“Excellent Accommodation But No Pool..”

The Village At Squaw Valley
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Olympic Valley
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco
“Excellent Accommodation But No Pool..”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Village at Squaw for 5 nights. Checked into a 2 bed condo requesting a quiet spot- after unbelievably loud noise and music from a nearby bar and several phone calls to the front desk- which the Village handled most courteously and professionally- they met my request for a free room upgrade to a 3 bed and a quieter spot the next morning. The bars are not part of the accommodation and apparently this night was the wrap party for the end of a weekend long yoga festival- with so the Village were limited in what they could do- i was impressed with their staff and their efforts to get the bar to comply with its noise permit.

The main problem with the Village at Squaw in the summer is there's no pool. Which would be okay if this was clear from booking on the website but it isn't. There's one at High Camp which is featured most prominently on the website- but it doesn't make it clear you have to take the tram up - and that costs $55 per adult. Yes- for a family of four it will cost you almost $200 to get up there.That includes a couple other activities but its still ridiculously expensive. There's no pool at the resort level- several hot-tubs including one large one heated to 85 for the summer- i guess a bit like a pool- but still. The website lists a pool in its amenities- one that you have to pay that much money to access and its only accessible between 11 and 5 to my mind is not an amenity.

The accommodation was top quality and we loved the rest of the area- but travelling with two kids we picked Squaw thinking there would be free or reasonably priced things for them to do in the resort- there really isn't. No organized games, ping-pong, and no pool. For that reason we would not stay at the Village again with kids. Other places there at Squaw Valley- eg the Squaw Creek Lodge, do have pools, so i think we'd pick those over the Village

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter.. ask about any special events happening in the village when checking in...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed in room 2-426. It was a corner room and surprisingly spacious. Had an extra alcove space off the den area with a murphy bed. The bathroom was big too, 2 sinks at the vanity. Very nice to have a sink to myself and not have to share with my kids. I had read reviews about these units getting hot in the summer. This homeowner had a portable A/C unit in the main room, plus a ceiling fan, and a very poweful corner ceiling fan in the bedroom. The village is noisy but the fan drowned out the sound.

The underground parking was nice and I am sure is a huge plus in winter. Check in was easy. My son wanted a $17 "smores kit" being sold at the front desk. I made him pay for it out of the allowance money he brought with him. Guy at the desk kept asking if I just wanted it added to my bill and I said no we will pay cash. Then it was added to my final bill. When I walked down to explain the desk person asked me if I remembered who checked me in. Of course I didn't, it was very busy when we checked in. He sAid he would have to check with his manager later to take it off my bill, but it finally was.

Overall nice stay but I don't think I would stay in the village again. Overpriced restaurants and a $39 fee (per adult) to take the tram up to the pool. We were given 2 free tickets upon check in but there were 3 of us. We opted for King's beach instead. $10 parking fee which is good for all Ca state parks for the day.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Beaumont, California
Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed a couple of months ago and it was fantastic. The room was extremely comfortable. The balcony was great also. The food, shops, hiking, biking, etc. kept us from pretty much leaving the resort grounds. We visited Tahoe once on our trip and decided it wasn't worth it. For all of the food and shopping we did, it was the least expensive trip we had in a long time. I was scared to see our bill when we got home but I was extremely surprised! Everyone was polite and we loved the outdoor movie night. We are planning to be back next year!

Room Tip: Request a room with the balcony that faces the "Movie Night". That way, you can watch from...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
california
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The building and village were great. But I assume room was 3-346 decorated by an owner. The furniture and decorations were gaudy & tacky, the place was full of figurines. There was too much furniture in the rooms, and the pieces were oversized and hard to get around. The master bedroom curtain valance that was broken and unsafe. The bedroom closet was half full of stuff, barely had room for my things. Then the living room: room stuffed with furniture and a huge dining cabinet that served no purpose other than to display even more figurines. We couldn't sit at the table bc it was too crammed, and we're not big people. The outside deck had a chair with an old shredded seat cushion. If that's your style, then great, maybe someone out there will think it's charming. Here's another mentionable: a knit blanket over the couch of a cartoonish bear with a fish in its mouth.

It must be someone's job to look the rooms and tell owners - BEFORE GUESTS STAY THERE - that their unit doesn't meet a standard and that less is more. It's not my responsibility and I resent that. I sent the mgt my feedback, but future guests should know what they are getting into.

Room Tip: Ask for one that isn't decorated by someone's granny
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank KMElla
Christy B, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for your insightful response. We are working with the homeowner to edit her unit and give it a more neutral feel. I hope you will come back and give The Village at Squaw Valley another chance. Please feel free to contact me when booking your next trip so we can get you a room better suited to your taste.

530-584-1000
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Village at Squaw in May. It was "off season" and extremely quiet. We were here with a group conference and I believe most everyone stayed at this resort. I wished we had stayed for 2 nights instead of just the one. We will be back and I believe our conference next year may also be back!

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you so much for your great review! May is a great time to visit when the crowds have died down and the wild flowers are blooming. We look forward to having your group back here next season!

Take care,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 9 May 2014

In the past two seasons, our family has enjoyed staying at the Village at Squaw Valley. The rooms are spacious, and the full-sized kitchen made it especially convenient for longer stays. (We have stayed in 1BR, 2BR and 3BR suites at various times.) Although the Village restaurants provide a diverse offering with many healthy choices, for longer stays, being able to stock the fridge and cook has made this a lovely retreat in the mountains for our family.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Christy B, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. The quick walk to the slopes is one of the many perks of staying in the heart of the action. Again, thank you for sharing. We look forward to seeing you next season!

The Village at Squaw Valley
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed 26 April 2014

My second time at The Village at Squaw Valley. Our two bedroom was perfect for our family (mom,dad & 4 teenagers). It's amazing to be able to walk to everything you need. Restaurants, shops, and the slopes. We particularly liked the roof top hot tubs. Soaking under the stars after a great day skiing and a wonderful meal is amazing! Staff and reservations people are all very friendly. I think this is one of the best vacation values anywhere. We'll be back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Christy B, General Manager at The Village At Squaw Valley, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Thank you for this wonderful review! I am so glad you enjoyed the full village experience, with all the shopping and dining. Come back this summer to enjoy all the activities we have going on in the coming months.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Olympic Valley
The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
PlumpJack Squaw Valley Inn
#2 of 5 in Olympic Valley
Grand Residences by Marriott, Tahoe - 1 to 3 bedrooms & Pent.
Grand Residences by Marriott, Ta...
#9 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
Marriott's Timber Lodge
Marriott's Timber Lodge
#10 of 66 in South Lake Tahoe
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,053 reviews

Been to The Village At Squaw Valley? Share your experiences!