Olema Cottages
Cottages at Point Reyes Seashore(Inverness)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$112
US$170
US$145
Inn Marin & Suites(Novato)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$204
EmbassySuites.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsvine cottagewood stovepoint reyessmall kitchenother guestsnestsunflowerchalkboardporchptbedroomsinkdvdshikingfutonconditionerprivacy
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed at 'The Nest' in Sep 2013.
It was a very enjoyable stay with everything there as promised and more.
First of all, Kelly is really responsive to the emails and any questions you might have. I totally appreciated that.
In addition to the nice, clean cottage, they had rain ponchos, small ice chest, umbrella, sheets that you could borrow - how nice!
Chickens, the cat, and the view of horses did give us a 'village' feel.
Collection of DVDs and books is not bad either.

If you forgot something, Point Reyes Station market is just a 5-min drive.
Feel free to go to the Bear Valley Visitor center to get all the trail maps. The beach is about 20 mins away.

Overall - definitely recommend.
Could be a little cheaper :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sunny M
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed in the Cypress Cottage for 3 nights, and really can't say anything that hasn't been said before, very relaxing, peaceful, and private. In the morning, I'd take a cup of coffee and sit at a table in the common grounds, and have chickens hop on the table to share my breakfast, if I let them. The only thing I would do differently is to have the TV receive TV channels instead of DVD only.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Victor63021
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights in the lovely little "Cypress" cottage. We were welcomed by the chickens and a cute sign on the cottage gate. This was our first time staying here and we found the cottage to be very clean and thoughtfully stocked for our stay.
We booked the "Hide-a-way" cottage, but received an email prior to our stay stating that they were experiencing some plumbing problems and offered us the Cypress at no extra fee. It was a blessing for us, since the Cypress had a nice little kitchen, a private fenced-in yard complete with a BBQ and outdoor seating. It also had a cute lil porch to enjoy a morning cup of coffee.
Stayed here to watch the Amgen Tour of California in nearby Pt. Reyes Station. It was the perfect ending to a week long trek of following the race. So relaxing.

Room Tip: The bedroom is in the loft, so if you have difficulty with stairs, you may want to consider another cottage. Bring your groceries with you, the local markets are priced high in this secluded area
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Skeddadle_Gina
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We recently spent 3 nights in Robin's Retreat, which is down the road a bit from most of the other cottages. First all the things we liked:

- This is a great spot and felt remote even though it was beside Highway 1. Road noise really wasn't an issue at night. In fact, the only thing that woke us up were two dueling Great-horned Owls in the trees above the cottage.

- The bedroom and bathroom of the cottage were both spacious. The electric heaters in both rooms kept the place cozy.

- Your proximately the the Point Reyes visitor center and other sites is great. Olema is tiny compared to Point Reyes station so nature and wildlife is more abundant (we had a fox run across the cottage driveway at dawn one morning)

Here are the things that we didn't like:
- When we entered the cottage there was a slight smell that my wife noticed (my sense of smell is not good and I didn't smell it). When we got home though we both could smell it on our clothes. It sure smelled like cigarette smoke and we had to wash all our clean clothes and air out our bags to get rid of it. But, I did not smell it while we were there so it is not too bad.

- The kitchenette is just a boarded up hallway (which actually isn't boarded up if you look behind the curtain.) This is OK especially because the cottage has basic utensils, a mini fridge, and toaster over which is all you need for breakfast and maybe even lunch. However, there is no sink. So, you need to wash your dishes in the bathroom sink which has no counter space so you must wash and dry every item one at a time.

- Despite them saying that there is no maid service, someone entered our cottage while we were out and tracked mud into the bathroom and around the toilet. We know it was not us because our shoes were off at the door the second we entered the cottage.

Yes, these are small gripes but for the price ($175+), I my expectations were a little higher. I would give the place 3.5 stars if I could but 4 would be too many in my opinion. We go to Point Reyes often and would likely look for a different place for our next visit since there are many places. The booking process with Kelly went just fine so we would even consider staying in one of the other Olema Cottages.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EDH_Traveler
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Our family divided and stayed in the Farmer's Parlor and the Cypress Cottage, so we got to experience both of these wonderful cottages over a couple of nights. Olema Cottages has added a new meaning to our family's vocabulary. When we say "relax", we now mean "Olema Cottages". The small kitchen in the Cypress is great for fixing light meals. The Farmer's Parlor has a small microwave, fridge, coffee maker, and toaster - great for quick breakfast. The Olema Farm House restaurant is an easy walk down the street. The visitor center for Point Reyes is a longer walk or very short drive of less than 1/2 mile. Enjoy the chickens, views of horses in the pasture, and the wonderful cats that I feel sure handle the rodent patrol duties with expertise. Kelly has done a beautiful job with this property and we felt blessed to have gotten a chance to experience her hospitality.

Room Tip: Choose Farmer's Parlor for romance, good views, and wood burning fireplace. Cypress Cottage is great for kids and has a nice kitchen.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family