Station
- Easy access to all areas of Pt Reyes National Seashore
- Fairly quiet location, although the property is on a corner lot and the cottage is very close to Hwy 1. During the day it can be loud but a night there is very little road noise
- The little interaction we had with the innkeeper was good and she was very friendly. Keep in mind, we stayed in the cottage and our breakfast was served separate from the main house.

Con's
- Very small sink that is used as a kitchen and bathroom sink.
-Not quite as clean as I had hoped. I am very picky when it comes to being clean! And previous reviewers raved about how clean this place was but that was for rooms in the main house. The cottage could use a good cobweb dusting and wall washing. There were several spots on the walls that were dirty. Also, several of the curtins had stains that looked fresh and woud come out once washed. Bathroom was okay, the grout on the bathroom tile floor is pretty dirty. Shower floor needs a good scrubbing too. It wasn't the worse ever and I was comfortable in my bare feet...not like a gym shower when you need to wear flip flops. I think part of why it isn't as clean as the main house is because the cottage isn't used on a regular basis. We found a few spiders which is never fun to think about when you sleep at night.
- My husband found the bed to be not so comfy. It was find for me. It was noisy, so if I needed to get up to us the restroom during th night, it was very squeaky
- Takes a long time for the wall heater to heat the cottage. During our weekend it was in 40's at night and the 1st night it was a bit chilly and didn't warm up until we left the heater on during the day while we were away.

Overall, I would stay there again as there are very few decent places near Pt Reyes. Although next time I would book one of the rooms in the house to compare.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Bearvinn, Owner at Bear Valley Cottage, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2010

Fair enough. It’s time for some spring cleaning on the high ceilings. I wish that we had been told right away about the bed squeakiness since the bed is relatively new and these are things that owners like to hear first hand rather than reading them on the web. I’m glad that overall the guest experience was good and thanks for the compliments. Any time information can be given face to face – guest to management - it is highly appreciated as most businesses like to attend to issues right away and we don’t always sleep in all of our beds or stay in all of our rooms.

Been to Bear Valley Cottage? Share your experiences!