“Great location, but overpriced.”

The Village At Squaw Valley
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 February 2014

After many trips to Squaw Valley, my wife and I finally stayed at the Village at Squaw Valley. The place is nice, but could use an upgrade. We only stayed here for one night but it is quite pricey for what you get. I have definitely stayed in less expensive places that are nicer and more up to date. On the positive side, if you are going skiing at Squaw it is a great location and it is fun to be right in the thick of things at the Village. They offer a ski locker, and you can walk to the slopes. I am glad I stayed here to have checked out the accommodations, but would likely stay somewhere else in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adam R
GenManager_11, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you for staying at The Village at Squaw Valley. I am sorry to hear that you feel our price does not match the product. I would love to hear more about your stay and rectify the situation. Could you please email me or give me call so that I can better understand your frustrations.

Again, I am sorry to hear about your stay. I hope you will give me an opportunity to speak with you personally.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I'd always wanted to stay here. It's so close to the mountain and seemed like it would be really nice. It was a bit of a let-down.

To start, it's expensive. I guess I assumed that the quality would be very high, considering the price, but it's really not. We stayed in a one-bedroom unit and it's very small -- almost cramped. The furniture is low-quality and kind of beat up. We were hoping to watch a movie, but there is only basic cable.

When we first arrived, our room had a very strong, perfumy smell. We went to the desk and asked to change rooms. They obliged (and the second room did not have the smell), but they weren't particularly helpful. The new room was in a different building so we had to schlep all of our stuff there, with no bell service in site. This seemed strange, given the rate we were paying. Our keys didn't work at first, so we had to again go down to the front desk to get new ones. It was a hassle. It took us over an hour to get checked in and settled into our room, and at no point did anyone working there do anything to ease the burden. If we were at a Best Western then I wouldn't have minded, but again, they are charging rates of a luxury hotel and the experience just doesn't match up.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Allison R

Thank you for staying at The Village at Squaw Valley. I am sorry to hear that your experience with us was not enjoyable. I would love to hear more about your stay and rectify the situation. Could you please email me or give me call so that I can better understand your frustrations.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We recently stayed at the village and had a fantastic time. This place makes skiing with your family, which is not always an easy, relaxing endeavor with small children, a breeze! We stayed in a two bedroom condo with 2 beds in the second bedroom for the kids, and 2 full bathrooms which was very comfortable and spacious. The kitchen had everything we needed-and was a full kitchen which we were ecstatic about-not just a kitchenette which we have had at The Resort at Squaw Creek.

The Front Desk staff was very helpful in giving us things to do when we wanted a day off from skiing. The bellmen that took us to our room gave us the entire low down, of where everything was, how the heat worked in the rooms, and got us settled. I read the other reviews about the heat and that was definitely a concern of ours, but it turns out that people seem to be impatient, and the hydraulic heat takes a long time to warm up and a long time to warm down. Unfortunately it seems to be a user error and perhaps the staff could put more signs in the rooms explaining this so that people don’t crank the heat up right when they get to their room. Thanks to the bellmen’s tip, this was not a problem for us!

We loved the yogurt place and made it a regular after dinner each night. My favorite part of this trip was not touching our car the entire week. We walked to the slopes, walked to dinner, and just walked to everything we wanted to do. It is the perfect ski destination! I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the nice review! We hope to see you again soon. We are working on a solution to help guest understand our heating system as we speak! The feedback is always welcome!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

We drove up for the weekend two weeks ago, right before the 'big' storm, so not too much snow. Nevertheless, this review is about our accommodations at 'The Village.'

Good:
1. Ski in/out
2. Convenient Parking underground
3. Easy walking to restaurants, shops, etc..

Bad:
1. Room was really hot, even though we turned down thermostat all the way
2. Tired and cheap looking appliances
3. Small, cramped jacuzzi/hot tub area...$20/day resort fee for this?

Read other reviews where people paid $300+ per night for a studio, and we must say is a real rip-off! Unless you get a 'deal' , i.e., < $200/night for studio, drive and walk a little and get a more comfortable room.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

We greatly appreciate your feedback. I had a chance to review the comments that you recently shared. I was concerned to hear about your experience with our facility and services. I would like to take this opportunity to apologize. We have discussed these topics with our Management Team and our staff and are working to improve our facilities and services. I understand this does not change your experience, but I hope that you can feel confident that we have heard your concerns and are taking strides to improve our operation. I truly apologize for your disappointment and hope you will give us another try.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

You can't beat the location of The Village at Squaw Valley. It's right at the base of the mountain so it's easy to peek outside and see which trams are running that day. Also, the beds were comfortable and I slept like a baby! The dishwasher and full size fridge were in good shape and we were able to cook a yummy steak dinner and bake some brownies for the kids. The hot tub in the snow was conveniently on our floor and I was impressed that they kept it extremely warm. Could hardly see the beautiful mountain for all the steam rising from the tub! The TV and DVD player were new and worked well. The furnishings were comfortable. The fireplace was very warm and dried out our snow gear efficiently.

But there were a fair number of disappointments. Despite or because of all the snow, most of the runs were closed on Saturday. And then on Sunday the entire mountain was closed so we drove to Alpine Meadows to ski. When we broke a wine glass, we asked housekeeping to lend us a vacuum cleaner. They said they would come by but they never did. When we tried to call again, we discovered that both the wi-fi and phone service were dead so we couldn't call housekeeping about the vacuum nor could we call the front desk to ask about checkout. When we walked to the front desk, which was in another building, we found that their entire computer system was down so they could not check anyone in or out. The keycard system was down too so they were forced to leave the garage open. This could have been a remarkable trip, but I have to conclude that we paid $650/night for convenience that could not be delivered on.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
GenManager_11, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I recently stayed at the Village with my husband and friends in a two bedroom suite. This was my second stay at the resort. The parking lot is located beneath the building, which is beyond convenient when its cold and snowy out. You can take an elevator with your luggage directly up to your room. I love being right on the mountain and walking out the door and onto the lift. The service was wonderful, including the option for Starbucks delivery before hitting the slopes. I would absolutely stay at the Village for our next Tahoe vacation!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! Your feedback is very much appreciated! We hope you will come back and stay with us again!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

We spent 4 days in Squaw Valley. The village is very quaint and relaxing. All the restaurants and eating establishments had their own unique appeal. We tried to visit each one and were never disappointed. Our room was very cozy. The staff were very pleasant. The skiing was limited due to the lack of snow but we visited Alpine Meadows on one day which had many nice trails open and I was thrilled on the last day that Squaw Opened up 'Gold Coast'. It was so beautiful on top of the mountain and we loved the trails that were open. We only wished what they wished... that they had more snow but we made the best of it and will def. visit again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the nice review! We hope to see you again soon when we get a little more SNOW! The feedback is always welcome!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Olympic Valley
Resort at Squaw Creek
Resort at Squaw Creek
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Squaw Valley Lodge
Squaw Valley Lodge
#5 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#8 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#10 of 65 in South Lake Tahoe
Red Wolf Lodge at Squaw Valley
Red Wolf Lodge at Squaw Valley
#4 of 5 in Olympic Valley

Been to The Village At Squaw Valley? Share your experiences!